St Catherines

07 November, 2019

St Catherines GAA

Juvenile AGM tonight, Thursday November 7

Should there be games left to play it won’t make any difference. St Catherines juvenile club annual general meeting goes ahead in the clubrooms, Ballynoe on tonight (Thursday), November 7. Starting at 8pm, officers will be elected or re-elected. Reports will be read and adopted. Team managers to be appointed. Then general conversation will be thrown open to the floor. Time-wise you could be looking at two hours. 

It’s an important meeting. Placing the infrastructure of the underage section of the club in situ. Just a reminder again that the parent club AGM will be on in Lacken Hall at Glengoura on Saturday night, November 23rd at 8.30pm. Nomination papers have been circulated and must be returned to secretary Eleanor Galvin on or before Friday, November 8.

Lotto results

Being a bank holiday and last week’s lotto draw was held over until Tuesday night, October 29th at The Winner’s Enclosure, Conna. Numbers drawn were 3, 6, 9 and 14. There was no winner of the €4,600 jackpot. Consolation winners on the night being Eileen Neville, Ballynoe, Patrick O’Neill, Kilphilibeen, Ballynoe, Johnny Sheehan, Ballybride, Conna, Joan Flynn, Ballytrasna, Fermoy and Marian O’Neill, Ballynoe.

Your juvenile column

Final division two Rebel Óg east U16 football league

Mayfield 4-15 St Catherines 1-00

“As it was in the beginning”.. “so shall it end”!

Eight months to the day since the Saints started out their season at the venue and the opposition again confirm their superiority with this emphatic success in the final of the Rebel Óg east division 2 U16 football league when played at Mayfield on Saturday morning last. As we declared after the shield final at Ballynoe a week previously this is by far the best team encountered in the group. Irrespective of their lack of progress in the all-important championship. Their work rate, physical power, pace - call it what you will - is dominant and few would complain with the end result.

Midfielder Jake Courtney was quick to stamp his authority on proceedings. Pointing twice in the opening exchanges, also having a vital part to play in the opening two goals, both finished off by full forward Kyle Harrington. Before Kyle Wallace picked out Gearoid O’Brien to finish off a well take albeit consolation Saints goal on a half-time score standing at 2-07 to 1-00.

With conditions in their favour and with the very good Evan Brown adding a further brace of second half goals it was all over long before the finish.

Afterwards, Sean Twohig, chairman Rebel Óg East, presented the winning trophy to captain for the day, wing forward Jamie Lotty and hopefully now Mayfield can win a title their talent deserves.

Scorer: G O’Brien (1-00). Mayfield scorers: E Brown (2-04), K Harrington (2-00), J Courtney (0-02 45”) (0-01 free) (0-05), S Murphy and C Cahill (0-02 each), A Healy Byrne and D Hurley (0-01 each). St Catherine’s team: Evan Philpott, Nathan Sheehan, Eoin O’Riordan, Fionn O’Connell, Harry Draper, Mark Geary, Darragh Galvin, Kyle Wallace, Conor England, Ben O’Connor, Tom Hartnett, William Leamy, Stephen Cotter, Gearoid O’Brien and Ger Leahy. Subs: William McAuliffe and Denis Temple for Ger Leahy and Stephen Cotter (both second half). Cathal Sheehan for Gearoid O’Brien (41’). 

Referee: Robert Whelan (Aghada).

Semi-final division one Rebel Óg east U16 hurling league

Killeagh/Ita’s 0-10 

St Catherines 0-03

Awful, dire, truly desperate conditions. Still it’s the same for both teams. You must play with the cards you are dealt. Heavy mist, rain driven on by a strong breeze prevailing for the semi-final of the division one Rebel Óg East U16 hurling league when played under the lights at Killeagh on Wednesday evening, October 30 last.

