Carrigtwohill GAA Club

23 September, 2019

Carrigtwohill GAA Club Notes 23-9-19


As we’ve gotten to the business end of the year our adult teams have been out almost every weekend with the games coming thick and fast. The support that has been shown to our hurlers at every game has been fantastic and we would like to thank everyone who has come out to roar the lads on.

We value input from every supporter and as such Carrigtwohill GAA is looking for your opinions. A detailed survey about how we build a bright future for our club has been compiled and will be distributed through club channels in the coming days. Every voice counts. We look forward to hearing yours.

Cork County Board Draw

Support the club’s development by joining the Cork County Board Draw. 55% goes directly to your club; there are a number of draws every year. Please contact Club Registrar Sheila Boland on 085 8086501 to register.

Senior Hurling Championship

Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final Carrig 3-17 (26) Ballyhea 2-16 (22) in Páirc Uí Rinn on Sunday, September 15th at 2pm. Referee: Simon Stokes (Tullylease)

Last Sunday week was a day for Carrig's historians to get out the books and double-check a few things. Carrig's win over Ballyhea saw them advance to a Senior Hurling County Semi-final for the first time since 2011? Check. The 3-17 that the team racked up was Carrig's highest championship total since the summer of 2015? Check. Carrig scored 3 goals in a Championship match for the first time since Round 4 against Bishopstown in 2013? Correct but Carrig scored 2 of those goals in extra time. Carrig haven't scored 3 goals in 60 minutes of Senior Hurling since the 2009 Relegation Final win over Castlelyons. And since coming up Senior in 2007, James Mulcahy's hat-trick is the 1st time Carrig have scored 3 goals in 60 minutes of a Championship proper match. Speaking of which, Mulcahy's second half hat-trick was the first championship hat-trick by a Carrig player since Seanie O'Farrell's feat in the 2007 Premier Intermediate Final. Seanie was 30 then and Mulcahy is 18 now? Check and check.

For all the history that was made in the second half, Carrig were so-so in the first. Ballyhea won a '65 from the throw-in which they converted but Jay Horgan responded immediately from the puckout. Ballyhea stretched their lead to 2 points before 3 Liam Gosnell scores in a row (0-2f) had Carrig in front 0-4 to 0-3 after 10 minutes. Ballyhea drew level and then pushed ahead when a mix up in the Carrig full back line saw a high ball break to Pa O'Callaghan and he netted the opening goal. Jamie McCarthy almost responded in kind by running onto the resultant puckout but his shot was well saved and cleared. Carrig did answer with scores from Sean Rohan and another Gosnell free; 0-6 to 1-4 after 18 minutes. Pat O'Sullivan, Ronan Power and Aaron Walsh Barry were battling well but Ballyhea had restored their goal advantage by the 22 minute mark. Sean Rohan again provided Carrig's response but 2 quick frees in succession saw Ballyhea stretch to their biggest lead of the day;

0-7 to 1-8. In years past this game might have got away from Carrig but this is a different team and three great points from Rohan, Jamie McCarthy and Brendan Twomey had Carrig within the minimum after 30 minutes of play. Ballyhea added one more score to their tally but Carrig had the last say in the half when Tomás Hogan pointed off his left. 0-11 to 1-9 at the turnaround.

Carrig signalled their intent right from the off in the 2nd half with a series of hard hits and tackles that led to a Gosnell free to bring Carrig level. Sean Rohan then put Carrig in front with his 4th score of the day. Ballyhea regained parity with a free and then retook the lead when a push on corner-back Paul Barden went unpunished and Ballyhea stole in for their 2nd goal. Rohan and Gosnell again stood up for Carrig and tacked on another point apiece as Carrig wouldn't lie down. 10 minutes gone in the 2nd half; 0-15 to 2-10. Carrig retook the lead that would see them over the line and they did it in emphatic fashion when first half substitute James Mulcahy buried 3 goals in 10 minutes of play. The first came from a rebound after Gosnell's driving effort was saved. The second was the culmination of great ball-winning by Pat O'Sullivan who fed Rohan whose direct running created the space to pass to Mulcahy; goal no. 2. The hat-trick was sealed when Seamus Roche made a lung-bursting run through the middle and his handpass was cleverly batted to the net by Mulcahy. Ballyhea added 2 points in between the 3 goals and trailed Carrig 3-15 to 2-12 with 10 minutes to go. It was Carrig who stretched their lead when the outstanding Jay Horgan struck over his 2nd point of the day and Gosnell added his 7th to round out Carrig's total. Ballyhea didn't go away quietly however and got within 4 points as Carrig put up a great rearguard action with Padraic Hogan, Colm O'Connell and Paul Barden clearing a world of ball and McCarthy, Roche and Twomey working hard up front. Devlin was forced to make a couple of great reflex saves and as the clock ticked down Rohan popped up inside the Carrig '21 to repel another attack from the Avondhu men and the final whistle sealed Carrig's win.

