Killeagh GAA Club

05 November, 2018

KILLEAGH GAA NEWS November 4th 2018

By Colman Motherway, Killeagh GAA PRO


Premier 2A Minor Hurling League Semi-Final Killeagh-Ita's 1-18, Ére Óg 1-17 after extra time

Premier 2A Minor Hurling League Final Killeagh-Ita's 2-15, Fr. O’Neill’s 2-8

Our minor hurlers finished their 2018 campaign in some style in the past week and in the process restored some pride to our playing season with our first piece of silverware in quite a while. First up, on a cold and windy Bank Holiday Monday, they overcame county champions Éire Óg in an extra time classic in Páirc Uí Chinnéide, and followed this up with a deserved victory over Fr. O’Neill’s in the final played in Castlemartyr on Saturday last, thereby reversing the 2017 result in this same final. Here’s a summary of how they managed it.

The Éire Óg team that travelled to Killeagh on Monday last came full of confidence, just two weeks after they had defeated Sam Maguires, our semi-final conquerors, by one point, to claim the county championship. A strong wind prevailed throughout this game, favouring our visitors in the opening half. By the 13th minute they led by 0-5 to 0-3, with a Darragh O’Connor point sandwiched between two Ryan McCarthy frees keeping us in touch. On the quarter hour Padraig Leahy took off on a brilliant run and when his shot was well saved, Darragh was in the right place to finish smartly to the net, then a point from Dara Motherway shortly after gave us a 1-4 to 0-5 lead. Éire Óg dominated the second quarter, however, as our intensity and discipline dipped, and they scored 1-5 (four points from frees) while we could only manage one further point, another free from Ryan. Much food for thought at half time then, as we trailed by 1-10 to 1-5. Ryan’s free-taking continued to be of the highest quality throughout the second half, with three in the first eight minutes, and a point from Dylan Hogan reduced the margin to just two – 1-11 to 1-9 – by the 40th minute. A point from Ciaran O’Rourke reduced the gap to the minimum, but the scores dried up then for a while, and our opponents added a free to double their advantage. Another pair of frees brought us level – 1-12 each – by 53 minutes, but once again we failed to turn the screw. With time almost up Éire Óg scored a lead point from a free, but two quick frees from Ryan, one from a very tight angle on the left wing, gave us the lead for the first time since the 17th minute, with time gone well into the red. However, Éire Óg got one more free, and from an equally challenging angle on the right wing, David Kirwan slotted it over to push the game into an extra 20 minutes. For the first ten we retained wind advantage, and Ryan added three further points, one from play and two from frees (bringing his total for the day to an astonishing 13 points) with just one in reply. A two point lead – 1-17 to 1-15 – would it be enough against the wind? Ciaran O’Rourke’s score against the wind stretched our lead and while Éire Óg attacked our goals, our six backs defended heroically and Jamie Fogarty was ice-cool behind them. Although we missed a couple of chances to extend our lead, we managed to hold out, finishing ahead by 1-18 to 1-17 on referee Jim Hennessy’s final whistle.

Team: Jamie Fogarty, Dan Lucey, Richie Landers, Kieran Daly, David Kelly, Dylan Hogan, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Barry Motherway, Ryan McCarthy, Ciaran O’Rourke, Dara Motherway, Adrian Galvin, Padraig Leahy, Darragh O’Connor, Paul Delaney

Scorers: Ryan McCarthy (0-13, 0-12f), Darragh O’Connor (1-1), Ciaran O’Rourke (0-2), Dara Motherway (0-1), Dylan Hogan (0-1).

