St Catherines GAA

19 June, 2017

St Catherines GAA

Cloyne victorious in Ballynoe

There’s no doubt that continuous heavy rainfall ruined the Lá na gClub festivities scheduled for bank holiday Monday, June 5. All pre-planned juvenile activities fell victim to what essentially amounted to a washout. Right through the subsequent week the weather forecast became the focus of much greater attention than it might normally be. Met Eireann clearly informed us on the Tuesday night the heavy rainfall all expected for the Cork/Kerry area on Friday would not fall now until after dark. Great, conditions for Cloyne/Kilworth premier intermediate hurling champion round 2A clash will be perfect. Got sucked into that.

From Friday at noon the clouds were circling. Darker it was getting. We were like dead men walking. Powerless trying to stop the inevitable. Around 5pm it duly arrived. Destroyed would be too strong a word, but assuredly the prevailing conditions didn’t help the situation for player and supporter alike and seriously influenced the prospective attendance. A good evening would have had a much greater crowd. Why not sure, there was no other game on to distract. Aside from the two competing teams, Gaels from Imokilly and Avondhu areas would be starved for a match taking place right in the heartland between the two boundaries. You live with it and move on.

Kilworth started well. Liam Whelan scored an audacious point and they might well have scored two goals. Donal Óg reacted smartly to one. Proof, as if proof is needed, of the value of an efficient netminder. Keith Dennehy’s goal was crucial.

Although Kilworth lead at 0-09 to 1-04 at the break they were now a man down and Cloyne would turn around with that stiffish breeze at their backs. They firmly and truly wore down the Kilworth challenge. Especially in the last ten minutes. Although the final 2-14 to 0-12 scoreline was flattering.

Many thanks to all committee members for their help on the night. Also to Thomas O’Brien and Nelly Reilly of Cloyne and John Sheehan and Alan Kenny of Kilworth for their help and co-operation with the production of the match programme. We are keeping Liam Barry and Fermoy Print on their toes all last week. Liam always comes up trumps. Juvenile treasurer Fiona Sheehan coordinated the selling. Her help was the three Eoins! Eoin Wallace, Eoin Davis and Eoin Sheehan. Thanks lads.

The other major event last weekend was a sad one. It being the sudden death of Anne Motherway, wife of John, in Aghada. Also, a funeral that would have direct bearing on both Cloyne and Kilworth. Our sympathy to all concerned.

Junior hurling league division one round five

St Catherines 2-18 Erins Own 1-09

Unfortunately it hadn’t improved much as the saints were recording just their second success of the campaign with a victory over Erin’s Own from this R5 divisional junior hurling league tie played in occasionally wet conditions at Ballynoe on Saturday evening last.

However, with Sean Dunne registering to which Paul Ryan added a fortuitous goal it was the opposition who were ahead on a scoreline of 1-06 to 1-05 to eighteen minutes. Richard Galvin scored the first saints’ goal. Then winning the penalty duly converted by Rory Galvin on 25 minutes and establishing a half time advantage on a 2-06 to 1-07 scoreline.

Now with the wind to their backs it was the home team who assumed almost total control. Limiting Erins Own to just two second half points from a junior hurling league tie refereed by Niall O’Neill of Midleton.

U21 hurling challenge

Up to this it wouldn’t have been mentioned but from now on it’s on the radar with the possibility of championship coming up on the second weekend of July. So, an U21 hurling challenge against St Dominic’s, a combination of mostly Glanworth with a few from Shanballymore, was arranged and with James Hennessy of Dungourney on the whistle was played at 7pm in Ballynoe on Sunday evening last.

It was the visitors who were shading it through the opening exchanges and were narrowly ahead on a half time scoreline of 1-03 to 0-05. But Catherines now with a strong wind to their backs upped it a lot on the change of ends. Straight away Cathal Leahy and Shane O’Brien were involved before Owen O’Neill drilled home a peach of a goal just a minute into the second half. He duly added a brace of equally well taken points.

Philip Keane picked out Rory Galvin for another and by forty-five minutes it was 1-11 to 1-06 in favour of Catherines. But St Dominic’s and mainly through their centre-field players Padraig Hannon and Scott Sheehan worked away at the deficit, whittling it down to a single point by games end. Catherines emerging winners at 1-12 to 1-11. Well worth the effort though and a good excuse in getting the players together.

Cork teams

A major carrot dangling in front of the Cork hurlers for Sunday’s provincial semi-final with Waterford is that a win will push both senior teams into their respective Munster senior finals and both now likely to be played in Cork as well. Winners move on. If not you are guaranteed further action anyway. So the prize is huge.

For the second match in a row Cork failed to sparkle and were decidedly fortunate to overcome Tipperary in front of 4,570 spectators in the senior football semi-final at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday evening last. They did have the opening score on two minutes after a Colm O’Neill goal attempt was blocked.

They wasted another clear-cut goal scoring opportunity shortly afterwards and thereafter found it difficult to breakthrough and subsequently failed to score for the remainder of the half. Michael Quinlivan had by now departed the action with an ankle injury. Some of the finishing from both teams was awful. It picked up a bit after that and excellent forward Conor Sweeney looked to have done the job for Tipp with a late goal.

But Cork answered that with a Luke Connolly goal. Victory for Cork yet again by the slimmest of margins. First major fixture in the new Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday, July 2nd might well be the only redeeming feature now giving with what by tradition has always been an attractive pairing. Because right now the county footballers are several notches behind newly crowned league champions Kerry. It really is hard to see how they could even put it up to them. Here’s hoping - but?!

