Russell Rovers GAA

25 March, 2019

Russell Rovers GAA Club

Lisgoold 2-8 Russell Rovers 2-6

Our U21 footballers at last got to play in this round robin championship when they faced Lisgoold in Ballinacurra last Saturday evening. Having had their game against Glanmire postponed on two occasions before eventually being given a walk-over on the Bank Holiday Monday, this game became a knock-out tie as Lisgoold had already defeated Glanmire. So Rovers were at a big disadvantage with no game or even a get-together under their belts which was clearly evident in the opening half in which we managed to score just two points from frees, both of which were won and converted by Ross Walsh.

We had to line out without two of our main players, Josh Beausang who is recovering from a broken thumb and Luke Duggan-Murray who underwent a nose operation recently. Both were sorely missed in that first half and would have steadied the ship until we had found our feet but full credit to the lads who lined out in their place.

We trailed 2-6 to 0-2 at the break and when Lisgoold extended their lead to 11 points two minutes into the second half this game looked to be well and truly over. With Kiaran Aherne having to leave for work at half-time, the selectors put Luke Murray into goal which released Dan Ruddy to an outfield role and what a transformation this move had on the team! Ruddy’s impact was immediate, showing he had no intention of leaving the venue without putting up a decent fight as the entire team began to play with fire in their bellies and some semblance of cohesion.

Rovers began to eat into Lisgoold’s lead with points from Ross, Cillian O’Brien and a brace from Ruddy. Indeed, a couple of these points could just as easily have been goals as they were kicked from close in. Then, Sam Walsh pounced for a great goal in the 55th minute followed by another well-taken goal by Shane O’Neill in the 58th minute and suddenly the game was in the melting pot with the margin down to a single point. Over the next 4 minutes we laid siege to the Lisgoold goal in search of an equaliser (or a winner) but instead it was Lisgoold who broke up-field to wrap up the game with an insurance point in the 62nd minute, their first score in 30 minutes of play. In fairness to referee Paudie Kearney, he gave us enough time to reply with 5 minutes of stoppage time allowed but we were unable to avail of it.

And so we bow out of this competition at the first hurdle but every single member of the team can be immensely proud of themselves for the effort put in. Also, well done to current Junior players Daniel and Kevin Moynihan for putting this team together and looking after them on the day.

Team: Dan Ruddy; Conor O’Brien, Eoghan Cronin, Cathal Lane; Sean Devanney, Luke O’Riordan, Cormac Aherne; Alan Linehan, Eoghan O’Sullivan; Cillian O’Brien Kiaran Aherne, Shane O’Neill; Sean Gilsenan, Ross Walsh, Sam Walsh.

Sub: Luke Murray for Kiaran Aherne.


JHL Div 1: Russell Rovers v Sarsfields in Riverstown on Friday 29th March at 8pm.


The Club wishes to extend sincere sympathy to the family of the late John Murray, Ballycotton, father of former Russell Rovers players Mossy, Pa, Noel and Ger and Grandfather of current player Luke. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.