Thirteen points scored in the entire game. Seven from frees gives you some idea how difficult it was to strike the sliotar up and down the windy, soggy pitch. Killeagh/Itas lead 0-03 to 0-01 at the break. Taking a William Leamy pass it was substitute Cathal Dineen fired over the Saints’ point after eighteen minutes. George Walsh Wallace from placed balls extended the home team’s advantage. Likewise Gearoid O’Brien also a free and Harry Draper from play replied for the Saints. Making it 0-06 to 0-03 to the end of the third quarter. Jamie Fogarty again from placed balls on target near the finish for an eager Killeagh.

Scorers: C Dineen, H Draper and G O’Brien (free) (0-01 each). Killeagh/Ita’s scorers – G Walsh Wallace and J Fogarty (0-03 each, frees), E Lane (0-02), D Walsh and C Landers (0-01 each).

St Catherines team: Evan Philpott, Fionn O’Connell, Eoin O’Riordan, Nathan Sheehan, Ben O’Connor, Darragh Galvin, Mark Geary (captain), Kyle Wallace, Conor England, Gearoid O’Brien, William Leamy, Harry Draper, Sean O’Donoghue, Tom Hartnett and Denis Temple. Subs: Cathal Dineen for Tom Hartnett (14’), Oisín Fitzgerald for Ben O’Connor (second half), Stephen Cotter for Denis Temple (42’). William McAuliffe, Ger Leahy and Adam O’Donnell for Kyle Wallace, Gearoid O’Brien and Sean O’Donoghue (all 57’). James O’Callaghan and Cathal Sheehan for Fionn O’Connell and William Leamy (both 59’). Also: James Mulcahy and Colum Fenney. 

Referee: Shane Hodgins (Knockshegowna).

Parish leagues

U11/12 finals

Success was shared through the U11/12 parish league finals when held under the lights at Ballynoe on Friday night last.

Galway, under the captaincy of Sacha O’Sullivan, defeated Cork (2-01 to 0-02) in the hurling final. Revenge for the Rebels who overcame the Galway challenge in the equivalent football decider. Final score Cork 2-03 Galway 2-02. Winning Cork football captain being Cathal Barry. It was planned to stage the rest of the programme on Saturday morning. But that didn’t materialise. Brian Sheehan would be hopeful, weather permitting, that could go ahead on this forthcoming Saturday morning.

Panels: Galway - Sacha O’Sullivan (hurling captain), Tristan Clancy, Kyle O’Donoghue, Maeve Egan, Gráinne Dinneen, Jake Pratt, Shane O’Donoghue, Marie O’Connor, Katie O’Donovan, Alan Cotter and Ally Mulkerrins. Cork - Cathal Barry (football captain), Gearoid Sheehan, Julian Pietropaolo, Ciara Fitzgerald, Sophie Early, Shay Wallace, Callum O’Driscoll, Sophia Fitzgerald, Emma Twomey, Chloe Higgins and Faye Sheehan.


A third successive award for rebel Patrick Horgan and fourth in all when the All-Star hurling team was revealed on Thursday morning last. Nominated though not successful was Alan Cadogan. As was Brian Hurley with the football team. Player of the year awards went to Seamus Callanan and Stephen Cluxton. While Adrian Mullen and Seán O’Shea picked up the young players of the year awards.

Review of the 1994 intermediate hurling championship

A successful reunion at Curraheen Park on Saturday night last has triggered off the need for a review of the 1994 intermediate hurling championship. A campaign starting out with a first round clash v Glen Rovers at Rathcormac on the afternoon of Sunday, July 10. Glen Rovers pointed the first two scores of the match. Catherines settling down and Mike Walsh completed the hat-trick with his third and Catherines fifth goal on fifty nine minutes, setting up a resounding first round success on an end scoreline standing at 5-10 to 1-09.

Setting up a second round clash against Midleton at Copper Alley grounds in Youghal on the evening of Friday, July 20 with a 7.30pm throw-in. First half goals from Christy Clancy and Martin O’Keeffe establishing a 2-05 to 0-03 half time lead. Then following a timely Michael Dorgan block it was Donal O’Leary who scored a third goal and Catherines well able to absorb the concession of a duo of magpie goals through Kevin Hennessy in attaining a six point win. Finishing up at 3-09 to 2-06. 

