St Catherines GAA

04 August, 2017

St Catherines GAA

Lotto jackpot now at €7,000

St Catherines GAA Club head for the bank holiday with a lotto jackpot now standing at €7,000. Results from the most recent draw held at The Big Tree, Aghern, on Monday night last, July 31st where the numbers drawn were 3, 14 and 26. There being no winner of the then accumulated jackpot of €6,800 while the consolation winners on the night were: Kate Hegarty, Ballymonteen, Ballynoe; Chloe Higgins, Ballycullane, Curraglass; Marie McCarthy, Coole, Castlelyons; Matt Noonan, Conna and Stephen Cotter, Barbafohona, Ballynoe. Being a long weekend next draw goes ahead at The Fisherman’s Rest, Conna, on Tuesday night, August 8th.

East Cork Oill sponsored junior A hurling championship quarterp-final St Catherines 2-27 Cobh 2-06

It took twenty plus minutes of extra-time to get over the commendable challenge of Lisgoold in the previous round. No such heroics required here. Catherine’s romping to a near facile twenty one point victory over a disappointing Cobh challenge when this divisional junior A hurling championship quarter-final was played at and again well attended albeit overcast Dungourney venue on Saturday evening last. Catherines again off to a flyer and Richard Galvin, like he did the last night crashing the lead goal to the net as early as the fifth minute. With Ed Ahern, dominant between the posts, Cal Aherne to the fore at centre back and William Walsh regularly on the ball at wing back. Rory Galvin, Daniel Mangan and Shane Kearney were rampant up front. Surging to an emphatic lead of 1-13 to 0-01 to the end of the first quarter. Cobh struggled to cope. Although a Conor Farrell goal offered brief respite on forty six minutes. But whatever chance Cobh had of potentially rescuing a now desperate situation petered out in a two minute spell coming up to the break. Losing both their goalkeeper and full forward in separate incidents to straight red cards. Catherines in cruise control and ahead on a half time scoreline of 1-17 to 1-04. There would be no let up. Adding on six of the games opening eight points on the resumption. When a surging, defence splitting run saw Shane Kearney parting to the on running Richard O’Connell, who duly slotted home the second goal and a Saints lead now standing at 2-23 to 1-06 to forty six minutes. Ever accurate from placed balls Shane O’Brien helped turn the screw still further. Pointing the next three scores including two from frees. With Adam McCarthy adding a consolation opposition goal very near the end. They won’t all be as one sided as this.

Cobh scorers: A McCarthy (1-02), C Farrell (1-01), E Spriggs, J Ronan and C McLoughlin (0-01 each). St Catherines scorers: S O’Brien (0-7 frees) (0-02 65’s) (0-10), RD Galvin (1-03), R O’Connell (1-02), R Galvin (0-4), D Mangan and S Kearney (0-03 each) and S Cotter (0-2). St Catherines team: E Aherne, P Keane, L O’Connor, E Kenneally, C Hegarty, C Aherne, W Walsh, S O’Brien, C Kearney, S Cotter, D Mangan (captain), R Galvin, R O’Connell, RD Galvin, S Kearney. Subs: P Roche for D Mangan (46’), L Kearney for S Kearney (49’). Also: C Leahy, R Clancy, S Morris, K Neville, S O’Regan, D Lane, E Wallace, N O’Regan, S O’Brien, J Mulcahy, S Walsh, J Casey and J Hurley. Referee: Cathal McAllister (Aghada).

Under twenty one hurling

Well the gremlins momentarily surfaced last week as third substitute for the Saints against Carrigtwohill in the under twenty one A hurling championship quarter-final should have read Kieran English for Luke Beecher on fifty four minutes. While Castlelyons proved too strong for Youghal in another quarter final of the East Cork under twenty one A hurling championship, when played in Ballynoe on Sunday evening last. Final score in favour of Castlelyons being 5-15 to 2-16. Referee was James Bermingham from the Bride Rovers Club.


