Russell Rovers Report

17 August, 2010

Russell Rovers GAA

Aghada 0-15 Russell Rovers 0-9

For the second time in the space of six days we were eliminated from another hurling championship, this time the U21BHC, with poor shooting from both play and placed balls again being a contributing factor in this quarter-final tie played in Ballinacurra last Friday night. The opposition had their quota of wides too but that should not be of any concern to us.

The opening exchanges were even enough with points by Brian Hartnett (2f) and Eoin McGrath, leaving us trailing by the bare minimum after 20 minutes. But in the last 8 minutes of the half Aghada opened up a 5 points gap to put them 0-9 to 0-4 in front at the break with Hartnett getting our other point. Andrew Hartnett in goal made some good saves with the fullback line of Barry O’Keeffe, Pa Crowley and Paul Lane playing solidly in front of him while at the other end James Ahern was unlucky not to goal late in the half. The second half was a tit-for-tat affair and while we added 5 points to our tally, courtesy of Brian Hartnett (3), Kevin Tattan and Dan Moynihan, we also spurned a number of other good scoring opportunities which, if taken, would have put us a lot closer at the final whistle. Aghada were reduced to 14 men for a straight red card dismissal with about 10 minutes remaining but we were unable to take advantage of same.

Team: Andrew Hartnett; Barry O’Keeffe, Paul Lane; David Whelehan, Daniel Moynihan, Anthony Walsh; Kevin O’Brien, Kevin Tattan; Brian Hartnett, John Ahern, Eoin McGrath; John Burke, Luke Cullinane, Alan Cott.

Subs: James Ahern and John Paul Walsh (both used).

Russell Rovers 1-13 St Vincents 2-8

Despite being knocked out of the championship four weeks ago, our minor hurlers put up a good display in the penultimate round of the Premier 2 league away to St Vincents last Tuesday night week. By collecting both points on offer, our interest in the league is maintained and providing we can overcome Courcey Rovers at home in our last game, a place in the play-off awaits us.

St Vincents opened the scoring with 3 points in as many minutes before Daniel O’Brien opened our account with a good point in the 4th minute. Kevin O’Brien added two from frees and another by Eoin McGrath from play edged us in front at the end of the first quarter. An inspired sideline switch saw Kevin Ivers move from corner-back to full-forward which paid an immediate dividend when he grabbed a high ball and billowed the net from close range. Kevin O’Brien continued to excel from placed balls by raising three more white flags before the home side got in for a goal against the run of play in the 30th minute after we lost possession needlessly in the middle of the field. This left the half-time score at 1-8 to 1-4 in our favour.

The second half saw St Vincents upping the ante, scoring 1-4 while Eoin McGrath, Kevin O’Brien and David Whelehan replied with points for Rovers to leave the sides deadlocked with 5 minutes remaining. In the 27th minute Ciarán Mullins regained the lead with a well-taken point and Kevin O’Brien added an insurance point from a long range free to take his personal tally to 0-7. Aidan Beausang had to retire in the first half with an injury in the groin area which necessitated a brief visit to hospital and we would like to take this opportunity to wish him a speedy recovery.

Team: Andrew Hartnett; Aaron Beausang, Aidan Beausang, Kevin Ivers; Daniel O’Brien, David Whelehan, Paul Lane; Sean Maher, Kevin O’Brien; Eoin McGrath, Shane Fleming, Jack McGrath; Ciarán Mullins, Joseph O’Flynn, James Moynihan.

Subs: Daniel Guerin, Brian Whelehan, Colman Quinlan.


JHL, Div 1: Russell Rovers v Lisgoold in Shanagarry on 20/8/10 at 7 pm


The club extends its sympathy to the O’Sullivan family, Monagurra on the death of Marion’s father, Larry Horgan, last week. May his soul rest in peace.