St Catherines GAA

25 April, 2019

St Catherines GAA

Castlelyons advance from Ballynoe

Bill Cooper points a free on forty-one minutes. Youghal are now one point ahead. Seconds later Castlelyons lose an influential player to a straight red card. Pressure on as we enter the business end of this county premier intermediate hurling championship first round tie played in sunny conditions at Ballynoe on Saturday evening last. But when the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Within a minute David Morrison negotiates a path through the opposition defence. He is rewarded with a well-earned goal. Actually the excitement had hardly died down when a delightfully executed cross-field Shane Moroney pass picked out a virtually isolated Alan Fenton to quickly add number two. You would wonder who was the man short! Further points flowed. Michael Spillane and Keith O’Leary among the scorers. In all a tally of 2-04 without reply in an uninterrupted twelve minute spell. Game over!

It was a match that was a success too from an organisational point of view. Greatly helped by favourable weather conditions, which further boosted the attendance. Despite plenty of attractions elsewhere. Gates were well staffed and the parking of cars looked after efficiently. Fiona Sheehan, treasurer St Catherines Juvenile GAA Club co-ordinated programme sellers. We thank Youghal’s Alan Hennessy and Michael Barrett, secretary Castlelyons GAA Club for their co-operation and efficiency in its compilation. 

Very shortly now the build-up will start to the Catherines/Cloughduv clash on Friday evening, May 3.


Round Four Intermediate Hurling League Div4

St Catherines 1-17 Aghada 0-10 

A significant point scoring contribution from Brian Mulcahy laid the platform for a second win of the campaign when this round four division four intermediate hurling league tie was played in Ballynoe on Friday evening last. 

Richard Galvin and a subliminal score from a sweetly struck Daniel Mangan sideline cut also made the register with the Saints finding themselves ahead on a half time scoreline of 0-10 to 0-03. Probably the crucial score though was when following a foul on Rory Galvin saw goalkeeper Eoin Davis goal the resultant penalty just two minutes into the second half. Mark McCarthy and Charlie Terry were on target for the opposition. But the margin was too wide.

Aghada scorers: C Terry (0-01 free) (0-03), M McCarthy (0-01 65’) (0-01 free) (0-02), K O’Hanlon, C Fleming, A Berry, D Creedon and T Hartnett (0-01 each). St Catherine’s scorers: B Mulcahy (0-08), E Davis (1-00 penalty), Richard Galvin (0-03), S Cotter and D Mangan (0-01 sideline cut) (0-02 each), R Galvin and R Clancy (0-01 each).

St Catherine’s team: E Davis, J Neville, L O’Connor, E Wallace, C Hegarty, D Lonergan, S Cotter, Shane O’Brien, C Kearney, R Galvin, B Mulcahy, D Mangan, B O’Brien, P Roche and Richard Galvin. Subs: N O’Regan for B O’Brien (24’), W Walsh for L O’Connor (second half), Stephen O’Brien for C Hegarty (48’), T O’Donnell for C Kearney (51’), B Davis for Richard Galvin (52’), R Clancy for P Roche (55’). Also: E Aherne and S Walsh. Referee: Arthur Murphy (Killeagh).

Rebel Óg East Round Three Division Two Minor Hurling League 

Carraig na bhFear 0-16 St Catherines 1-18 

First win of the campaign for the Saints. Collecting the points on offer from this round three division two minor hurling league tie when played in spring like conditions at Carraig na bhFear on Wednesday evening, April 17.

Off to the perfect start, registering five unanswered points through the opening nine minutes. It was a lead still standing at 0-06 to 0-02 to the end of the opening quarter. But then the opposition almost completely took over. Seán O’Donoghue and Ciaran O’Regan registered on the scoreboard. Timothy Hegarty impressive and unerring with his free taking. Seven points without reply was the return. Before somewhat against the run of play when Kevin Barry was on hand finishing off the Saints and the game’s only goal on twenty two minutes. Parity restored on a half time scoreline of 0-11 to 1-08. 

