St Catherines GAA Notes

09 October, 2015

Minor hurlers overtaken just at end of regional league final

St Catherines, performing much better than when the same two teams met in the championship, just lost out this time to Courcey Rovers in the Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league final. Elsewhere, a share of the spoils accrued with defeated divisional finalists St Itas in the final game of the East Cork junior hurling league. While chances of promotion were dented, losing the last match to Glenbower Rovers in the second division of the junior football league.

Rebel Óg East Minor A Hurling League Final

Courcey Rovers 1-14 St Catherines 0-13

There is no doubt this bunch of U18 hurlers have participated in some battles this season. Just getting over the line by the slimmest of margins in the first round of the championship against Erins Own, following extra time at a dull, foggy and overcast Caherlag back in mid July. That recent league semi-final against Blackrock under lights at Ballynoe nine days ago, again twenty minutes extra time required, ten a-side. Before progression was assured, sandwiched in between a most disappointing performance losing heavily to Courcey Rovers in the second round of the championship at Ballinspittle towards the end of July.

This Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league final was the ideal opportunity to redress that awful night and perhaps win a trophy, something to show at the end of a busy and intense year. They came perilously close to living the dream. Unfortunately for them just coming up short right at the death. Courcey Rovers were placed in section one of the minor A hurling league, coming through along with Blackrock from a group also featuring Aghabullogue, Ballinora, Carraig na bhFear and Douglas. While the Saints advanced unbeaten from section two, Kiltha Óg were second. Also involved were Bride Rovers, Erins Own, Watergrasshill and Youghal.

On the weekend the Saints scraped through against the Rockies, the Ballinspittle/Ballinadee entourage were proving much too strong for Kiltha Óg. Within twenty-four hours negotiations opened on the fixing of the decider. Although too late for inclusion in last week’s notes, time, date and venue were agreed by Tuesday at lunch time. Any talk of other possible venues irrelevant. It was ratified at a board meeting in the Silver Springs that night. This Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league final was going to Ballygarvan at 11.30am on Sunday morning last. Nowhere else. And why should it? They had readily agreed to host the final and is a strategically well-located venue.

Both teams seemed to take an eternity to settle. First touch and accuracy off, wides tally had risen to ten before Courceys from a placed ball opened the scoring on fourteen minutes. Owen O’Neill with the game’s first score from play supplying the first equaliser just short of three minutes later. Making a few positional switches, which worked, five unanswered second quarter points had Courceys ahead on a half-time scoreline of 0-06 to 0-01. But how the Saints responded. Thomas O’Donnell and Richard Galvin among the scorers.

Five points without reply in as many minutes following the resumption. Sides level again. Game definitely on. Points from Tadgh O’Sullivan now further out the field and U15 player Seán Murphy restored the Courceys now narrow advantage. Standing at 0-09 to 0-06 to thirty nine minutes and again at 0-11 to 0-08 to forty eight. But this was proving a titanic struggle. St Catherines were putting it up to them in spades. They registered five points, one after the other as parity was restored for a third time. Thomas O’Donnell eased the Saints ahead for the first time, pointing from play. A trio of Rory Galvin points from placed balls all contributing to a two-point lead on a scoreline of 0-13 to 0-11 to fifty five minutes. Credit Courceys too, in the face of adversity and staring defeat in the face they responded, sign of a good team. Cathal Maguire tied it all up again on fifty nine minutes, when a lengthy stoppage ensued following a head injury picked up by Thomas O’Donnell, to whom we wish a speedy recovery.

There would be plenty of time added on. We weren’t sure how much. With excitement at fever pitch Michael O’Donovan drilled over the lead point for Courceys. We are now six minutes overtime. Ross O’Donovan with the killer blow and game’s only goal sixty seconds later. There would be no come back from that. Allowing for that, the time added on eventually extended to nine and a half minutes. Courcey Rovers will be the division’s only representatives in the county stages. Unlike the championship only one team goes forward. They also play either Ahane Gaels or Carraig na bhFear in the minor A hurling championship county final this upcoming weekend. Last Sunday’s league final should now be after sharpening them up a lot.

Disappointment for the Saints, but they were excellent. They redeemed themselves following that championship mauling against the same opposition and this time around, were competitive right to the

finish. Tom O’Donnell, Noel O’Brien, Shane Mulkerrins and Tim O’Connor were preparing their charges from early in the year. Only just losing out at the end. Jimmy Murphy, treasurer Rebel Óg East made the presentation to Michael O’Donovan, captain of the victorious Courcey Rovers team.

Courcey Rovers scorers: R O’Donovan (0-04 frees) (0-01 ‘65’) (1-05), M O’Donovan and T O’Sullivan (0-01 free) (0-03 each), S Twomey (0-01 free) (0-02) and C Maguire (0-01).

St Catherines scorers: R Galvin (0-05 frees), O O’Neill and T O’Donnell (0-03 each), Richard Galvin and N O’Regan (0-01 each).