Fast forward five days then, to a wet and windy Castlemartyr where we came up against our local rivals once again, Fr. O’Neill’s. Having been beaten twice in hurling and four times in football by O’Neill’s in the past two years, it was going to be a tough challenge to try to overturn this trend. Our first fifteen was unchanged, with our management showing faith in those who had started the semi-final. Once again, the wind was a factor, but this time we began with wind advantage. Ciaran O’Rourke slotted over a point on our first attack from the throw in, but O’Neill’s responded quickly with a levelling score from danger man Jason Hankard. Ryan was on target with two frees, while Paul Delaney, excellent in the opening half, scored a great point from the left corner. O’Neill’s were within one – 0-5 to 0-4 - by 16 minutes with two frees and a point from play, before Darragh O’Connor fed Barry Motherway for a fine point to extend our lead. A long-range point by Peter Hassett reduced the lead to one again, and Conor Lee’s score from the right wing then levelled the game. A shrewd switch at this point, with Cathal Fitzgibbon going to midfield and Ryan McCarthy to wing back, brought both players storming into the game, and two late points (Ryan’s fourth free and a long strike from Dara Motherway) gave us a two-point lead at Trevor Lyons’ half-time whistle. The same question as we had asked on 70 minutes on Monday applied again – would it be enough? On the turnaround we got a quick boost when Ciaran O’Rourke won a ball on the edge of the square and used both his strength and his skill to squeeze the ball into the corner of the net, just beyond the reach of cúl báire Darragh Higgins. Within two minutes, the green flag was flying at the other end, however, as Jason Hankard did much the same, firing a low shot into the bottom corner. With 26 minutes to go our task was challenging, but our team showed great character, with strong leadership and teamwork throughout the team. Cathal Fitzgibbon exchanged passes with Padraig Leahy and scored a brilliant point from the left sideline, while Olan Broderick, not fit to start, but anxious to make a contribution, made an immediate impact on his introduction with a fine point. Jamie Fogarty made a great save on 40 minutes, which kept us ahead by 1-11 to 1-6. A purple patch from Adrian Galvin, playing his best game of the year in his final minor outing, saw him score three points from three shots on the 40th, 45th and 46th minute. His third score was the most critical, as it followed O’Neill’s second goal, and pushed us ahead by three again – 1-13 to 2-7. A free from Ryan on 48 minutes – excellently struck with a low trajectory – made it four, and then it was time once again for our defenders to do their job. Daniel Lucey and Kieran Daly continued their excellent consistent form in the corners, Richie Landers and Dylan Hogan came out with ball after ball through the centre channels, while Ryan McCarthy and David Kelly swept up on both wings. Outside them Barry Motherway, also finishing his minor campaign in style, Cathal Fitzgibbon and Dara Motherway continued to work well in both attacking and defending effectively. O’Neill’s got one point back to leave it a one-score game – 1-14 to 2-8 – with time almost up. Enter Padraig Leahy, who had been well marshalled throughout the game, as he finally broke free and rattled the net on the 60th minutes. When he followed up with a point two minutes later, the deal was sealed, and we finally had our cup of joy! A fitting reward for the full panel of players, and for the hugely committed management team of Niall Crowley, Ciaran O’Brien, Bernard Rochford and Brendan Delaney. The clouds have parted and the outlook for 2019 and beyond has improved just a tad. Finally, a word of thanks to our gallant opponents Fr. O’Neills who contributed hugely to a very entertaining game in trying conditions, to our hosts Castlemartyr GAA, and to the referee Trevor Lyons and his officials.

Scorers: Ryan McCarthy (0-5f), Padraig Leahy, Ciaran O’Rourke (1-1 each), Adrian Galvin (0-3), Paul Delaney, Barry Motherway, Dara Motherway, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Olan Broderick (0-1 each).

Minor Hurling Panel of 2018: Jamie Fogarty, Dan Lucey, Richie Landers, Kieran Daly, David Kelly, Dylan Hogan, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Barry Motherway, Ryan McCarthy, Ciaran O’Rourke, Dara Motherway, Adrian Galvin, Padraig Leahy, Darragh O’Connor, Paul Delaney, Richie Long, Andrew Foley, Olin Hennessy, Olan Broderick, Brian Murphy, Tommy Noonan, Robert Sinclair, Danny Cunningham, Owen Cosgrove, Cian McDonald, Ciaran Leahy, David Collins, Christian Coughlan, George Walsh Wallace.


Friday Night Lights comes to Killeagh for the remaining four Fridays of November as our Under 16 and Under 18 footballers play in our inaugural Sevens Football Tournament. Four teams will play each other each night for the first three evenings, with an A and a B Final on the final evening. There will be some novel modifications to each game, making this an exciting spectacle for players and supporters. We begin on this Friday November 9th at 7.00 p.m., so come along to see what this is all about. Here are the teams:

REDS: Adrian Galvin, Andrew Foley, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Cian McDonald, David Collins, Tommy Noonan, Tony McCarthy, Ryan Farquhar.

GREENS: Dylan Hogan, Olin Hennessy, Paul Delaney, Danny Cunningham, Oisin McCarthy, George Walsh Wallace, Paudie Mackey, Eoin Brenner.

BLUES: Barry Motherway, Darragh O’Connor, Dara Motherway, Owen Cosgrove, Jamie Fogarty, Ciaran Leahy, Remy Bernard, Aaron Fitzgibbon.

