St Catherines GAA

02 November, 2018

St Catherines GAA
Juvenile AGM on November 7th
We are heading into the peak administrative period of the season. Very shortly there will be both divisional and county board conventions. Invariable talking points. But first the clubs hold their annual general meetings. 
St Catherines start with their juvenile AGM. Scheduled for the clubrooms in Ballynoe on Wednesday night next, November 7. It starts at 8pm. Please be advised that the parent club annual general meeting has been fixed for Friday night, November 23 at Ballynoe community hall. It’s on at 8.30pm. 
This is the most important off-field activity of the year where you have an opportunity to participate in a review of the year just past, and provide input into the future of the club. Nomination forms for the various officer positions have been submitted and must be returned to secretary Eleanor Galvin on or before Monday, November 19.
Awards Weekend
This weekend sees the naming of the annual Gaelic Athletic Association Gaelic Players Association All-Stars awards. You can see it live on RTE on Friday night, November 2. How come all championship draws, matches etc are shown on RTE 2? But when it comes to dress suits and the bit of glamour it always goes out on the main channel. Twenty-four hours later the camogie winners will be made public. Best of luck to Orla Cotter, Finola Neville and all Rebel Cork nominations over the two nights. We will be rooting for them all.
First Title Of Underage Year
Rebel Óg East U16 B1 HL Final 
St Catherines 2-12 Fr O’Neills 1-07
Too late for inclusion in last week’s column, but we knew it was coming. This Rebel Óg East U16 B1 hurling league final becoming a reality when played at 3pm on Saturday afternoon last. Providing an evenly fought contest with two well-matched teams together on three occasions through the opening exchanges including at 0-04 each to twenty minutes. 
Even the impact of a well taken Harry Draper goal shortly afterwards diminished, when James Murphy crashed in a positive response just before the break with the Saints only marginally ahead on a half-time scoreline standing at 1-05 to 1-04. Dealt a further blow as Fionn O’Connell and Mark Geary both due to injury wouldn’t reappear on the change of ends.
It was 1-06 apiece to thirty-four minutes. When James Duncan took possession of the sliotar it brought Harry Draper into play. Before parting to Kevin Barry who crashed home the vital and what proved match winning second goal on forty-one minutes. Darragh Higgins was successful with his sixth free. But the Saints were in the ascendancy when ahead at 2-07 to 1-07 right on the three quarter mark. 
With a strong breeze at their backs they would add five unanswered points from there to the finish, with the excellent Ciaran O’Brien, Cathal Dineen and Gearóid O’Brien among the scorers. Michael Mulry, treasurer of the board presented the victorious shield. Winning captain Ciarán Óg O’Brien thanking Killeagh for staging the match. Also referee Arthur Murphy from the host venue and O’Neills for being sporting opposition. St Catherines will now represent Rebel Óg East in the county rounds of the competition.
Scorers: K Barry (0-02 frees) (1-03), H Draper (1-02), C Dineen (0-03 frees), G O’Brien and C O’Brien (0-02 each).
St Catherine’s team: C Roberts, J Duncan, E O’Riordan, J O’Keeffe, D McDonnell, M Geary, J McGuckian, C O’Brien (captain), G England, G O’Brien, K Barry, J Hayes, C Dineen, H Draper and F O’Connell. Subs: W Leamy and C England for F O’Connell and M Geary (both second half). E Philpott for C Roberts (50’), C Bryan for J Duncan (52’), W McAuliffe for C Dineen (60’). Also: G Leahy, D Galvin and T Hartnett.
Referee: Arthur Murphy (Killeagh).
Rebel Óg East U14 B1 Football League SF 
St Catherines 2-03 Fr O’Neills 5-05
Exactly seven months on from the regular group game at Aghavine and Fr O’Neills again confirmed their superiority when winning this Rebel Óg East U14 B1 football league semi-final played under lights at Ballynoe on Wednesday night, October 24. Full forward Adam O’Mahony Brozio was proving a real thorn in the home defence. Scorer of at least three goals and receiving able support from Conor O’Leary further out the field. 
A lead of 2-02 to 0-02 was built up at half-time and again at 4-05 to 1-02 exactly on the three quarter mark. James Mulcahy finished off that first Catherines goal ten minutes into the second half and although the verdict was definitely heading O’Neills way, Catherines plugged away right to the finish and were rewarded with a goal right out of the top drawer. Finished off by Óisín Fitzgerald, before Kyle Wallace picked out Gearóid O’Brien, bringing the curtain down on the scoring with a smashing point right at the death. 
St Catherines football league campaign is at an end. They didn’t get off to the best of starts, losing their first two matches in turn to Fr O’Neills (5-04 to 2-04) and Cobh (2-10 to 1-04) before slowly beginning to settle down and gradually turn the screw. Winning their first fixture when overcoming Courcey Rovers in round three of the U14 B1 football league on a 1-13 to 1-05 scoreline when played in Ballinspittle on Easter Monday evening, April 2. 
They followed that up with another win. This time at home to Whitechurch (1-07 to 0-05) played at Ballynoe on Wednesday evening, April 25. Hurling took over for the summer months. Resuming the football league with a win over St Colmans in Shanagarry in mid-September, championship games against Lisgoold and Crosshaven doubled up for league points. That’s how the football season panned out. U14 manager was Brian Cotter. Fellow selectors were Shane O’Connell and Ollie Sheehan with Ian O’Connell involved as hurling coach.
Scorers v O’Neills: J Mulcahy and O Fitzgerald (1-00 each), K O’Donoghue (0-02 frees) and G O’Brien (0-01).
