St. Catherine's News

06 October, 2009

A strong final quarter performance wasn’t sufficient to rescue the Saints when losing to neighbours Castlelyons in the divisional minor B football championship semi-final on Wednesday evening September 30th last. With the appointed venue of Rathcormac not available and following the toss of a coin the match was relocated to the opponents’ venue with a 6pm start. Ahead 0-07 to 0-4 at the break Castlelyons effectively won the match in the minutes following the turnaround. Goals from Alan O’Regan and Chris Cotter helped to stretch the lead to 2-08 to 0-05 by the three quarter stage. A smart Alan Barry stop to deny Patrick Roche was also a contributory factor in a now 9 points Saints deficit. But a goal from substitute Daniel Mangan re-ignited the Saints challenge. John Hurley kicked 2 points both of which trimmed the gap to just 3 points, which was the margin of victory in the finish on an end scoreline of 2-09 to 1-09. Castleyons will play Kiltha Og in the final. Both the Castlelyons game and the previous emphatic quarter final win over Cloyne doubled up as league matches bringing the Saints a tally of 4 points from 5 league matches played, unlikely to be enough to ensure progression.

It was a disappointing week overall for the Saints. Following wins over Cloyne and Russell Rovers and well in contention until half time when trailing by just a point on a score line of 1-05 to 1-04, we were eventually overrun by a strong Youghal challenge in the U16 B football championship semi final when played under lights in Ballynoe on Monday night, September 28th last. Again following an impressive win over Middleton 2 in the penultimate round St. Catherine’s just came up that bit short against Killeagh Ita's when the 13 aside U13 C hurling final was also played under lights at Ballynoe on Thursday night last. A cracking encounter though with the Saints very reliant on Rory Galvin and in particular the very impressive team captain Shane O’Brien for scores. A greater spread kept the opposition ahead 3-04 to 1-04 at half time for a 3 point win. The final score was 6-07 to 4-09. Ongoing at the moment are the divisional U11 leagues, with the football in a blitz format scheduled for Cloyne this upcoming weekend, as is the opening round of the U15 B hurling championship.

At adult level St. Catherine’s are still involved in the East Cork Junior B football championship and are into the semi final of the divisional U21 B hurling championship.

Pairc Naomh Caitriona, Baile Nua was the venue for this year’s East Cork U21 A hurling championship final, played under lights on Wednesday night September 30th last. Sars retained their title on 1-17 to 0-12. St. Catherine’s official Edward Sheehan was the referee.

St Catherine’s ladies have a County Senior Camogie semi-final replay upcoming with St. Finbarr’s, while at the time of submitting this report the club lotto jackpot stands at €3,600.