Rebel Óg East under sixteen B2 hurling league round six St Catherines w/o Crosshaven scr Coiste na nÓg county under fifteen B2 football championship - quarter-final

St Catherines 3-09 Ballingeary 6-12

Look.. Hands up. No qualms. No complaints. St Catherine’s played well. They will be happy. But Ballingeary were that little bit cuter. More natural players in vital positions and were deserving winners of this Coiste na nÓg county under fifteen B2 football championship quarter-final when played in Ballynoe on Sunday morning last. Catherines started well. Took the lead through a Gavin England goal in their very first acttack. Midfielder Sean Lucey, best player on the pitch and pacy nippy corner forward Michael Long were causing major problems for the Saints. Just six points adrift at 2-08 to 1-05 to the sound of the half-time whistle. Indeed when team captain Kevin Barry goaled a penalty kick for a foul on James Hayes the deficit was trimmed to two points, on a scoreline of 2-08 to 2-06 now seven minutes into the second half. Ballingeary were quick to respond. Diarmuid Ó Ceallachain goaled a beauty. Confirmed their dominance with further late goals from Gerry Lynch and Brian Dineen. With midfielder Lucey finishing with a tally of 3-06. Ballingeary advancing to the next round scheduled for August 8th on a scoreline of 6-12 to 3-09.

Catherines scorers: K Barry (1-00 penalty) (0-02 frees) (1-04), G O’Brien (1-0), G England (1-00), H Draper (0-03) and J Hayes (0-01). Team: Callum Roberts, Mark Geary. Kian Wallace, James Duncan, David McDonnell, Darragh Galvin, Gavin England, Josh McGuckian, Tom Hartnett, Kevin Barry (captain), James Hayes, Harry Draper, Conor England. Subs: Cathal Dineen for David McDonnell (16’), Wiliam Leamy for Conor England (second half), Gearoid O’Brien for Tom Hartnett (47’), James O’Callaghan for Darragh Galvin (53’), William McAuliffe for Harry Draper (54), Ger Leahy for James Duncan (57’). Also Adam O’Donnell, Fionn O’Connell and Evan Phillpott. Referee: Brian Walsh (Aghada).


Although they were the better team Limerick still found it difficult to withstand an eventual dogged Rebel challenge when winning the Munster under twenty one hurling championship final when played on Wednesday evening, July 26th last. As they did in the previous encounters Limerick made a ferocious start. Surging into a seven point lead without reply after thirteen minutes. Gradually though the Rebels came more into it and a Tim O’Mahony goal on twenty five minutes trimmed the interval deficit to four points on a scoreline of 0-11 to 1-11. Having shown commendable battling qualities to the end and thats all you can expect. At least twenty of the Cork panel are available again for next year although there was this provincial final on the calendar, it also would be shown on live tv, still the first round of the camogie senior championship went ahead. St Catherine’s defeating Glen Rovers (1-16-0-4) at Rathcormac. While the junior hurling second team were beaten in a challenge game in Ballysaggart. Ensuring that Wenesday, July 26th last made for a busy evening. But what a summer it’s been following the Rebels and last Thursday evening in Thurles was up with anything that went before. Cork were slightly fortunate to lead their All Ireland under seventeen hurling championship semi-final by a point at half time. Parity had been restored midway through the second half when Declan Hanlon forced his way through for a second Cork goal on forty eight minutes. But referee Alfie Devine blew up for a penalty. Daire Connery’s effort brilliantly kept out by Galway custodian Darragh Fahy. Albeit Connery pointed the ensuing 65. Cork drove on with a brace of well taken Brian Roche points. But were wheeled in by a marvelous Noall Coen goal for the westerners on fitfy five minutes. Cork now favoured by the conditions advancing with two points from late frees from man of the match Colin O’Brien. We now once again wish the best of luck to Eoin Davis and the Cork team when facing Dublin in the All-Ireland under seventeen hurling championship final set for Croke Park on this coming Sunday, August 6th.


Our deepest sympathy to all Spillane’s on their recent sad family bereavement.


T&A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are sponsors of St Catherine’s GAA club.


Thursday August 3rd at Dungourney junior B hurling championship first round v Erins Own, at 7.30pm. Tuesday, August 8th at Ballynoe Rebel Óg North minor B2 football league v Castlelyons, at 8.30pm.