Russell Rovers Report

09 August, 2010

Russell Rovers GAA

Castlemartyr 0-18 Russell Rovers 1-11

We bowed out of this year’s East Cork Junior A hurling championship after a
disappointing performance against current champions Castlemartyr in the well-
prepared Pairc Uí Chinnéide venue, Killeagh last Saturday evening.
When the Rovers’ team and mentors sit down to reflect on this result in the cold light
of day there is only one conclusion open to them and that is this was a game that
we left behind us. Having defeated Carrigtwohill comfortably in the opening round
and with Castlemartyr struggling to overcome the same opposition in the 3rd round,
Rovers went into this quarter-final game confident that they could do the business but
unfortunately wayward shooting cost us dearly. We racked up nine wides in the
opening half, many of which were from scoreable positions, and added another five
in the second period. To add to our woes, we had to play 25 minutes against the wind
in the second half with only 14 men which forced a forward to be moved outfield,
leaving Castlemartyr with a spare man at the back to mop up loose ball which also
proved costly in the final analysis.
Rovers opened the scoring with a point by Seamus Kearney in the first minute with
Brian Hartnett adding four from play and frees and wing-back Dan Moynihan scoring
a beauty from out near the left sideline to give us a one point advantage after 22
minutes. Two minutes later Anthony Walsh got through on goal and unselfishly off-
loaded to Eoin Ivers on his right who made no mistake for the only goal of the game.
Our lead was short-lived, however, as the Reds fired over 4 points in a six minutes
spell, three of which came from needless close-in frees. Rovers regained the lead with
two points from John Ahern and Brian Hartnett in stoppage time to put us 1-8 to 0-9
ahead at the break.
With Castlemartyr turning to play with the strong breeze in the second period, this
margin seemed far from adequate and so it proved to be. Another thorn in the Rovers
side was the introduction of the injured ace marksman Jimmy Smiddy for the Reds
who bagged 5 points from play and frees without having to exert himself while
Rovers could only manage another three in the entire second half, courtesy of Barry
Hartnett, Eoin Ivers and Brian Hartnett. We were finding it difficult to get the ball up-
field and when we did, our inside forwards were outnumbered by a swarm defence.
For Rovers, Joe Walsh in goal didn’t put a foot wrong while in front of him Derek
Crowley, after conceding two early points, went on to have a fine game. Barry
Hartnett, Anthony Walsh and Kevin Tattan also tried hard.
Team: Joe Walsh; Anthony Archer, Derek Crowley, Barry Fitzgerald; John Paul
Ivers Padraig Higgins, Daniel Moynihan; Kevin Hartnett (Capt), John Ahern; Brian
Hartnett, Seamus Kearney, Barry Hartnett; Anthony Walsh, Eoin Ivers, Kevin Tattan.
Subs: Colin Crowley (used), Andrew Hartnett, Ian Smiddy, Kieran Ivers, Tadgh
Crowley, Brendan Kearney, Brian Crowley, Kevin O’Brien, David Whelehan, Eoin
McGrath, Aidan Beausang, Chris Scanlon, Paul Lane.

Blue Jeans Queen Festival
The Club would like to congratulate local girl Liz O’Brien, representing O’Brien’s
Skip Hire, who was crowned 2010 Blue Jeans Queen last Sunday night and we hope
you will enjoy your reign. The Club would like to thank everybody who helped to
make this year’s Festival a resounding success, especially to the patrons who attended
in huge numbers each night. Roll on 2011!