Bride Rovers Notes

31 August, 2010

Bride Rovers GAA Notes

Triple Defeats for Hurling Teams

We all know that sport can be cruel and 'tis often said that it’s the pain of defeat that brings so much joy in victory. Well the past week has been a tough one for the Bride Rovers Club. In the space of just six days we took part in Minor, Senior and Under-21 hurling championship games and lost all three. The fact that we were decisively beaten in the three games is of little consolation. We've had heavy defeats before and we went long spells with little victory of any kind, but we always came back again after these defeats. The senior hurlers were beaten by Sarsfields, the minors by Carrignavar and the U-21's by Castlelyons. The quarter final defeat in the Senior Championship by Sars was perhaps the biggest disappointment of all. After having lost to St Finbarrs and Glen Rovers and then defeating Blarney and Carrigtwohill, hopes were high of a good display against the team that beat us in the County Final in 2008. On Sunday night however we simply never got going and were beaten by fifteen points. At Watergrasshill on Wednesday night our minors were beaten 1-16 to 1-1 by Carrignavar. A few weeks back we travelled to Carrig and after a thrilling League game we won well in the end. We knew Carrig were short a few players on the night but we still expected a close game in the Championship but alas we scored only a point from a free and a goal the last minute. On Monday night at Carrignavar we were simply outscored by Castlelyons in the U-21 quarter final. That game finished 1-16 to 0-7.

Senior Hurling v Sars

There was a fine crowd present in Pairc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday evening for this Co. quarter final game. Sars lost their first round game to Midleton and had a narrow 0-13 to 0-11 win over Killeagh in their second game. We opened brightly though Sars had two early wides. In the third minute Sean Ryan was fouled and Barry Johnson duly pointed the free. Sars had levelled when we were awarded a semi penalty. Unfortunately Denny Fitzgerald's shot was saved and this actually turned out to be an early turning point in the game. Sars took over and were ahead 0-4 to 0-2 after quarter of an hour - Padraig Murphy getting our second point. A Barry Johnson point from a free left us just one behind 0-4 to 0-3 after sixteen minutes. Sars doubled their tally to 8 in a six minute spell before Barry again from a free, made it 0-8 to 0-4 in the 23rd minute. With Cian McCarthy in point scoring mood, Sars added three more to lead by 0-11 to 0-4 at the break. In truth we were well off the pace and all over the field Sars were on top. Whether 'twas the fact that this was our 3rd championship game in 13 days or what, but we never got going. We looked tired and the Sarsfields' players were simply first to every ball. Sars went 9 up within 3 minutes of the interval. Barry pointed a free in the fifth minute but after that they got a goal to put them 1-13 to 0-5 ahead. It was at this stage that we showed some of the spirited play that our team is famous for. Two goals in the 38th and 44th minute from Donal Ryan brought us right back into the game 1-14 to 2-5. We needed to tack on a few points but it was Sars who added 1-2 in a five minute spell to go 2-16 to 2-5 up with ten minutes left. Our only further score was a point from a free. In the end Sars won by a whopping margin of 14 points, 2-20 to 2-6. We really never got going on the night and in the end suffered one of our heaviest defeats in our seven years at senior level. Two years ago in the Co. Final just a point separated the sides and now two years on to ship this heavy defeat was a real heartbreak. The players and management team have put in a huge effort this year. The aftermath of the Glen game was very traumatic for everyone in the club. We seemed to have got back on track in the last two games and no one saw this coming. That’s hurling for you but as I said, we've been down before but rose again.

Team & Scorers: Denis Fitzgerald, Shane Kearney, Brendan Walsh, Trevor Moloney, Brendan O'Driscoll, Barry Murphy, Aidan Collins, Padraig Murphy (0-1), Brian Murphy, Kieran Collins, Barry Johnson (0-5), Michael Collins, Jerome O'Driscoll, Donal Ryan (2-0), Sean Ryan.

Subs: Daniel Dooley, Michael Kearney, David Burke, Pat Cotter.

Minor Hurling

Carrignavar 1-16 Bride Rovers 1-1

Played in Watergrasshill on Wednesday night last, this game was a huge disappointment for all concerned. A point from a free and a last minute goal were our only two scores in the hour.

Team: F Hogan, B Hogan, A Buckley, B Collins, F Collins, J Pratt, R O'Connor, E Murphy, G Healy, S O'Leary, L O'Leary, J Mannix, M Dooley, P Dee, C Sewell.

U-21 Hurling Quarter Final

Castlelyons 1-16 Bride Rovers 0-7

We played second fiddle to Castlelyons in this game. The led by six points before Daniel Dooley had a point from a free. They scored a goal just before half time to leave them 1-6 to 0-1 ahead. Our lads showed a big improvement in the second half but Castlelyons scored point after point from frees. We did manage to score 6 points in the second half, four from Daniel Dooley and one each from Jason Mannix and Gerard Healy. Castlelyons now play Youghal in the semi final of this competition. Well done to Jason Pratt who played in goal despite a leg injury picked up in the minor game.

Team: Jason Pratt, Fergus Collins, Brian Collins, William O'Leary, Barry Collins, Michael Kearney, Ryan O'Connor, Stephen Boyce, Stephen Pratt, Gerard Healy, Jason Mannix, Eoin Murphy, Damien Buckley, Daniel Dooley, Daniel Lane.

Sub: Paul Dee.

Games Left

After these three defeats, the only championships we are still left in are Minor and Junior 'B' Football. We are still in possible contention in two of the Junior Leagues, so the season is not finished yet.


Last week’s draw took place in The Central Bar, Rathcormac for a jackpot of €8,600.
There was no jackpot winner.
The winners of this weeks five €30 'Luck Dips were;
.Claire Lynch c/o Mary Murphy
.John O’Gorman c/o Quinn Healthcare
.Mrs. Daunt c/o Flamingo Redz
.Henry Hazelwood, Rathcormac
.Nell Lane c/o Liam Cahill.
This weeks draw takes place in The Rathcormac Inn for a jackpot of €8,800.

Club Executive

The next meeting of the Club Executive is on Monday next September 6th at 9pm. in the Clubrooms. All members are asked to attend.

All Ireland Hurling Final

Next Sunday is All Ireland Final Day and in this the 126th year of the GAA it is possible that hurling history will be made. Between 1941 and 1944 the Cork hurlers won the four-in-a-row. Kilkenny completed this feat last year. In 1945 Cork hurlers were beaten but on Sunday next the Cats will try to rewrite the history books by winning the, never previously achieved, 'five-in-a-row'.