YELLOWS: Kieran Daly, Rob Sinclair, Dan Lucey, George Sinclair, Ciaran O’Rourke, Brian Murphy, Daniel Doherty, Evan Lane.



Our SPONSOR A SECTION fundraising drive has been a great success so far, with many pledges and donations of €100 rolling in, meaning our fence is likely to be installed in the next few months. We are asking all families who use Páirc Uí Chinnéide to get behind this capital investment and make our facilities better and safer for future generations of players and users. Remember, if you can give €100, we will have your name engraved on a nameplate which will be permanently attached to your section of fence as a ‘Thank You’ and recognition of your support. We would like to thank all those who have contributed so far towards this initiative, and ask all other families / users of our facilities to please contact Padraig McGrath on 087-8575678 or any club committee member to pledge your support. Thank you!

PRIMARY SCHOOLS’ QUIZ PRESENTATION Our Primary Schools Quiz, held on Thursday October 25th, yielded a total income of €500, to be shared equally between our Juvenile Club and Killeagh Hall Fundraising Drive. On Saturday evening, at our minor post-match gathering, Paudie Kearney, on behalf of Killeagh Hall Committee, gratefully accepted the share of the proceeds for the Hall - €250 - which will be a small help to their fundraising efforts, required to install an all-new heating system in the hall. It’s a small contribution to make to ensure that we have the best facility possible for all in our community.

Now on another matter, if you think you could do well at quizzes, come along to Hickey’s Bar (Long’s) in Mount Uniacke on Friday next November 9th at 9.00 p.m. where a Fundraising Table Quiz will be held in aid of HOPE Foundation. David Collins, our Under 16 player, is one of four Pobalscoil na Tríonóide TY students heading off to Kolkata with HOPE in March 2019, and he is organising this quiz as part of his fundraising efforts for HOPE. A great night is assured. Tables of 4 for €40, or €20 for Under 18 teams. See you there?

LOTTO UPDATE The Lotto jackpot continues to rise. Last week’s draw, held on Tuesday October 30th, was for a jackpot of €9,400 and the numbers drawn, 11, 15, 19 and 24, were not matched by any of our players. €30 winners drawn were Fergal O’Mahony, Annette O’Donovan and TJ Hegarty, while Steve and Killian Treacy won a €30 voucher for Centra. So we roll over to €9,600 for the coming week, November 6th. Wouldn’t that be nice for Christmas shopping or a holiday – a chance of this for just €2?? If you’re not in …



With less than two months to Christmas, our very active Inch Rovers Gaelic For Mothers And Others group are once again ahead of the curve in getting people active and together! Every Tuesday and Thursday for the next eight weeks, they are looking for men, women, children and pets of all ages and sizes to get Winter Walking. The venue is Tesco Car Park in Youghal at 7.30 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday. All you need is a Hi-Vis Vest, some layers of clothes (keep an eye on weather), a pair of runners, and maybe (or maybe not!) some thoughts on the burning issues of the day to be discussed as you’re walking. Come along, you will be glad you did! Further information from Helen on 087-2414279.


We stay local for the next five months with our monthly walks, although we are crossing the county bounds for the next walk. On Sunday next, Armistice Day (we will mark the centenary of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month en route), we will meet in picturesque Knockanore village and explore the byways towards Strancally Castle, overlooking Ireland’s Rhine – the Munster Blackwater - and on to Camphire Bridge over the river Bride. A more beautiful location you won’t find anywhere. As usual, text 085-7540973 if interested in coming along, and especially if you would like to join us for the first time!


This past weekend brought three All-Star Awards to players from our associated clubs: firstly Cork captain Seamie Harnedy was selected on the All-Star Hurling team on Friday evening, a well-deserved honour for his brilliant performances consistently throughout 2018. Then Saturday evening brought deserved recognition for both Hannah Looney and Chloe Sigerson as half backs on the Camogie All-Stars team. Well done to all three, you are each brilliant role-models for our younger players and living proof that there’s nothing like hard work and commitment to generate success!


Cork County Board have announced the appointment of Kilmeen-Kilbree's Kevin O’Donovan as its new Secretary / CEO, taking over from the irreplacable Frank Murphy. While this is an onerous responsibility, Kevin is well qualified and well respected throughout the county and beyond, and will no doubt bring his own innovative ideas to this job. Go n-éirí leat, a Chaoimhín!

FINALLY A date for your diary – Killeagh GAA AGM on Monday November 19th at 7.30 p.m. Pencil it in and come and have your say. This is your club! Let’s help make it better for everyone!