It was an excellent display of character, determination and no little skill from our lads. This team has grown an incredible amount over the course of the year and when you consider that 6 of Carrig's 7 scorers are 24 years or younger or that Carrig's top 3 scorers from this game alone are 18, 20 and 24 respectively, the future looks bright.

Well done to the players and management team on an excellent win. Carrig will now meet Glen Rovers in the county semi-final proving that whilst you can beat the sweeper or the 3rd midfielder, you can't beat tradition. Skyscrapers are going up all over Cork and Carrig are 60 minutes from a county final. The boom is back. Carrig Abú!

Scorers: J. Mulcahy 3-0, L. Gosnell 0-7 (0-4f), S. Rohan 0-5, J. Horgan 0-2, B. Twomey, J. McCarthy, T. Hogan 0-1 each.

Team: S. Devlin, P. O'Sullivan, R. Power, P. Barden, P. Hogan, C. O'Connell, A. Walsh Barry, J. Horgan, B. Twomey, S. Rohan, T. Hogan, J. McCarthy, S. Roche, L. Gosnell, E. O'Mahony. Subs used: J. Mulcahy.

Junior Hurling Championship

East Cork Junior B Hurling Championship Quarter Final Carrig 2-16 (22) Killeagh 4-13 (25) in Castlemartyr on Sunday, September 8th at 2pm. Referee: Shane Hodgins (St. Catherines)

Carrig let slip a 10 point half-time lead to crash out of this year's Junior B Hurling Championship in Castlemartyr.

Played in glorious sunshine Carrig and Killeagh traded early scores before Carrig managed to exert themselves midway through the opening half. When Ollie Baverstock buried Carrig's opening goal they led 1-7 to 0-5 and doubled that lead just before the half with further points from Liam O'Sullivan, Luke Kelly O'Regan (0-1f, 0-1 '65) and a 2nd goal from Niall Mulligan. Carrig led 2-10 to 0-6 at the break.

Six more Luke Kelly frees were all Carrig could muster in the second half however. Killeagh pulled a goal back early in the half and added a couple of points to keep in touching distance. 3 Killeagh goals in the final quarter left Carrig trailing for the first time in the match and when Kelly added his 6th free of the half Carrig were within 1 score; 2-16 to 4-11. However it was Killeagh who added 2 more points and 2 late Carrig frees couldn't find the net.

The club would like to thank the management team of Anthony Barry, Peter Furlong, Peter Hogan and Billy Scriven for their efforts and in particular to the lads who turned up all year.

Scorers: L. Kelly O'Regan 0-14 (0-10f, 0-1 '65), O. Baverstock 1-1, N. Mulligan 1-0 L. O'Sullivan 0-1

Team: R. O'Donovan, J. Scully, D. O'Connor, G. O'Brien, S. O'Hanlon, A. Gosnell, K. Coady, L. O'Sullivan, C. O'Sullivan, N. Mulligan, C. McCarthy, L. Kelly O'Regan, D. McCann, C. Keegan, O. Baverstock Subs used: M. Kidney, D. Mullins Subs: C. Rohan, D. Scriven, J. Ahern, Inj: S. Dempsey Away: A. McNamara

U21 Hurling Championship

East Cork U21 A Hurling Championship Round Robin Carrig 0-20 Watergrasshill 2-13 in Lisgoold on Sunday, September 22nd at 6pm. Referee: Willie Wallis (Midleton)

One year on, Carrig and Watergrasshill played out another intense East Cork u21 hurling championship clash in Lisgoold. Last summer Carrig had to overturn an 8-point half-time deficit but this one went right to the wire and it took 3 late Liam Gosnell points in injury-time to secure the win.

Carrig started off well and were 0-3 up inside 6 minutes thanks to Gosnell (0-2f). Watergrasshill responded with 1-3 on the bounce before 4 Gosnell frees and points from Daire McCann and Daire Crotty had Carrig back in front 0-9 to 1-3 heading towards half-time. Watergrasshill notched 2 frees late in the half to leave the minimum in it at the break; 0-9 to 1-5.

The 2nd half was a frantic affair and Conor O'Mahony opened the scoring for Carrig with an outstanding point out on the left sideline followed by a 2nd for Crotty. 2 Watergrasshill frees were matched by scores from Gosnell and John Carroll. 2 more Gosnell frees answered a point from the

'Hill and Carrig led 0-15 to 1-8 with 48 minutes gone. Watergrasshill goaled to get back into the game however and they took the lead with 2 more scores before another Gosnell placed ball had Carrig level; 0-16 to 2-10 with 55 minutes gone. Watergrasshill then scored 3 of the next 4 points with John Carroll, who was a willing outlet all night, providing Carrig's score. 62 minutes gone and Carrig trailed 0-17 to 2-13. Carrig won a series of dirty balls through Aaron Walsh Barry, Brendan Twomey and Daire Sullivan which gave Baverstock, Sean De Búrca and Gosnell the necessary opportunities up top. The winning score was an outstanding free from midfield, out on the right sideline, into the fading light.

