Killeagh GAA Club

20 August, 2017

Killeagh GAA Club Weekly News

NEWSLETTER FOR W/C August 21st 2017


Our last lotto draw took place on Tuesday August 15th where there was no winner of the €2800 jackpot. Lucky dip prizes of €30 each went to Dinny and Olivia O'Rourke, Robert Deane, Chloe Landers and Ger Smiddy. Next week's jackpot will be €3000! It will take place in our clubhouse on Tuesday night August 22nd. You can now purchase your lotto ticket on-line; just follow the lotto link on the homepage of our website – Thanks to everyone who supports our weekly lotto draw [RN]

Fixtures/Results Senior and Junior Hurling/Football Fixtures: Cork SHC R3 Killeagh v Carbery on Sun Aug 27th with time and venue tbc, Cork U21 HC Killeagh/Ita's v Erins Own on Aug 22nd @ 19.00 in Lisgoold, JAFC Glenbower Rovers v Lisgoold, date, time and venue tbc, U21 Killeagh/Ita's v Cobh, date, time and venue tbc, Cork JBHL Killeagh v Ballinora in Killeagh with date and time tbc, Red FM League Killeagh v Carrigtwohill in Killeagh with time and date tbc, JHL div 3 Killeagh v Aghada in Killeagh on Weds Aug 23rd @7.15pm, JBHC Killeagh v Carrignavar on Sat Aug 26th with time and venue tbc, Results: Cork SHC R2 Killeagh 2-16 Douglas 0-20 in Cobh on Saturday Aug 19th. Your support is greatly appreciated by everyone connected with all of our teams, so please try to come to the games to support the lads.

Killeagh GAA Senior Hurling:

What a night to be following the Green and White of Killeagh! A memorable night for all young & old as without doubt one of the greatest shocks of Cork Club Hurling of all time was pulled off in Cobh on Saturday as Killeagh defeated red hot favourites Douglas on a lovely surface for Hurling. The grounds team in Cobh should be commended for the perfect field they produced. Douglas got away to the better start. 5 minutes on the clock they led 0-3 to 0-1. Next play the deadlock was broken. John O'Connor came with a crunching tackle on a Douglas defender, scooped the ball to Gary Leahy, a slick handpass to Andy Walsh who drew the last line of defence before Eoghan Keniry buried the ball in the back of the net. From that moment, we grew into the game. The game was tit for tat for next 20 minutes until another crucial goal scored by the Men in Green. From the puckout from Keeper Colin Walsh, Kieran got a flick onto the ball and fell into Daniel Walsh hands of which he buried into the bottom right hand corner. Great first 30 minutes by Killeagh playing with wind. Referee Nathan Wall blew the Half Time whistle which saw the scoreline 2-7 to 0-13. The team were driven to kick on in the second half. Points shared by both sides. The pick of them was Kevin Murphy's 100m free. After 44mins, we lead 2-12 to 0-17. But things changed from here as we were reduced to 14 men with a straight Red Card for Daniel Walsh. We played the final 20 mins through thick and thin. Some great scores by Kieran Lane and Brendan Barry were influential with two great catches by keeper Colin Walsh before the 36th minute of the second half saw Gary Leahy step up to the plate and score the winning point to seal the deal. 2-16 to 0-21 victory for the East Cork Side. Great performances by Sean Long, Patrick O'Brien, Mikey Fitzgerald, Eoghan Keniry & Gary Leahy. But all round it was a team victory. We move into the third round to face Carbery next Sunday. Time and Venue TBC. The players and management will appreciate the support they have received over the weekend and hope they have proved a lot of doubters wrong. For our supporters, keep the faith. Big games over the next few weeks will decide our faith for the year.

Championship Draws for 2017:

Full details of all County Championship and Red FM hurling league draws for 2017 are available on the Cork GAA website and full details of all divisional draws for football and hurling are available on

Cork SHC: Saturday August 27th, SHC R3, Killeagh v Carbery, time and venue tbc (ET)


Carrigaline Court Championship draws for Fe 16 and Fe14

Minor Hurling Championship: Our minors played Ballinhassig last Tuesday in Carrigtwohill but unfortunately came out on the wrong side of a high scoring game, going down by just 2 points on a final scoreline of 2-18 to 1-19.

Fe 16 Hurling Championship: Our Fe16’s played Blackrock in the semi-final of this year's U16 championship clash and it took place on Saturday, August 19th in Togher and we came out victorious in a thriller on a final scoreline of 2-13 to 1-14.

Fe 14 Hurling Championship: Our Fe14’s will play Cobh in their first-round tie and came away with a sweet victory on a final scoreline of 4-11 to 1-08.

