Russell Rovers Report

28 September, 2009

Russell Rovers GAA

Bride Rovers 4-16 Russell Rovers 1-5

This replay of the U21 hurling championship was in stark contrast to the drawn encounter in Ballynoe a few weeks ago as we were comprehensively defeated by a much stronger and better equipped Bride Rovers side on this occasion. Having to line out without three key players, Kevin Tattan, John Ahern and James Furlong, we found ourselves at a major disadvantage ever before the ball was thrown in.

Once Bride Rovers opened their account with a few points from soft frees in the opening minutes they went on a scoring rampage that was to continue right up to the interval which saw the scoreboard reading 3-10 to a single point scored by Kevin O’Brien. Were it not for some spectacular saves by goalkeeper Andrew Hartnett and another great save by full-back Patrick Crowley, the score-line would have reached far greater proportions. On the resumption of play the Rathcormac side continued to show no mercy and piled on the scores to which we could only reply with three pointed frees by Daniel Moynihan, a point from play by Barry O’Keeffe and a consolation goal by Antoin Walsh just before the final whistle. Fair play to our lads for trying to the very end, despite the interruption of a big melee in the last quarter which one Bride Rovers player in fairness tried to quell by shouting at his team mates to take a look at the scoreboard. From the loud applause that greeted each Bride Rovers score, even when they were 25 points ahead, one gathered that they seemed to derive particular satisfaction in annihilating this young Russell Rovers side which it must be said is their right but hopefully the wheel will turn a full circle for our lads in a couple of years’ time.

Team: Andrew Hartnett; John Burke, Patrick Crowley, James Ahern; Kevin O’Brien, Barry O’Keeffe, Paul Lane; Daniel Moynihan, Anthony Walsh; Eoin McGrath, Tadgh Crowley (Capt), Brian Hartnett; Aidan Beausang, Alan Cott, Antoin Walsh.

Subs: Aaron Beausang and James Walsh (both used).

Russell Rovers 2-13 Midleton 2-11

We collected another brace of points from this JHL Division 1 game played in Midleton last Sunday morning in perfect weather conditions and on a pitch ideally suited for fast open hurling. While the points at stake were irrelevant to both teams, it was still necessary to fulfil the fixture to avoid the punitive financial penalty that would otherwise be imposed under GAA rules. Nevertheless, it was a keenly contested affair which saw some excellent scores from both sides with Rovers leading at the break by 1-6 to 1-2. Midleton took control of the game for periods of the second half and were it not for a combination of some excellent saves by Eoin Ivers in goal and poor shooting by their marksmen, particularly from placed balls, the Magpies would have won the game comfortably. Our full-forward line, consisting of Ian Smiddy, Joe Walsh and Brian Hartnett bagged a total of 2-10 between them which was an excellent return over the hour. (A word of thanks to flu victims Brian Crowley and Anthony Walsh for togging out in order to complete a full team).

Team: Eoin Ivers; Anthony Archer, Padraig Higgins, Brian Crowley; James Ahern, Matthew Fitzgerald, Derek Crowley; Daniel Moynihan (0-1), John Paul Ivers; Tadgh Crowley, Barry Hartnett (0-2), Barry Fitzgerald, Ian Smiddy (1-3), Joe Walsh (1-1), Brian Hartnett (0-6). Sub: Anthony Walsh (used).


JHL Div 1: Russell Rovers v Killeagh in Shanagarry on Sunday, 4th Oct at 11.30 am.

It is also hoped to play our final Division 3 game v Killeagh on the same day.

There are still two rounds of the Junior B football championship to be played before our semi-final opponents are known.