Carrig's u21s now progress to an East Cork semi-final after topping their group with 3 wins from 3. Well done to the lads and to the management team for their efforts so far.

Scorers: L. Gosnell 0-14 (0-11f), J. Carroll 0-2, D. Crotty and O. Baverstock 0-2 each, Conor O'Mahony and Dara McCann 0-1 each.

Team: R. O'Donovan, J. Scully, B. Twomey, D. Rooney, S. O'Hanlon, A. Walsh Barry, D. Sullivan, K. Coady, C. O'Mahony, L. Gosnell, M. Kidney, D. Crotty, J. Carroll, O. Baverstock, D. McCann. Subs used: S. De Búrca, D. Folasaide, C. Horgan. Subs: D. Flynn, G. O'Brien, C. Carroll, A. O'Driscoll, B. Scully, J. Noonan, C. Keegan, C. Flynn.

Minor Hurling Championship

Rebel Óg East Minor A Hurling Championship Final Carrig 3-22 (31) St. Colmans 1-9 (12) in Killeagh on Wednesday, September 11th at 7.15pm. Referee: Cathal McAllister (Aghada)

Carrig were in impressive form in claiming the East Region Minor A Hurling Championship Final under lights in Killeagh last Wednesday week.

St. Colmans notched the opening 2 points of the game but from thereon out Carrig were in unstoppable mood as their direct running and interplay put them out of sight. Corner-forward Justin Oke was quick out of the blocks and had 3 of Carrig's first 5 points inside the opening 10 minutes with Sean Walsh and David Joseph scoring 0-1 apiece; the latter after a lung-bursting run from midfield. St. Colmans and James Mulcahy traded points to leave Carrig ahead 0-6 to 0-3 after the first quarter. Carrig were dominant from there to the half however and they outscored Colmans 1-7 to 0-3 during this period. Sean Walsh accounted for 0-4 (0-2f, 0-1 '65), Oke got his 4th point of the half and midfielder Daire Sullivan struck a fine score from distance. David Folasaide was causing wreck inside full-forward and after his point nearly crept under the bar he made no mistake with his 2nd opportunity, batting cleverly to the net after a driving run. Carrig led 1-13 to 0-6 at half-time.

Colmans again opened the scoring in the half but there was no let-up from the champions-to-be. Oke grabbed his 5th, Mulcahy his 2nd and Walsh added 2 more points (0-1f) to extend Carrig's lead before Adrian Browne picked up a ball on the far sideline and drove at the Colmans defense before powering to the net. A James Mulcahy free had the scoreboard showing Carrig 2-18 to St. Colmans 0-7. Colmans rallied with 3 points in response either side of Oke's 6th point of the evening. Carrig reeled off the last 4 scores of the match including a 2nd goal from Folasaide and further scores from

Walsh, Oke and wing-back Cian Horgan. Unfortunately, St. Colmans finished with 12 men on the field and Carrig also saw James Mulcahy dismissed late on.

It was a hugely impressive performance from Carrig with every line on top throughout the game. The defence was in bullish mood led by team captain David Rooney at centre-back and the effort and work-rate from every player was a testament to their training and coaching.

The club would like to extend its congratulations to the entire management team and the players on a fantastic achievement in winning the East Region final. Carrig now go on to meet Newcestown in a county semi-final with the details to be confirmed.

Scorers: S. Walsh 0-8 (0-3f, 0-1 '65), J. Oke 0-7, D. Folasaide 2-1, J. Mulcahy 0-3 (0-1f), A. Browne 1-0, D. Joseph, D. Sullivan, C. Horgan 0-1 each.

Team: D. Flynn, B. Scully, S. De Búrca, N. Harte, C. Carroll, D. Rooney (C), C. Horgan, D. Sullivan, D. Joseph, D. Folasaide, S. Walsh, J. Mulcahy, J. Carroll, A. Browne, J. Oke Subs used: C. Thornton, C. O'Riordan.


Junior B Hurling Championship Quarter-Final Sunday, September 8th Carrig 2-16 Killeagh 4-13 in Castlemartyr

Minor Hurling Championship East Region Final Wednesday, September 11th Carrig 3-22 St. Colmans 1-9 in Killeagh

Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final Sunday, September 15th Carrig 3-17 Ballyhea 2-16 in Páirc Uí Rinn

U21 A Hurling Championship Round Robin Sunday, September 22nd Carrig 0-20 Watergrasshill 2-13 in Lisgoold


Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final Weekend, October 5th/6th Carrig vs Glen Rovers in Páirc Uí Rinn

Minor Hurling Championship County Semi-Final TBC Carrig vs Newcestown