It was to remain level pegging on numerous occasions as the contest progressed. But a four-point scoring burst midway through the second half with contributions from Conor England, Gearóid O’Brien, Tom Hartnett and Adam O’Brien probably sealed the deal. 

Next up is a visit to Whitechurch this weekend.

Scorers: K Barry (1-04), C O’Brien (frees) and T Hartnett (0-04 each), G O’Brien (0-02), J Duncan, C Dineen, A O’Brien and C England (0-01 each). St Catherine’s team: E Sheehan, J Hayes, E O’Riordan, G O’Brien, C O’Brien, G England, D McDonnell, K Wallace, K Barry, A O’Brien, C Dineen, T Hartnett and J Duncan.

Subs: C England for C Dineen (second half), W McAuliffe for J Duncan (51’), E Philpott for E Sheehan (53’), C Roberts for K Wallace (57’). Also on panel: D Galvin and H Draper. Referee: Donal Kickham (Delaneys).

Rebel Óg East Round Two U16 Hurling League Div1

Fr O’Neills 1-07 

St Catherines 3-16 

Despite the one sided look to the scoreline it was the opposition who made the better start to this Rebel Óg East round two division one U16 hurling league tie.

Originally billed for the Monday but because of some appalling weather was delayed and played at Ahavine twenty four hours later on Tuesday evening, April 16 last. John Swayne goaled for O’Neills in their first attack. Alan O’Mahony and James Murphy added points, making it 1-02 to 0-03 to nine minutes. But the visitors were getting their act together. Mark Geary clearing his lines at wing back and the exchange in the roles provided for Denis Temple and Ben O’Connor worked a treat and parity was restored at 1-03 to 0-06 right at the end of the opening quarter.

Then exercising their first real grip on proceedings when a probing Conor England delivery came back into play off the post and ideally placed Ger Leahy crashed home the rebound. Making it 1-08 to 1-03 on twenty-five minutes and again at 1-10 to 1-03 to the sound of the half time whistle. As it was two wonderful goals both finished off by the pacy Gearóid O’Brien midway through the second half duly settled this league encounter.

Fr O’Neill’s scorers: J Swayne (0-02 frees) (1-04), A O’Mahony, J Murphy and M O’Neill (0-01 each). St Catherine’s scorers: G O’Brien (0-03 frees) (2-05), G Leahy (1-00), T Hartnett and K Wallace (0-03 each), C England (0-02), C Dineen, S Cotter and W Leamy (0-01 each).

St Catherine’s team: E Philpott, J O’Callaghan, E O’Riordan, C Bryan, D Temple, D Galvin, M Geary, C England, K Wallace, G O’Brien, W Leamy, C Dineen, G Leahy, T Hartnett and B O’Connor.

Subs: N Sheehan, S Cotter and W McAuliffe for J O’Callaghan, D Temple and G Leahy (all second half), K O’Donoghue and O Fitzgerald for D Galvin and C Bryan (both 40’). Also present: S O’Donoghue, H Draper, F O’Connell and C Sheehan. 

Referee: Niall O’Neill (Midleton).

Round Two Premier Two U12 Hurling League

St Catherines 4-08 Grenagh 1-09 

Safe to say that visitors Grenagh with a deceptively stiffish breeze at their backs were the better team through the opening passages of this round two premier two U12 hurling league tie when played in sunny Ballynoe on Saturday afternoon last.

Harry Daly, Shane Morley and Seán Henchion all finding the target and were ahead at the end of the opening twenty five minute half on a 1-07 to 2-01 scoreline. But it all changed utterly on the turn around. Julian Pietropaolo with the lead goal at 3-03 to 1-07 just three minutes into the second half. At the other end Alan Cotter was very sharp between the posts. Conor Murray working hard and outside of them Tristan Clancy hurled an ocean of ball. While John Temple was unerring with his free taking. Victory seemed assured when Ally Mulkerrins completing her hat trick when scoring the fourth Saints goal. 

Next up for the U12’s are football in Carrigtwohill and hurling league in Newtownshandrum.

Scorers: A Mulkerrins (3-01), J Temple (0-07 frees) and J Pietropaolo (1-00). 

