St Catherines GAA

10 January, 2019

St Catherines GAA

A look back at 
successful intermediate hurling league campaign

Last time around we promised a review of the intermediate hurling league campaign. So here goes, starting off with a home victory over Ballinhassig under lights at Ballynoe on Saturday night, February 24. Crucial and only goal of the hour finished off by a youthful Ben O’Brien on twenty nine minutes. That established an advantage on a half-time scoreline of 1-07 to 0-04. In all, twenty players were used, six of which figured on the scoreboard and the Saints would make a winning start on an end scoreline of 1-14 to 0-09.

One clearly remembers Dolores Hartigan declaring that the weather forecast for the following weekend was awful as “the beast from the east” would take hold. We were down to play Glen Rovers on the Sunday morning of March 4th. But we weren’t going to the northside of Cork city. So bad was the snowfall that we couldn’t get out our front door. That fixture was subsequently re-scheduled for mid-July. Again going by the wayside as the U21 hurling championship was about to begin. Eventually going past the deadline and was never played. With the league points duly awarded as they were with the Douglas game.

So the second game to bear fruition was actually a round three match. That of the visit of Argideen Rangers to Ballynoe on Friday night, March 16. Catherines weren’t firing on all cylinders on that cold Friday night and lost out on an end scoreline of 0-13 to 0-08. That was the only defeat incurred throughout the league campaign. An opportunity of redemption would present itself. Read on!

One week later would come the Ballymartle tie. One of the coldest, windiest and wettest nights for years. Truly wretched. Indeed, truth be known Riverstick wasn’t playable that night. However, a 2-10 to 2-07 win covered all the cracks. Back home for a change of clothes. That’s all you need to know!

By natural agreement the first round championship encounter with Grenagh at Killavullen on the afternoon of Sunday, April 29 doubled for league points. A goal from team captain Daniel Mangan on forty eight th minutes would prove the decisive score. Success for the Saints attained on a victory scoreline standing at 1-17 to 0-15. That more or less completed the initial segment of matches. Points tally standing at a respectable return of six points from four league matches played. As the junior football championship opened up throughout the divisions and the intercounty scene, particularly in hurling was capturing the country’s hearts. Cork initially doing well in both codes.

Competition resumed with an intense programme of four matches over a glorious two and a half week period. First two were away. Starting with a trek to the northside of the city. This time to tackle Na Piarsaigh in round seven. Note fixtures not now being played in sequence. Match dominated by the free taking skills of Ryan Lynch and Shane O’Brien with Catherines eventually collecting the points on offer. Finishing up on an end scoreline of 1-19 to 0-18.

Four nights later we were altogether too strong for Inniscarra. Match played in Ballyanly on Friday night, June 22 and winning on a score of 2-24 to 0-10. Catherines winning the next two home fixtures against St Finbarrs (5-23 to 2-10) and Ballygarvan in turn (5-14 to 1-14) and remember all four were played in sweltering heat. 

Such was the summer from the year now finishing. Just six nights following the championship exit to Mayfield at Fermoy and Catherines were back in the ring. Fulfilling the round ten fixture in Dripsey. Seven of the players registering on the scoreboard in attaining yet another comprehensive win. Finishing up at 5-17 to 0-13. Sunday, August 26 was cut off point. With a haul of twenty points from eleven fixtures sufficient in securing a place in the division four intermediate hurling league final. Subsequently learning that opposition would be provided by Argideen Rangers. It was a struggle in securing a venue. Both teams having agreed to Friday night, October 5 as the date. Trabeg, home of Nemo Rangers eventually the appointed venue. But only settled on less than twenty four hours from the throw-in time of 8pm.

It was a contest which saw two goals at opposite ends of the opening half maintain opposition momentum when trailing on a half-time scoreline of 0-12 to 2-04. Indeed just the one point was separating the teams at 0-15 to 2-08 now twelve minutes into the second half. But four points without reply and seven of the next ten scores saw the saints stretch it out. Registering a five point winning margin at the end. Finishing up on an end scoreline of 0-22 to 2-11. Afterwards Donal Leahy, then PRO of the county board, would make the presentation.

In all thirty seven players were used with James Neville, Shane O’Brien and Rory Galvin being ever present. In other words they played in every match while Brian Mulcahy, with a contribution of 7-40 and Shane O’Brien with a tally of 1-58 with a total of 1-50 coming from placed balls shared the scoring honours. This panel were honoured at the lotto draw and Christmas party held at The Plough Bar in Curraglass during the festive season.

Full panel of players

Daniel Mangan (team captain), Eoin Davis, James Neville, Eoin Wallace, Kieran Neville, Danny Lonergan, Conor Hegarty, Matthew Mulcahy, Shane Cotter, Shane O’Brien, Rory Galvin, Ronan Clancy, Brian Mulcahy, Patrick Roche, Richard Galvin, Padraig O’Connor, Philip Keane, Stephen O’Brien, William Walsh, John Casey, Niall O’Regan, Eoin Condon, Conor Kearney, Ben O’Brien, Thomas O’Donnell, Shane O’Regan, Kevin Geary, Brian Davis, Robert English, Peter Ryan, Stephen Morris, Liam O’Connor, Ed Aherne, Aaron Long, Owen O’Neill, John Mulcahy and Paul Tobin. 


Belated commiserations to Mike and Edel (Woolrich), on the sad passing of their mother Margaret Mellerick in Conna over the Christmas period.

Lotto details

First lotto draw of 2019 was held at McAuliffe’s Bar, Ballynoe on New Year’s night. Numbers drawn were 8, 9, 14 and 27. There was no winner of the €4,600 jackpot.

While the consolation winners on the night were Donagh Sheehan, Ballybride, Conna, Jerry Fitzgerald, Garrycahera, Ballynoe, Rebecca Kenny, Aglish, Co Waterford, Paddy O’Donovan, Barrafohonam, Ballynoe and Geraldine Gregan, Clarecastle, Co Clare.

This was the last draw taking in tickets from Neville’s Shop and Post Office, Ballynoe which has now ceased trading. We will miss putting posters and tickets for the draw into the newspaper bin outside the front door. Something we have done for every Monday night or Tuesday when a bank holiday is involved over the past twenty five years. It’s like a death in the family. Neville’s were avid lotto promoters and sellers and we thank Billy, Eileen, Orna, Finola and Kieran for their loyal and dedicated service.

Juvenile social

It’s closing in. Just a week to go now to St Catherines GAA and camogie clubs annual juvenile social which takes place at the Rochestown Park Hotel on Friday night, January 18. Be there for 7.15pm. Tickets priced at €25 for adults and €15 for juveniles. Check out Fiona Sheehan, Imelda O’Connell and Susan Sheehan re availability. Always a good night.


T & A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are sponsors of St Catherines GAA Club. Juvenile club sponsors are Mulcahy Steel.