Team: Eoin Davis, Philip Keane, Eoin Wallace, Kevin Geary, Shane O’Regan, Brian Davis (capt), Stephen O’Donnell, Thomas O’Donnell, Kieran Neville, Niall O’Regan, Rory Galvin, Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy, Owen O’Neill, Luke Beecher and Richard Galvin. Sub: Cormac Galvin for Luke Beecher (51’)

Also on panel: Kieran English, John Walsh, Seán Leamy, Robert English, Ben O’Brien, Darren Leamy, Jack O’Brien and Conor Hickey.

Referee: Seán Forde (Nemo Rangers).

East Cork Junior Hurling League Division One – Round Four

St Catherines 2-17

St Itas 1-20

A draw was a fair and justifiable result when the Saints were completing their campaign with a share of the spoils with this year’s defeated East Cork finalists in a round four fixture from division one of the divisional junior hurling league, when played under lights at Ballynoe on Thursday evening last.

St Catherines started the better in a contest of two well-matched teams. John Casey, Pádraig O’Connor and a brace from Rory Galvin had them four points without reply ahead to seven minutes. It was 0-06 to 0-03 to the end of the opening quarter. An opportunistic Conor Kearney goal pushed the lead out to 1-07 to 0-03 after twenty minutes. Settling for a lead for the home based team on a half-time scoreline of 1-10 to 0-09. They would keep the momentum going. This time Conor Kearney turning provider before the ideally placed Shane O’Brien flashed in a second goal. Making it 2-11 to 0-11, now three minutes into the change around.

But what really opened up this league match was a Seamus Harnedy free, which went all the way to the net. Now forty-eight minutes elapsed and the sides are together for the first time. Score standing at 2-13 to 1-16. Harnedy largely unerring from placed balls had St Itas ahead for the only time when converting his fourth 65 on fifty-seven minutes. Thus bringing Cork’s only All Star nominee to a haul of 1-13. All bar a point coming from placed balls.

In an exciting finish Pádraig O’Connor had the teams level for a fourth time. Pointing from play before Shane O’Brien had the home team briefly ahead again. But Itas secured the draw with a massive Cathal Deane point from a sweetly struck sideline ball right at the finish.

Scorers: S O’Brien (0-06 frees) (1-06), C Kearney (1-00), R Galvin (0-03), J Casey and P O’Connor (0-02 each), M Mulcahy, B Davis, J Neville and L O’Connor (0-01 each).

Starting fifteen: C Leahy, Stephen O’Brien, R Clancy, J Mulcahy, L O’Connor, C Hegarty, K Neville, M Mulcahy, J Neville, P O’Connor, R Galvin, B Davis, C Kearney, Shane O’Brien and J Casey. Subs: S O’Regan, N O’Brien and E Aherne for K Neville, B Davis and R Galvin (all second half).

Referee: Ger Scully (Killeagh).

East Cork Junior Football League – Division Two – Round Seven

Glenbower Rovers 1-06

St Catherines 0-04

Although billed in the notes for the Tuesday, this junior football league match was with the mutual agreement of both teams brought forward by twenty-four hours and played under lights at Killeagh on Monday night, September 28th last. Early points from John Walsh and Colm Molloy had the visitors into an early lead. But the Saints will rue missing many scoring chances against a visibly improving Glenbower. They gradually asserted their dominance as the half progressed and through Paul Keniry and Dan Landers, were 0-05 to 0-02 up at half-time. Stephen O’Brien pointed twice on the change around. But the Saints failed to peg back the difference.

Scorers: S O’Brien (0-02), J Walsh and C Molloy (0-01 each).

St Catherines team: E Corcoran, J Caples, J Mulcahy, R Galvin, D O’Connor, P O’Connor, B Davis, L O’Connor, S Cogan, J Neville, N O’Brien, S O’Brien, J Buckley, C Molloy and J Walsh.

Referee: James Daly (Youghal).


Can we take this opportunity of wishing St Catherines the best of luck when playing Douglas in the county senior camogie championship semi-final this forthcoming weekend.


T & A Plant Hire, Ballynoe are St Catherines GAA Club sponsors.


No sooner will the playing season wind down, when attention turns indoors. If anyone is interested in taking part in Scór na nÓg for U17s please contact cultural/Irish officer Marie Clancy. This year’s East Cork Scór na nÓg finals are on Sunday, November 8th in Lisgoold hall at 6pm.

Lotto Jackpot now at €4,000

Results from the most recent lotto draw held at The Fisherman’s Rest, Conna on Monday night last, October 5th. Numbers drawn were: 13, 15, 21 and 25. There was no winner of the €3,800 jackpot. Consolation winners were: ABD Syndicate, Ballynoe; Teresa Buckley, c/o The Big Tree, Aghern; Rena O’Regan, Cullinagh, Ballynoe; Liz O’Dowd, Cois Cille, Conna and Tommy Dinneen, Ballynattin, Ballynoe.

Next lotto draw is at The Winner’s Enclosure, Conna on Monday night October 12th for a jackpot now standing at €4,000.