Rebel Óg Premier 2 Fé 16 Hurling Championship Semi-Final

Killeagh-Ita’s 2-13, Blackrock 1-14

As a prelude to the dramatic senior championship victory six hours later, this Fé 16 semi-final on Saturday 19th in Togher shared many of the elements of the senior victory – a close battle which we thankfully came out on the right side at the final whistle. The ‘game of two halves’ – Blackrock scored 1-12 in the first half and also struck eight wides while they only added two white flags after the break – was an indication of both the strength of the wind and also our transformation from ‘below standard’ to ‘committed and determined’ after the ‘sos’. Blackrock were full value for their 1-12 to 0-7 half-time lead, with our scores coming from a Ben O’Connor free (5 minutes), two Olan Broderick points (11, 21), a free from Ryan McCarthy (14) and a point from Dara Motherway on 16 minutes. The highlights of the first half for our mis-firing team were two exceptional points from Ben – a sideline cut over the bar from 20 metres out on the right wing on 12 minutes, and a point from play from almost the same point on the opposite side of the field while being double-marked on 27 minutes. With our defence under pressure and Blackrock’s middle third winning all the breaking ball, the eight point half-time lead did not flatter our illustrious opponents. In fact, they extended this to nine on the restart, and signs were ominous. A gradual recovery began with two long-range Ryan McCarthy frees while Olan Broderick, Richie Landers and David Kelly began to exert more influence in the middle third. Olan’s third point and another free from Ben reduced the deficit to five – 1-13 to 0-11 on 40 minutes, but then the wheels came off as we failed to score for nine minutes and Blackrock added their fourteenth (and final) point on 46 minutes. The turning points of the game came shortly after. Firstly, Ciaran O’Rourke, who had earlier made two great saves on 24 minutes and 43 minutes, stopped a second penalty in four championship games on 50 minutes, when a goal or perhaps even a point scored would have surely scuppered any remaining hopes for a Killeagh-Ita’s comeback. Within minutes Oisin McCarthy made two telling interventions, initially scoring a long-range point before catching the ensuing puck-out and passing in to Ben O’Connor who drilled his shot into the Blackrock net. Now it was game on – 1-14 to 1-13. Two minutes later Cian McDonald was upended in the Blackrock square and Ben’s penalty was as good as anything TJ Reid might do, giving the Blackrock ‘keeper no chance and giving us an unlikely two-point lead. From here to the finish both teams had opportunities to add to their tallies but failed, partly due to heroic defending on both sides. Ryan McCarthy’s flick of the sliotar off the Blackrock centre-forward’s hurley as he bore down on goal was particularly crucial in these closing minutes. The final whistle brought relief and surprise for our team, mentors and supporters, and, in equal measure, devastation for a gallant Blackrock side. Ballincollig or Shandrum await in the final. A sixty-minute performance will be required!

Team: Ciaran O’Rourke, Danny Cunningham, Daniel Lucey, Paul Delaney, David Kelly, Ryan McCarthy (0-3), Robert Sinclair, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Richie Landers, Dara Motherway (0-1), Oisin McCarthy (0-1), Christian Coughlan, Darragh O’Connor, Ben O’Connor (2-4), Olan Broderick (0-4). Subs: Cian McDonald, David Collins, Tommy Noonan, Ciaran Leahy, Owen Cosgrove, Brian Murphy.

Rebel Óg Premier 2A Fé 14 Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Killeagh-Ita’s 4-11, Cobh 1-8

Ciaran O’Rourke and Colin Walsh weren’t the only goalkeepers to shine this past week for Killeagh. Ben Budds produced an Anthony Nash-type save midway through the first half of this game in Killeagh on Wednesday evening last that ultimately proved to be the game changer. Up to this point, matters were very even, with the only differences being that Eoin Brenner had raised a green flag for Killeagh while Cobh had failed to convert many of their opportunities in front of goal. This gave us a half-time lead of 1-5 to 0-6, with everything to be played for in the second half. However, Cobh’s resistance faded gradually after half-time, with points from Paudie Mackey and Callum Martin White being quickly followed by a goal from Colm Landers who was in the right place at the right time. The scores did dry up for a period after this as Cobh battled away without making inroads on the scoreboard. Rory Lynch at full-back and David Buckley and Jamie Fogarty in the half-back line were most instrumental in suppressing any attacks that did come forward. Evan Lane, as he had done in the first half, continued to slot over frees, seven in total, while George Walsh scored a fine individual goal after a great run through the left wing. Paudie Mackey’s goal in the final minute was our final score, before Cobh finally raised a green flag of their own, just before the final whistle. Next up we play Mallow on Wednesday 23rd, venue to be decided.

