St Catherines GAA Club Notes

23 July, 2016

St Catherines GAA

Dave Hoare RIP

For St Catherines a week overshadowed with the sad death of Dave Hoare. After an illness borne bravely. Coming as it did just seventeen months after his brother Dan, then president of the Cork GAA County Board, passed away in early February of last year. He was predeceased by his wife, Eilo and our sympathy goes to the Hoare and O’Connor families.

Dave was a larger than life figure, simply because he took an interest and was involved in so many organisations parochially. He had a great interest in the plays and took part in many over the years. He would go on the circuit with Conna Amateur Dramatic Society and did so right up to recent times. He was an avid poker player and regularly attended 45 sessions. Most notably in Glenville, Rathcormac and Ballynoe. In a parish steeped in horse racing tradition and over the years was on the Ballynoe Point-to-Point committee. It had to be National Hunt for Dave and eagerly looked forward to and regularly attended the Galway mid-summer races. Ironically the scene - “Galway next week, Dave”, “Fancy anything” Dave wouldn’t have that long of a reply. “Back weld” was his quick retort. The week long harvest festival in Listowel in mid September another favourite haunt.

But even all these events would have to take a back seat to his love for and involvement in his beloved St Catherines GAA Club. Serving as secretary from 1965 to 1971 and again from 1972 to 1985. Assuming the role of chairman in November of 1996. Serving a six year term through to the autumn of 2002. He was an able administrator and wonderful fundraiser. Most notably for the club’s weekly lotto draw and the night at the dogs. He was the chief negotiator in the laying of the newly installed tarmacadam surface only installed just inside the main gate in May of this year. The last time we saw Dave in the pitch was for Lá na gClub on the June bank holiday Monday.

He served for ten years as development/cultural officer of the East Cork Board and for the past twenty years or so was an active member of the Scor committee both at divisional and county level. Dave passed away on Wednesday morning, July 13th. Buried in Conna Cemetery last Friday, very close to his eightieth birthday. These are just a few highlights when it settles down we will look at his life in greater detail. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

Lotto results

Results from the most recent lotto draw held at The Fisherman’s Rest, Conna, on Monday night last, July 18th. Numbers drawn were 1, 7, 27 and 29. There was no winner of the €11,800 jackpot. Consolation winners were Joe Morrison, Conna; B Byrne, Aghern; Oisin, Satires ages Aine O’Farrell, Lacken, David Lonergan and Ian Hegarty, Ballymonteen, Ballynoe. Next draw for an accumulated €12,000 jackpot will be at The Winner’s Enclosure, Conna on Monday night, July 25th.

Matches played

County junior hurling league, section one, round four

Banteer 3-20 St Catherines 1-26

What a contest, a truly absorbing tussle between two clearly well matched teams. Score after score a total of fifty in all. An average of one almost every seventy seconds. Imagine scoring 1-26 in just over sixty four minutes of play and still not winning. In contrast there is the concession of 3-20 and still ending up with a share of the spoils. If you were in Banteer on Sunday morning last for this round four county junior hurling league tie chances are you’ll remember it for awhile. If not you can only imagine what it was like. it was a contest which saw the teams level on twelve occasions. Unquestionably as the cliche goes a draw was a fair result. It now brings the Saints tally to six points from four matches in this particular competition.

Threatening full forward Denis Roche goalded for the home based team after twelve minutes. But three minutes later Brian Davis brought the best out of net minder Kevin Roche, brother of the goalscorer, only for Brian Mulcahy to expertly first time the breaking ball to the net. Ushering the saints into the lead for the first time at 1-07 to 1-05 right at the end of the first quarter. Two goals in as many minutes had Banteer ahead again. Only for the expert free taking of Shane O’Brien to trim the margin right down to the minimum one point. Score standing at 3-09 to 1-14 at half-time.

Brian Mulcahy levelled it up again within seconds of the restart. Indeed we were stretched to the limit to accurately follow what was going on. Such was the freakish nature of the scoring. Catherines ahead for the first time in the second half. Score at 1-22 to 3-15 following an excellent Daniel Mangan point on fifty minutes. Each team had their chances coming up to the end of a hectic finish. But couldn’t be separated when it counted. few could complain at the sound of the full-time whistle.

Scorers: S O’Brien (0-05 frees) (0-03 65’s), (0-11), B Mulcahy (1-07), D Mangan (0-06), C Kearney and B Davis (0-01 each).

Team: E Aherne, W Walsh, S Fitzgerald, K Neville, J Neville, P Roche, S Kearney, M Mulcahy, E Condon, R Galvin, B Mulcahy, D Mangan, B Davis, S O’Brien, C Kearney. Subs: T O’Donnell for W Walsh (36’), J Casey for R Galvin (44’). Also on panel: J Mulcahy, P O’Connor and R Clancy.

Referee: Ciarán O’Regan (Ballyhea).

Rebel Óg East report

Rebel Óg East Minor A hurling championship –

St Catherine’s 1-13
Courcey Rovers 0-10

League games in both codes aside and the Saints record against this particular team in matches of consequence particularly in the last year or two hasn’t been great but this result should go some way to rectifying the situation. Recording a well earned and deserved six point success over Courcey Rovers in this Rebel Óg East minor A hurling championship quarter final, played in Ballynoe on Wednesday evening, July 13th last. Courceys had defeated Tracton by an eight point margin in a preliminary round the previous Saturday evening.

