Lisgoold GAA Club Notes

22 August, 2017

Lisgoold GAA Club Notes

Issue 12, 22 Aug 2017

By Séamus McSweeney, PRO, Lisgoold GAA

Junior A Hurling Championship.

Lisgoold 1-14 v 2-18 St. Catherine’s

There will be a novel pairing in this year’s East Cork Final as St. Catherine’s secured their place and will face Carrig na bhFear or Russell Rovers who are all set to play next weekend. This was an impressive display by the Saints played out before a large crowd in Castlelyons last Sunday. After heavy rain in the lead up to the game, the conditions underfoot were not ideal for hurling but both teams set this aside to serve up some excellent hurling. Having raced into an early lead, St. Catherine’s kept a brave Lisgoold challenge at arm’s length and never trailed over the course of the game. From the off, St. Catherine’s were very sharp and after 2 minutes had 1-1 on the scoreboard without reply; the goal coming from Richie O’Connell who took a diagonal pass and slotted the ball beyond Ciaran Cronin from close range. It took Lisgoold 5 minutes to register their first score with a pointed free from John Cashman and after that Lisgoold scores were hard to come by as St. Catherine’s were determined to close down the space afforded to the danger men Cashman and Liam O’Shea, fresh from his exploits in Croke Park the previous Sunday. After 24 minutes, Lisgoold trailed 1-8 to 0-4 as St. Catherine’s direct ball to the full forward line was reaping rewards, while Lisgoold forwards struggled to penetrate against that resolute defending. A switch bringing John Cashman to centre-forward brought him more into the action and Lisgoold began to chip away at the deficit, with points from John and brother Kieran. The defence, especially Cian Healy and Kevin Mulcahy began to settle into the game after a difficult opening period and John Cronin worked tirelessly to get countless hooks and blocks and he began to have an impact on the game. Reward came on 30 minutes when a low strike from Jamie Woods found the net with the half-time whistle looming and the score at 1-8 v 1-6. However, there was still some time for the crucial scores of the game which came in the form of a goal and a point from Brian Mulcahy to leave the half-time score line 2-9 to 1-6. Soon after the restart the margin was increased to 8 points as St. Catherine’s added points from a free and play to make it 2-11 to 1-6. The final 20 minutes was a more even affair as Lisgoold dug deep to engineer hard won scores and St. Catherine’s retreated a little to consolidate their lead. This led to the Lisgoold back line having more time on the ball and Brendan Flynn and Cian Scannell, a half-time replacement for Peter Leahy, launched several long deliveries into the opposing 21 m line. Despite some excellent points from Maurice and John, every Lisgoold score drew an immediate response from St. Catherine’s. Liam O’Shea, now operating in the full forward line was receiving more ball and despite the rugged attention of his man-marker, he was a constant threat and displayed some great skill under intense pressure, in particular a fantastic point from the wing on 45 minutes. Jack Ryan too looked dangerous, but in the limited environs of Castlelyons, his direct runs were quickly closed down, curbing his influence on the game. He did however go near to raising a green flag with a close range effort from a narrow angle. In the closing stages as Lisgoold needed a goal to close the gap, St. Catherine’s effectively deployed a sweeper to nullify the Lisgoold attack. In this respect, St. Catherine’s was a different side to the one which narrowly defeated Lisgoold in the high scoring shootout in the earlier round. Despite this, Kieran Cashman did manage to shrug off several defenders to get a goal bound rocket away, but the St. Catherine’s goalkeeper pulled off a terrific save. In the final minutes, a few late frees were dropped into the square but with sufficient numbers back, it was always going to be hard to find a route to goal. This will be a difficult defeat for Lisgoold hurlers to take but consolation can be taken in the strides made to reach the semi-finals

and the fact that they are in the running for a County League title. In addition, most of the same lads will be involved shortly in the semi-final of the football championship.

Team: C. Cronin (0-1 free), C. Healy, C. Cashman, K. Mulcahy, B. Flynn (0-1), J. Cronin, B. Clifford, Caoimhan O’Shea, P. Leahy, J. Cashman (0-8, 0-5 frees). L. O’Shea (0-2). M. O’Connell, (0-1), J. Ryan, K. Cashman (0-01), J. Woods (1-0). Subs. C. Scannell for P. Leahy (half-time).

Juvenile Round-Up

Our U16 hurlers lost out to Kiltha Og in the U16 Premier 2A hurling championship on a score line of 3-12 to 0-09. The East Region minor hurling semi-final against St. Vincents has been deferred to a later date. Well done to Lisgoold U10 hurlers who played some great hurling last Saturday in a tournament hosted in Kilkenny by Kilmacow Hurling and Football Club. The lads played Kilmacow, BallybaconGrange, Co Tipperary and Bannow/Ballymitty, Co Wexford.

Lisgoold Lotto Jackpot of €20,000 remains up for grabs!

Lotto Draw Numbers, Aug 15th: 12, 18, 30, 31. No Winner. €20: John Howick, Tom McCarthy, Bob Mockley and W. Ealsh.

Next Draw 22nd August in Woods Bar. Current Jackpots- Main Jackpot is now at €20,000. Reserve Lotto €9,000.

Social Media Check out our website Our latest news is distributed via What's App (text 0872791699 to request inclusion) Facebook and Twitter. It’s a great way to keep up with all our fixtures, results and latest news.