Overriding memory would be a savage fog descending near game’s end. If it fell earlier it could have put the fixture in doubt. Also Catherines wides tally. Twenty three in all. Fifteen in the first half and eleven before raising a white flag. So plenty of work still to be done with the quarter-final v Cobh set for Carrigtwohill a week later on the evening of Sunday, August 7 with the games now coming thick and fast.

Catherines shading it at half-time. Leading by the minimum when ahead at 1-07 to 1-06. Cobh were a formidable test and it was they who were ahead by a point at 4-08 to 1-16 to fifty two minutes. Before Christy Clancy who finished with a tally of 1-13 slipped in for the crucial and match winning second goal of a county quarter-final tie finished in fading light. It ended in Catherines favour on a scoreline of 2-18 to 4-10.

St Catherines had played Delany’s once previously recording an emphatic and resounding success over the northside city team on a first round tie at Rathcormac in the spring of 1991. But there was nothing easy in their semi-final clash at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday, August 21. Throw-in 2pm. Catherines made a good start. Grateful for an early goal from Donal O’Leary. But that was a good Delany’s team with prominent players in Christopher Walsh, George Healy, John O’Driscoll, Barry and Kevin Egan, Mark and Declan McElhinny and they were setting the pace before a second Catherine’s goal finished off by Dave O’Connell had the deficit down to a point on a half time scoreline of 1-09 to 2-05. Still Delaney’s held an advantage. Moving further ahead to lead 2-13 to 2-07. Inspirational play from Johnny Sheehan, who scored three points, and receiving able support from Denis Walsh and second half substitute Seamus Neville and the Saints clawed their way back into it.

Then Donal O’Leary again was on to a Sheehan line ball before sending an unstoppable drive to Delany’s net on fifty six minutes. Further points followed from Kieran Morrison and a brace from Christy Clancy, including one from a sideline and Catherines were in the final on an end scoreline of 3-16 to 2-15.

Off to a flyer. Catherines ahead at 1-04 without reply. Cloughduv clawing it back. Before Brian Cotter with 1-01 had the Saints back in front again and ahead on a half time scoreline of 2-05 to 1-05 when the final was played at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on the afternoon of Sunday, September 11. Dave O’Connell goaled early in the second half. Points followed from Donal O’Leary, Kieran Morrison and two from Christy Clancy. Catherines ahead by nine. Cloughduv slipped in for the final three scores of the match including a goal from Kevin Murray. But the gap was too wide, Catherines champions. Finishing up at 3-12 to 2-11. Afterwards Dan Hoare, treasurer of the Cork County Board presented the Jim Long cup to winning captain Patsy O’Donoghue. At the post match meal held at The Grand Hotel, Fermoy Denis Walsh was named Man of the Match. Present on the day were Bishop Buckley, auxiliary Bishop of Cork who called into the dressing room. Bertie Ahern an Taoiseach was an interested spectator. Mentors were Cathal Casey, Pa Finn, Pat Clancy and Pat Aherne.

Panel: Michael Dorgan, Maurice Hartnett, Barrie O’Regan, Shane O’Connell, Pat Fitzgerald, Denis Walsh, Patsy O’Donoghue, Johnny Sheehan, James Sheehan, Donal O’Leary, Kieran Morrison, Christy Clancy, Mike Walsh, David O’Connell, Brian Cotter, Martin O’Keeffe, Eddie Geaney, Seamus Neville, Eppy Hartnett, Edward Sheehan, Ger Morrison, Declan O’Neill, James Spillane, John Hartnett, Denis Buckner, Sean Buckley, Edmond Galvin and Alan Magee.

Next week we focus on the juvenile AGM. Then we will go back to the intermediate hurling league and U21A hurling championship of 1994 in the weeks to follow. Be patient!


T&A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are sponsors of St Catherines GAA Club, Mulcahy Steel are juvenile club sponsors.