Juvenile notes

Coiste na nÓg county U13 A hurling league Rd4

St Catherines 1-02 Kinsale 7-06

Inspired by the excellence of James Murphy at corner forward Kinsale were altogether the dominant force. Ending up easy and emphatic winners of this U13 A hurling league tie when played in dull and overcast conditions at Ballynoe on Wednesday evening, June 7. Murphy contributed 4-04 of their overall tally. Including all their first half scores with 2-01 of that tally coming in the opening six minutes of play.

There were hints of a recovery emanating in the home teams play. Ben O’Connor, Kian Wallace and Sean O’Donoghue striving to make an impression. Now boosted by a slightly fortuitous goal from a Gearoid O’Brien free. To which Denis Temple picked out James O’Callaghan, now further up the field, to drive home the saints only score from open play. It was 3-01 to 1-02 at half-time. But there would be no clawing back that ever-increasing deficit.

Scorers: G O’Brien (1-01 frees) and J O’Callaghan (0-01).

Team: S Cotter, D O’Donovan, G O’Callaghan, McCarthy, B O’Connor, K Wallace, O Fitzgerald, N Sheehan, D Morrison, C Pietropaolo, G O’Brien, F O’Connell, C Sheehan, D Temple and K O’Donoghue.

Subs: J Mulcahy for P O’Donovan (second half), A O’Donnell for D Morrison (43’), D O’Connell for C Sheehan (44’), C Feeney for K O’Donoghue (45’).

Referee: James Hennessy (Kiltha Óg).

Rebel Óg East U12 B1 football league Sec2 Rd6

Fr O’Neills 4-03 St Catherines 3-11

Goals from Cathal Sheehan and Ciaran Pietropaolo in turn at opposite ends of the opening half were the scores laying the platforms for this victory from round 6 of the U12 B1 football league tie when played in Aghavine homeland of Fr O’Neills on Tuesday evening June 6th last. Now was it over confidence or taking the eye off the ball but gradually the half time lead of 2-09 to 0-01 was being eroded away. With Jack Finn and Brian O’Mahony on target O’Neills were eating into that deficit and scored 3-01 without reply in the opening ten minutes of what are 25 minutes halves.

But the visitors withstood the pressure. Grateful to a rewarding third goal from Diarmuid O’Connell to which Oisín Fitzgerald added a brace of points. Having scored two more in the first half.

Scorers: C Pietropaolo (1-02), D O’Connell (1-01), O Fitzgerald (0-04), C Sheehan (1-00), S Cotter and K O’Donoghue (0-01 free) (0-02 each).

Team: J Bryan, C McAuliffe, D Morrison, G O’Callaghan, McCarthy, D O’Donovan, N Sheehan, C Hayes, S O’Donoghue, C Pietropaolo, D O’Connell, O Fitzgerald, A Bryan, C Sheehan, K O’Donoghue, S Cotter. Also: C McCarthy and D Murphy.

Referee: Jim Daly (Youghal).

U12 A East hurling league Sec1 Rd6

Bride Rovers 0-02 St Catherines 5-06

Again it just lashed for the major part of this U12 A East hurling league tie played in Rathcormac at 11.30am on Sunday morning. With that strong wind at their backs driving on ever intensifying rainfall Catherines were settling to their task and with five different players registering on the scoreboard, were ahead at 3-04 without reply at the break.

For sure the Rovers would mount a challenge on the change of ends. But the visitors won this match with a score deserving of winning any match. An Oisín Fitzgerald delivery magnificently caught by Kian O’Donoghue. Turning before sending an unstoppable drive to the net. Shortly afterwards Ciaran Pietropaolo added the fifth goal and the victory was secured.

Scorers: K O’Donoghue (0-01 free) (2-04), D O’Connell, S Cotter and C Pietropaolo (1-00 each), C Sheehan and N Sheehan (free) (0-1 each).

Team: J Bryan, E O’Driscoll, G O’Callaghan, McCarthy, D O’Donovan, S O’Donoghue, O Fitzgerald, N Sheehan, C Pietropaolo, D O’Connell, D Morrison, C Sheehan, S Cotter and K O’Donoghue.

Also: C Feeney, T Barry, C Dunning, C McAuliffe and A Bryan (all used).

Reiteoir: Peadar Ó Rinn (Ghleann na Laoi).

U11 hurling league – Rd5

Carraig na bhFear 1-04 St Catherines 2-09

An unexpected run continues. Catherines now winning five on the bounce when this latest U11 hurling league tie went ahead at Carraig na bhFear on Saturday afternoon.

Scorers: S Cotter (1-06), J Temple (1-00) and C Pietropaolo (0-03).

Panel: C Leamy, S Cotter, D O’Connell, C Dunning, E O’Driscoll, C Pietropaolo, D O’Donovan, J Bryan, A Bryan, J Leahy, D Murphy, G O’Callaghan, McCarthy, J Temple, G Sheehan and S Ahern.


Saturday, June 17 U13 B2 football league v St Vincents (away) at 2pm.

Sunday, at Thurles Munster senior hurling championship semi-final Cork v Waterford at 4pm.

Wednesday, June 21 at Cloyne U14 B1 east hurling league Sec2 Rd4 (rearranged) v St Colman’s at 7.30pm.


We wish the very best of luck to all those currently sitting their second level examinations.


Being a bank holiday, last week’s lotto draw was held over until Tuesday, June 6 at The Winners Enclosure, Conna. Numbers drawn were 13, 14, 18 and 20 and the €5,200 jackpot wasn’t won. The consolation winners on the night were: Anne Lane, Curraheen, Conna; Matt Harper, Glasshouse, Curraglass; James Roche, Castlebrook, Conna; Maureen Cronin, Dungourney and Liam Burke, Gleangoura.


T&A Building and Civil Engineering Contractors, Ballynoe are sponsors of St Catherines GAA Club.