Killeagh GAA Club Notes

25 April, 2016

Killeagh GAA Club Weekly News                                                                                                                                                                 

NEWSLETTER FOR W/C April 25th 2016 .


Club Lotto Results;

Our last lotto draw took place on Tuesday April 19th where there was no winner of the €14,800 jackpot. Numbers for the draw were 3, 8, 11 and 24. Lucky dip winners were JJ Fennelly, Eileen Cashman, Fiona McMahon and Bernie Quirke. The jackpot prize for our next draw will be €15,000. It will take place in our clubhouse on Tuesday night, April 26th. You can now purchase your lotto ticket on-line; just follow the lotto link on the homepage of our website – Thanks to everyone who supports our weekly lotto draw [RN]

Official Opening of our club grounds will take place on Sunday May 8th. The official opening ceremony will be performed by Uachtarán CLG Aogan O' Fearghail at 1.00pm. This will be followed by a Red FM SHL fixture between Killeagh and Youghal at 2.00pm. Taking centre stage on the day will be a senior inter-county hurling challenge game between Cork and Limerick scheduled for 3.30pm. We hope to see as many as possible from near and far coming to our grounds to share in what can only be described as a fantastic achievement for our club and its local community.

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Top of Form

East Cork Football/Hurling;

The draws for the East Cork Football C’Ship 2016 have taken place and full details of all draws and dates can be found on website

Our junior ‘B’ team played Glenville in the EC Junior ‘B’ c’ship losers round and unfortunately bowed out on the smallest of margins on Monday evening April 18th in Killeagh. The final score was 1-07 to 1-06. Our junior ‘A’ team played Castlelyons in Dungourney in round 4 of the c’ship. They gave a fantastic performance and after extra time in an epic encounter they lost out on a final score of 1-09 to 1-11. Details of all fixtures/results are available on

Red FM SHL/Cork SH Championship 2016:

The senior hurling team are due to play Youghal in a Red FM SHL fixture as part of our official opening programme on May 8th. The following Sunday they are down to play Muskerry in the only preliminary round of this year’s SHC. This game is scheduled for Pairc Ui Rinn with a throw-in time of 3.30pm.The junior hurling squad are down to play Carrigtwohill in their next fixture on May 9th in Carrigtwohill. The team and selectors and club would appreciate your support so please try your best to come out and cheer your team. Our junior ‘A’ hurling team played Blarney on Weds April 20th in the County JHL in Blarney and the game finished with honours shared on a final score of 2-17 to Killeagh’s 4-11with the throw-in timed for 7.15pm. Full details of all competition draws, fixtures, results and tables are available on

Golf Society

The society had another very successful outing to Dungarvan Golf Club on Saturday April 23rd. The course and facilities were excellent and the good weather added to the day’s enjoyment. The outing was very kindly sponsored by Mr Tim Crotty and the presentation of prizes was held in Mahony’s Bar in Killeagh on Saturday night. Results of this outing were as follows: 1st was Tim Fitzgibbon on 42pts, 2nd Colin Fogarty on 40pts, 3rd was John Walsh on 38, Best Gross was Ger Ahern, in 5th place was Ger Fitzgibbon with 38pts and in 6th was M Keniry on 36pts. 


 Upcoming Club Events Diary 2016:

We have dates for events at our club for 2016 so please make a note in your diary.

Our Golf Classic for 2016 is scheduled for July 14th-16th at West Waterford Golf and Country Club

GAA Cul Camp week for 2016 is scheduled for July 18th – 22nd at Pairc Ui Chinneide


Killeagh-Ita’s Juvenile News


Under 12 hurlers convincing winners in opening game

Fé 12 Rebel Óg Eastern ‘A’ Hurling Killeagh-Ita’s v Erins Own

We welcomed Erins Own U12 hurling team to Páirc Uí Chinnéide on Monday April 18th. A well-contested first quarter saw both defences on top with just two early points for our boys from Daniel Walsh’s free and Colm Leahy. Our full-back line of Danny Fitzgerald, Conor Meade and Daniel Griffin came under sustained pressure but both this line and cúl báire Pierse Geary dealt with everything that came at them. However, a deserved goal eventually came on the 16th minute for Erins Own and their forwards were unlucky not to add more. In the final five minutes of the half, two more goals from Colm and another point from Daniel gave us a flattering 3-4 to 1-0 lead at half time. The second half saw further domination from our forwards, and the lead gave bainisteoir Adrian an opportunity to move players around in different positions. Ben Budds got on the score sheet and David Buckley (point) and Ben Fogarty (goal) got late scores to give our team a convincing win in the end. Well done to the Erins Own team for showing great heart right to the end, with a special mention to their ‘Killeagh-connected’ player, skilful and stylish Shane Irwin, who had an excellent game from start to finish.

Team: Pierse Geary, Danny Fitzgerald, Conor Meade, Daniel Griffin, Callum Martin-White, David Buckley, Evan Daly, Rory Motherway, Ben Budds, Ben Fogarty, Darragh O’Leary, Daniel Walsh, Eric Millerick, Colm Leahy, Ciaran Brennan.

Under 16 footballers have a 48-hour double

Fé 16 Rebel Óg Eastern B Football Bishopstown 2-5, Killeagh-Ita’s 5-6

Fé 16 Rebel Óg Eastern B Football Killeagh-Ita’s 6-7, Fr. O’Neills 5-7

A very successful week for our Under 16 footballers saw them gain maximum league points from Thursday night’s trip to Bishopstown to play their second string, and the visit of our Fr. O’Neills neighbours on Saturday afternoon to Páirc Uí Chinnéide. The Bishopstown game was that clichéd ‘game of two halves’ with a wind and a slope contributing to the home team’s domination in the first half, leading by 1-5 to 0-2 at the break. Astute changes by Tom and Colm at the break had an immediate impact on the restart, with Richie Landers marking his introduction at corner-forward with a quick goal. When Adrian Galvin goaled within three minutes, we were level, and our domination around the middle third, with Padraig Leahy, Dylan Hogan and Richie Long very busy, saw us add further goals from Barry Motherway and a brace from Richie giving him his hat-trick. In the final few minutes Bishopstown replied with a goal to leave the final score 5-6 to 2-5 in our favour.