St Catherines team: Cathal Mulcahy, Ben O’Connor, Darragh Morrison, Adam O’Donnell, Seán O’Donoghue, Fionn O’Connell, Nathan Sheehan, Gearóid O’Brien, Oisín Fitzgerald, Cathal Sheehan, Kian O’Donoghue, Stephen Cotter, James O’Callaghan, Denis Temple and James Mulcahy. Subs: Kyle Wallace for Denis Temple (20’), Ciaran Pietropaolo and Colum Feeney for Cathal Sheehan and James O’Callaghan (both second half), Shane Cotter for Stephen Cotter (49’), Diarmuid O’Connell for James Mulcahy (50’).
Referee: Mark Murphy (Bride Rovers).
Albert Griffin Cup U14 Hurling Tournament Final 
St Catherines 6-07 
Cois Bhríde 2-03
St Catherines were the stronger outfit when winning out this U14 hurling tournament final, thus retaining the Albert Griffin Cup, when played under lights in cold conditions at Ballynoe on Monday night, October 22 last. That said, Cois Bhríde, a combination of Tallow and Shamrocks, Knockanore juvenile clubs, started off well enough and an early goal still had them narrowly ahead to fourteen minutes. 
But Catherines gradually turned it around with the opposition struggling to cope with the pace and vision of Gearóid O’Brien at centre forward. He contributed a tally of 1-03 all from play. To which Denis Temple at full forward and James O’Callaghan in the corner added further goals to lead on a half time scoreline of 3-06 to 1-01 in a tournament final refereed by Mike Walsh of the host venue. 
A youthful and under strength Cois Bhríde, who had prominent players in Jack McDonnell, Jake Henley and Jack Murphy gamely battled away when behind at 3-07 to 2-03 to thirty eight minutes. However, by and large although performing well in the possession stakes would struggle for scores with Nathan Sheehan, Kyle Wallace and Oisín Fitzgerald to half time, all on top of their game and individually difficult to get the better of. Those aforementioned forwards added three more goals in the final quarter, when midfielder Fionn O’Connell rounded off the scoring pointing from play very near the finish.
Juvenile club chairman Shane O’Connell briefly spoke about Albert being the much sought after hurley repair man in the parish, before introducing Phil O’Brien, daughter of the late Albert, who duly presented the winning cup to victorious Saints captain on the night Ben O’Connor.
Scorers: G O’Brien (2-03), D Temple and J O’Callaghan (2-00 each), K O’Donoghue (0-02 frees), K Wallace and F O’Connell (0-01 each). 
St Catherines starting fifteen: Darragh Morrison, James Mulcahy, Nathan Sheehan, Adam O’Donnell, Ben O’Connor, Kyle Wallace, Oisín Fitzgerald, Fionn O’Connell, Seán O’Donoghue, Kian O’Donoghue, Gearóid O’Brien, Stephen Cotter, Cathal Sheehan, Denis Temple and James O’Callaghan. Subs (all used): Cathal McAuliffe, Kieran Kelleher, Colum Feeney, Shane Cotter, Evan O’Driscoll, Diarmuid O’Donovan, Ciaran Pietropaolo and Diarmuid O’Connell. 
Referee: Mike Walsh (St Catherines).
First Albert Griffin Cup Final
Growing up Albert Griffin was a leading figure in our little community. He was a boot maker. But today’s residents would mostly remember him as a postman in the Ballynoe area. He was a hurley and sliotar repair man, lover of his local GAA club and passionate Cork follower. He was a vice president of St Catherines GAA club when he passed to his eternal reward on the morning of Sunday, March 13th, 2005. Late in the summer or early autumn of that year, the Griffin family put up a perpetual cup, thus ensuring his name will live on for generations. Their only insistence was it to be played for annually at U14 hurling level. First final was played in Ballynoe on the morning of Sunday, October 23 of that year. St Catherines defeated Kilworth and afterwards Phil O’Brien, who was treasurer of the juvenile club at the time, presented the Albert Griffin Cup to her own son Stephen. Another link with that first final was that Mike Walsh also took charge of that decider. We went through the archives. These were the lineouts.
St Catherines: Ed Aherne, Conor Lane, Denis Lane, Richard O’Dea, Patrick Roche, Stephen O’Brien, Paul England, Conor Hegarty, Brian Mulcahy, John Hurley, Kevin Walsh (RIP), Rory O’Connor, Stephen Mills, Seamus Wade, Colm Ahern.
Also present: Paddy Lee and William Walsh. Though not present other players to have played U14 that year would include Conor Kearney, Donal McAuliffe, Matthew Mulcahy, Daniel O’Brien and Richie McGrath.
Kilworth: Donal Horgan, Gary McCarthy, Brian Condon, Aidan Condon, Austin O’Hara, Kieran Lane, Michael O’Callaghan, Pa Aherne, Thomas Aherne, Seán Keane, Liam Whelan (captain), Patrick Roche, Noel McNamara, Will Condon and Damien Farrelly. Also: Pádraig Farrelly and David Mannix.
Parish League Finals
Last week saw the staging of the annual parish league finals. Three age groups incorporating both codes requiring six deciders involving boys and girls spread out over Friday night and Saturday morning last. We will commence the first of what will be three weekly reviews next time around.
Juvenile Fixture
Saturday, November 3 – at Ballynoe – Coiste na nÓg County U16 B1 Hurling League semi-final v Ballycastle Gaels at 2.30pm.
Lotto Draw
Being a bank holiday and this week’s lotto draw with a jackpot standing at €3,000 was held over until Tuesday night last October 30th at The Fisherman’s Rest, Conna. Full results will appear next week.
T & A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are sponsors of St Catherines GAA club. Juvenile club sponsors are Mulcahy Steel.