Russell Rovers GAA

28 June, 2017

Russell Rovers GAA Club

Russell Rovers 1-19 Bride Rovers 2-10

It was with a certain amount of trepidation that we travelled to Dungourney last Sunday evening to face a tough physical Bride Rovers side in the 1st Round of the JAHC as one never knows what a second team of a senior club will be like. The game started at a frantic pace under the whistle of Niall Barrett and after 3 minutes we were to score our first point from a free by Josh Beausang but at a costly price as our dynamic forward Bud Hartnett received a blow that was to finish his game. This would knock any team off course but there’s no shortage of resilience in this bunch of players and we had an able replacement in Kevin Tattan who was probably a little unlucky not to have started and who was to have a big influence later on.

The sides traded points in the 8th and 9th minutes with Josh converting a free won by Kieran Walsh. In the 14th minute we received a major setback when Bride Rovers got in for the first of their two goals but we regrouped very fast with points from Josh and JP Ivers who is still putting in some mighty performances in his 16th campaign in the black-and-amber jersey. With our defence hurling brilliantly, Eoghan O’Sullivan, making his debut at this level, scored a fantastic point from out on the right wing after receiving a pass from JP. This was followed by a fine point from Eoin McGrath to leave us one ahead after 24 minutes but Bride Rovers levelled matters a minute later when they pointed a 65. In the 26th minute a brilliant piece of hurling between JP and Kieran Walsh ended with Josh rattling the back of the net from close range. Our goal advantage was short-lived, however, as Bride Rovers converted a penalty from a very harsh call on fullback Paul Lane. To all on the sideline from both sides we still can’t figure out what he was supposed to have done but the call seemed to have the effect of making us hurl better with two further points from Josh, one from a tackle made on Kevin Tattan. Going in at half-time we were somewhat unlucky to be only on level terms on a score-line of 1-9 to 2-6.

On the resumption of play our lads took the game by the scruff of the neck with Kevin Moynihan scoring a glorious long-range point in the very first minute. To watch this guy field a high ball is a spectacle to behold. The next four minutes belonged to Kevin Tattan. With Russell Rovers on top between the half-back line and half-forward line, fast diagonal ball was fed into Kevin who showed amazing control, skill and pace to fire over three unanswered points. I don’t think you would find a back in the country at any level who could stop him when he is in this kind of form. With Kieran Walsh getting more on the ball, he was very unlucky when, after a great solo run, he was denied by the post. Ross Walsh in goal was keeping his house in order and showed great accuracy with his puck-outs, finding Eoghan O’Sullivan out on the left numerous times. But the Rathcormac men weren’t quite ready to throw in the towel just yet as they fought back with three points on the bounce to reduce the margin to the bare minimum. Our superior fitness level in the last ten minutes proved decisive as substitute Luke Murray, Kieran Walsh and Josh (0-4) shot over some fabulous points to leave us in a comfortable position at the final whistle which was greeted with great relief and joy all round.

Other players not mentioned yet, such as Aidan Beausang, Paul Lane, Kevin O’Brien, Daniel O’Brien, James Kennefick, Dan Moynihan (Capt) and Chris Ruddy all contributed handsomely to this fine win. Well done to both the team and management.

We wish Brian Hartnett a speedy recovery from his injury.

We are now into the quarter-final which is not expected to be played until the last week-end of July.

Team: Ross Walsh; Aidan Beausang, Paul Lane, Kevin O’Brien; Daniel O’Brien, James Kennefick, Kevin Moynihan; Daniel Moynihan, Kieran Walsh; Chris Ruddy, John Paul Ivers, Eoghan O’Sullivan; Eoin McGrath, Josh Beausang, Brian Hartnett.

Subs: Joe O’Flynn, Barry Fitzgerald, Ian Smiddy, Alan Cott, Kevin Tattan, Kevin Ivers, Luke Murray, David Whelehan, Seamus Kearney, Luke O’Riordan, James Moynihan, Ciaran Aherne, Cormac Aherne, Sean Gilsenan, Dan Ruddy, Brian Whelehan.

For the record, the last time we met Bride Rovers in the JAHC was on 6th July 2009 in Cobh when we won on a score-line of 1-18 to 1-10 following a mid-season change of management after a bad defeat to St Itas in the 1st Round.

Only three players that started in 2009 also started last Sunday evening – JP Ivers, Dan Moynihan and Brian Hartnett. Five others – Kevin Tattan, Kevin O’Brien, Ian Smiddy, Seamus Kearney and Barry Fitzgerald were part of both teams, as were 2017 manager/selectors Joe Walsh and Anthony Archer.

2009 Team: Eoin Ivers; Anthony Archer, Padraig Higgins, Barry Fitzgerald; Matty Fitzgerald (Capt), Kevin Hartnett, Derek Crowley; Seamus Kearney, Dan Moynihan; Anthony Walsh, John Paul Ivers, Barry Hartnett; Ian Smiddy, Mikie Walsh, Brian Hartnett.

Subs: John Ahern, Kevin Tattan, Kevin O’Brien, Colin Crowley, Brian Crowley, Joe Walsh, Tadhg Crowley, James Ahern, Brendan Kearney, Chris Scanlon, James Walsh, Seamus Cronin, James Furlong, John Burke, Traolach Martin.

Manager/Coach: Mossy Walsh. Selectors: David O’Brien and Redmond Walsh.


JHL Div 3: versus Bride Rovers on Wednesday, 28th June at 7.45 pm in Shanagarry.

JHL Div 3: versus Dungourney on Saturday, 1st July at 6.30 pm in Shanagarry