Less than 48 hours later, our neighbours Fr. O’Neills arrived in Páirc Uí Chinnéide to play Round 4 of the Football League. Richie Landers replaced the injured Padraig Leahy in the only change to the starting fifteen. This was a real ‘all-out attack’ game, or perhaps ‘no-defence’ game, with both teams scoring some excellent goals, but also benefitting from some obvious errors in the defences of their opponents. A slow beginning on the scoreboard saw O’Neills lead by 0-2 to 0-1 after the first quarter, although we had hit both the crossbar and the post in that time. Two quick-fire goals from Richie Landers and a Jack Wyse bullet to the roof of the net, along with two points from Richie, gave us a 2-3 to 0-2 lead, before our defence took their half-time break. Trouble is, it wasn’t yet half-time, with only 26 minutes gone on referee Pa Beausang’s clock. In that crazy four minutes before half-time, we conceded a remarkable 3-2, leaving our mentors and supporters scratching their heads wondering how we had contrived to turn a seven point lead into a four point deficit so quickly. The likes of it hadn’t been seen since Offaly’s mugging of Limerick in the 1994 All-Ireland Final! The half-time talk from Tom and Colm galvanised our team who improved immeasurably at the back after half-time, and after Richie Long goaled on 39 minutes, we were back in front, 3-5 to 3-4. O’Neills got their first point of the second half mid-way through, and then their defence took their time out, allowing our forwards to score three quick goals from Adrian Galvin, Richie Long and Paul Delaney. By this time, with eight minutes to go, we led by 6-7 to 3-4 and the game looked done and dusted. However, we again took our foot off the gas, leaking 2-2 in the last eight minutes, and the three minutes of additional time seemed to stretch on for ever. Eventually, we suppressed the final attack to hold on and preserve our 100% record. Well done to the full panel of players for a great effort over the two games, with 24 players used in all.

Team: Olin Hennessy, Daragh Geary, Daniel Lucey, James Kent, Kieran Daly, Dylan Hogan, Ryan McCarthy, Barry Motherway, Padraig Leahy, Oisin McCarthy, Adrian Galvin, David Kelly, Richie Long, Jack Wyse, Andrew Foley. Subs: Cathal Fitzgibbon, Paul Delaney, Richie Landers, Owen Cosgrove, Darragh O’Connor, Olan Broderick, Robert Sinclair, George Sinclair, Karl O’Toole.

Bad Night at the Office For Minor Hurlers

Rebel Óg Premier 1 Hurling League Douglas 2-15, Killeagh-Ita’s 2-10

Just a week out from championship, and a big wake-up call for our minor hurlers who suffered their first loss in the league in a disappointing performance in Douglas on Friday night. Four players were unavailable for a variety of reasons, stretching our panel’s resources, yet this was still a sub-par effort, especially in the closing five minutes of the first half, conceding 2-2 to trail by 2-11 to 1-3, having scored our goal through Shane Kearney after just three minutes. The dressing down at half-time did reap some rewards in the second half, with improved effort throughout the field giving a better look to the scoreboard. Highlights were a goal from Killian Treacy, finishing off a fine move all the way out of defence involving five players, and an excellent Eoin Fitzgibbon run and point from the right wing. Much improvement required for our championship opener v Sarsfields in Cobh on Friday next, April 29th at 7.00 p.m.

Team: Fionn McDonnell, Dylan Hogan, Jack O’Rourke, Barry Motherway, Jamie Landers, Kevin Murphy, Cathal Deane, Christy Coughlan, Keane Kelly Budds, Eoin Fitzgibbon, Andrew Leahy, Padraig Leahy, Shane Kearney, Killian Treacy, Aaron Walsh. Subs: Richie Long, Adrian Galvin.

U13s open with a win, just!

Rebel Óg Fé 13 Premier 2 Hurling League Erin’s Own 0-10, Killeagh-Ita’s 4-3

It was a lucky win for our Under 13 hurlers in their opening game of this year’s hurling league in Caherlag on Sunday April 24th.  Both teams played excellent hurling in patches, with Erin’s Own probably more consistent over the hour. Nevertheless, two excellent David Buckley goals in the first half (10th and 13th minutes) gave us a three point lead at the break (2-2 to 0-5). Two quick-fire goals just after half-time from a George Walsh free and Callum Martin White (after a great shot from Ciaran Brennan was excellently saved) gave us a cushion of 4-2 to 0-5. We only added one more point, from a long distance free by George, while Erin’s Own added on five more points. Were it not for a brilliant save from the same David Buckley (cúl báire for second half) and a penalty that went over rather than under the bar, it could have been victory for our hosts. Well done to our team who did what needed to be done to get the points, with Jamie Fogarty outstanding at full back, batting and clearing away everything that came his way.

Team: Conor Meade, Rory Motherway, Jamie Fogarty, Jack Flanagan, Rory Lynch, George Walsh, Padraig Mackey, Aaron Fitzgibbon, Evan Lane, David Buttimer, Colm Treacy, Eoin Brenner, Ben Fogarty, David Buckley, Daniel Walsh, Ciaran Brennan, Callum Martin White.