St Catherine’s team: A Cotter, F McCreedy, C Murray, S Aherne, T Clancy, S Wallace, J Temple, J Pratt, J Kenneally, G Sheehan, J Pietropaolo, C O’Driscoll and A Mulkerrins. Also: T Dee, K O’Donoghue, C Hickey, L Kilmartin, B Aherne and S O’Donoghue. 

Referee: James Hennessy (Kiltha Óg).

Thirteen A Side Division Three Peil na nÓg Final. St Catherines 4-03 Ballygarvan 1-05. Semi-finals. Ballygarvan 3-07 White’s Cross 3-05.

St Catherines 0-06 Courcey Rovers 0-03

St Catherines absorbing the concession of two points from the opening exchanges went on to dominate the remainder of the first half. Thus laying the platform leading to a seven-point victory from this thirteen a side division three Peil na nÓg final when played at Mayfield on bank holiday Easter Monday last.

Ciaran Pietropaolo and Seán O’Donoghue among the first half goalscorers in a 3-01 to 0-03 half time lead. Ballygarvan came right back into it and with prominent players in Eamon McCarthy and Eoin Gallagher whittled the margin down to two points not long after the interval. Kian O’Donoghue with his second and a fourth Saints goal late on confirmed the win. St Catherines had earlier seen off a commendable Courcey Rovers challenge (0-6 to 0-03) in the semi-final. Afterwards Eoin O’Mahony of the host venue in the absence of Rebel Óg secretary Donal Whooley now on the way to Kerry for a funeral, made the presentation to team captain Seán O’Donoghue.

Next up St Catherines will represent Cork in the All-Ireland Peil na nÓg finals in Leitrim towards the end of June. Also hosting a Wexford club when the Féile na nGael comes to Ballynoe as part of Cork hosting the event on June 7th/8th and 9th. A selector with Ballygarvan was ex Catherines player Richard Sheehan whose nephew Nathan was on the Saints line out. Referees last Monday were Jason Smyth and Carren Treacy both of Nemo Rangers.

Scorers v Ballygarvan: K O’Donoghue (2-02), C Pietropaolo and S O’Donoghue (1-00 each) and O Fitzgerald (0-01). Scorers v Courcey Rovers: K O’Donoghue (0-03 frees), O Fitzgerald (0-01 free) (0-02) and C Pietropaolo (0-01).

St Catherine’s panel of players: Jake Bryan, Darragh Morrison, Evan O’Driscoll, Diarmuid O’Donovan, Nathan Sheehan, Cathal McAuliffe, Oisín Fitzgerald, Kieran Kelleher, Ciaran Leamy, Seán O’Donoghue, Ciaran Pietropaolo, Cathal Sheehan, Kian O’Donoghue, Timothy Barry, Diarmuid O’Connell, Shane Cotter, Conor Hayes, Colum Feeney, Cian McCarthy, Cian Dunning, Dylan Murphy and Adam Bryan.

Easter Camp

Unfortunately poor weather reared its ugly head for the first scheduled day so the traditional Easter mini-camp went ahead on the pitches in Ballynoe on Tuesday 16th and Wednesday April 17th of last week. There were approx fifty in attendance over the two days. Our thanks to Noel O’Brien, Kieran Neville, James Hayes, Eoin O’Riordan, Erin Dillon, Amy Leahy and Sara Mai Clancy in helping to run an enjoyable and successful event.

Next on your busy juvenile fixture list

Tonight (Thursday), April 25 at Kilworth – Rebel Óg North Round Three Division One U14 Hurling League v Kilara Óg at 7pm. Friday, April 26 at Ballynoe - Round Two Group One U13 Hurling League v Midleton at 6pm. Friday, April 26 Round Four Division Two – Rebel Óg East Minor Hurling League v Whitechurch (away) at 7.15pm (rescheduled).


Taking in the Easter bank holiday so this week’s lotto draw with a jackpot standing at €4,200 was held over until Tuesday night last, April 23 at The Big Tree, Aghern.


T & A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are St Catherines GAA Club sponsors. Mulcahy Steel are juvenile club sponsors.