Team: Ben Budds, Jack Flanagan, Rory Lynch, Cormac Fitzpatrick, David Buckley, Jamie Fogarty, George Walsh, Aaron Fitzgibbon, Colm Treacy, David Buttimer, Paudie Mackey, Evan Lane, Callum Martin White, Eoin Brenner, Colm Landers. Subs: Rory Motherway, Ben Fogarty, Ciaran Brennan, Evan Lane, Conor Meade, Danny Fitzgerald, Daniel Walsh, Tommy Morrison.

Rebel Óg Premier 2A Fé 18 Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Ballinhassig, 2-18, Killeagh-Ita’s 1-19

A goalkeeper had a defining say in this thrilling minor championship game on Tuesday last also, except this time it was the opposition ‘keeper, Cork minor star Ger Collins, who ultimately won this game at both ends of the pitch for his team, and knock our brave team out after an exceptional fight-back in the second half. Having overturned a five point half time deficit to lead by two with time almost up, two dramatic changes turned this game once more in Ballinhassig’s favour. Our centre back Dan Hickey, who had led the revival brilliantly, was forced off injured in the final few minutes, and Ger Collins was re-located from his own goals, where he had made two exceptional saves, to the edge of the opposite square, where he won three balls in the final four minutes and struck each of them straight between the posts to win the game, almost single-handedly. This was hard to stomach, as our team had recovered from a poor first half where our wide count was too high and a late goal before the break gave Ballinhassig a 1-10 to 0-8 lead. Sean Walsh had done the bulk of our scoring in this half, with three frees and two from play, while Shane Kearney had added two points and Padraig Leahy got the final score of the half. The second half saw a much improved performance, with Adrian Galvin at wing back, Keane Budds, Richie Long and Olan Broderick all very involved, and Padraig Leahy striking excellent points from full-forward. However, our hard work in reducing the deficit was undone by an aerial strike on 37 minutes which flew past Ciaran O’Rourke and wiped out our hard-earned points. The score at this point was 2-11 to 0-12. Over the next fifteen minutes, we scored five further points as the wind and workrate worked in our favour. OIsin McCarthy’s monster point from his own ’45 levelled the match on 54 minutes, and although Ballinhassig got back in front, Ben O’Connor’s goal, when he wrong-footed Ger Collins and struck low into the left corner, gave us that dramatic two point lead. However, four unanswered ‘Hassig points, three from Colins, turned the game and knocked our team out of championship in the most dramatic manner.

Team: Ciaran O’Rourke, Dylan Hogan, Richie Landers, Jamie Landers, Adrian Galvin, Dan Hickey, Ryan McCarthy, Olan Broderick (0-1), Keane Kelly Budds, Dara Motherway, Sean Walsh (0-7), Shane Kearney (0-2), Padraig Leahy (0-4), Richie Long (0-2), Fionn McDonnell (0-1). Subs used: Oisin McCarthy (0-1), Jamie Clifford, Ben O’Connor (1-1), David Kelly.

Golf Society:

Society Outing:

Our next outing will be to Tramore Golf Club on Saturday September 9th with first tee time at 10.30am. Please contact Ray on 0872330054 for all information and bookings.

Healthy Clubs Project

Killeagh GAA - Killeagh Camogie - Inch Rovers Ladies Football - Killeagh-Ita's Juvenile GAA


Killeagh Healthy Clubs Project held their 18th monthly walk on ‘Reek Sunday’, July 30th. Next up – Carrauntoohill. We aim to climb Carrauntoohill on Sunday August 27th, weather permitting. This is a 6-7-hour walk / climb so a good degree of fitness is required. This is a guided walk, cost per person will be €10- €15 for the guide. Only 25 places available. Over 12s only. Text Colman if you intend coming. 085-7540973

Upcoming Events

1. Couch To 5K every Monday evening in Páirc Uí Chinnéide 7.30 p.m. For all ages and abilities – walk, jog or run around the pitch.

2. Hatha Yoga with Sinéad ní Chionaola in the Hall in Páirc Uí Chinnéide at 6.00 p.m. on Tuesday evenings. Open to all over 12. Bring your own mat. Voluntary contribution €5 per class if you can afford it.

Blood Donor Clinic: On behalf of The Irish Blood Transfusion Service, please pass on our thanks to all who contributed to the running of this Clinic. A total of 178 donors attended our Blood Donor Clinic held recently in Youghal. This generosity and commitment to helping others is very much appreciated. Donating Blood is a precious gift that brings life and hope to patients, their families and friends.