They had the opening score here too. Midfielder Cathal Maguire pointing them ahead after five minutes. But two minutes later were punished in the extreme. Dithering and inability to clear their lines saw Owen O’Neill whip the sliotar first time through a beleagered Courcey’s defence for the game’s only goal, crucial score of the match and the Saints into a lead they never looked like losing ahead at 1-02 to 0-02 on the fifteen minutes and the Saints went on to dominate the second quarter. Indeed three points without reply in as minutes approaching the break now had the home based team in a very strong position. Ahead on a scoreline of 1-09 to 0-05, favourable conditions to come and seemingly well in control.

Third quarter points from Thomas O’Donnell, Richard Galvin and Ben O’Brien nullified the threat of an impending comeback, though the shooting from there to the end wasn’t great. Catherine’s recording eleven second half wides and seventeen in all. Failing to score at all through the fourth and final quarter. Courcey’s plugged away and mainly through Richard Sweetman and Brendan Ryan although failing to bag that much required goal were both involved without reply in the final four scores of the match. Do you know what it might be no harm at all knowing improvement will be sought before facing Sliabh Rua in the semi-final, scheduled for the end of August.

Scorers: O O’Neill (1-01), R Galvin (0-03 frees) (0-01 ’65) (0-04), B O’Brien and RD Galvin (0-03 each), K English and T O’Donnell (0-01 each).

Team: E Davis, P Keane, E Wallace, K geary, S O’Regan, C Galvin, K Neville, T O’Donnell, RD Galvin, L Beecher, N O’Regan, B O’Brien, O O’Neill, R Galvin (team captain), K English. Subs: R English for S O’Regan (6), A Long for N O’Regan (43), A O’Brien for O O’Neill (53). Also on panel: N O’Callaghan, J O’Brien, C Hickey and B McKee. Referee: Ger Scully (Killeagh).

Under 11 hurling league – group one round nine

St Catherines 4-04 Youghal 2-03

A sixth win from seven outings is now the tally following this well earned eventual seven point victory over a gallant Youghal outfit, when this round nine under eleven hurling league tie was played in Ballynoe on Monday evening, July 11th last Sean O’Donoghue had the Saints off to the start required. With the games first point and lead score as early as the second minute a blistering Nathan Sheehan strike from far out ended up in the net extending the lead after ten minutes!

But Youghal were sticking in there, they threatened on numerous occasions but Oisín Fitzgerald at the back and Darragh Morrison dropping deep to keep his defence repel most attacks.

A brace of Cathal Sheehan second half goals to which Kian O’Donoghue added the point and score of the match secured the win over a Youghal team in which coach Vincie Murray tells us PJ McCarthy, Niall Baylor, James Murray and Bobby Nicholson played well.

Scorers: C Sheehan (2-00), K O’Donoghue (1-00 free) (1-03), N Sheehan (1-00) and S O’Donoghue (0-01).

Team: C Leamy, O’Fitzgerald, C Hayes, D O’Donovan, S O’Donoghue, E O’Driscoll, N Sheehan, K O’Donoghue, D Morrison, J Bryan, S Cotter, C Sheehan; also A Bryan. Referee: Pat Fitzgerald (home club).

Under eleven football league group one – round five

St Catherines 3-08 Kiltha Óg 2-03

St Catherine’s were completing the double over Kiltha Óg and in the process their haul of six points from five games played following this under eleven football league round five tie when played in drab conditions at Ballynoe on Friday evening last.

It was a very evenly fought opening half. Nathan Sheehan with the goalkeeping the Saints to shade it at 1-01 to 0-03 at halftime. In fairness they might have had a few more scores. But Odhrán Sweetnam couldn’t be beaten in the opposition goal.

It was 1-06 to 1-03 for the home team when the key score arrived. Ciaran Leamy, who registered a brace of well taken second half points, with the key delivery flashed to the net by the ideally placed and alert Darragh Morrisson. Also Shane Cotter, Oisín Fitzgerald and Kian O’Donoghue found the target in overcoming a Kiltha side who apart from the goalkeeper had prominent players in Charlie O’Neill and Ewan Wimpenny. They are coached by Eddie Geaney himself winning county medals with Catherines over twenty years ago.

Scorers: D Morrison (2-01), N Sheehan (1-00), S Cotter and C Leamy (0-02 each), K O’Donoghue, C Hayes and O Fitzgerald (0-01 each).

Team: D O’Donovan, S O’Donoghue, C Sheehan, O Fitzgerald, E O’Driscoll, N Sheehan, D Morrison, K O’Donoghue, C Hayes, C Leamy, S Cotter. Also J Bryan, C Dunning, C McCarthy, A Bryan and G O’Callaghan McCarthy. Referee: Pat Fitzgerald (home club).


Juvenile Tonight (Thursday) July 21st Under fourteen B hurling league section two round five v Castlelyons (away) at 7.30pm.


Sunday, July 24th at Castleyons under twenty one A hurling championship quarter-final v Watergrasshill at 12 noon.


Cork must now play Donegal in the next round of football qualifiers, on in Croke Park on the afternoon of Saturday, July 30th. Rapid improvement is needed. But one feels they are not without hope.


T&A Plant Hire, Ballynoe are St Catherine’s GAA club sponsors.