St Catherines Notes

01 October, 2015

​A weekend of mixed fortunes
A two pronged success for Carraig na bhFear. Overcoming the Saints by the slimmest of margins in round one of the East Cork junior hurling league, doubling as a tournament final. Winning the Kevin Walsh Cup in the process. Elsewhere, in a rip roaring high scoring affair requiring twenty minutes of extra time, St Catherines saw off the tenacious challenge of Blackrock in the semi-final of the Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league. While the U12 hurlers retained the Paddy Sheehan cup. Read on for a glance at the highlights of a busy week.
East Cork Junior Hurling League – Division One – Round One
St Catherines 0-13 Carraig na bhFear 1-11
A late, late pointed free confirmed a victory by the slimmest of margins for Carraig na bhFear when this round one division one East Cork junior hurling league tie doubling as a tournament final, was played under lights at Ballynoe on Saturday night last.
They started off better and were ahead by three unanswered points to seven minutes. But Rory Galvin in a rich vein of form and continuing where he left off in a terrific minor match from the night before, with back to back points had the teams level for the first time in a now evenly fought contest at 0-4 each to the end of the opening quarter.
Carraig na bhFear struck for the vital goal finished off by Nicky Pyke after nineteen minutes. It was enough for the visitors in maintaining the lead on a half-time scoreline of 1-7 to 0-6. A bright opening to the second half. Shane O’Brien raising a white flag almost straight away. A poor clearance snapped up by Conor Hegarty duly added another. Further class and well-taken points from James Neville and aforementioned O’Brien would see the teams together again at 0-13 to 1-10 in fully justified time added on, following a lengthy stoppage to an opposition player. But right at the death Con Burns secured the spoils. Pointing a free right on sixty-four minutes. Unfortunately that was it. A league match which doubled as a tournament final for the Kevin Walsh cup. Club chairman Kevin Galvin thanked the referee and the opposition for the sporting game. Then handed over to Mark, brother of the late Kevin, who duly made the presentation to Con Burns, captain of the Carraig na bhFear team.
Con in a brief and well delivered oration was fully understanding of how the death of a young player affects a parish. Thanked everyone and offered three cheers for the Saints.
Scorers: S O’Brien (0-4 frees) (0-6), R Galvin and J Neville (0-2 each), C Kearney, B Davis and C Hegarty (0-1 each).
Team: C Leahy, Stephen O’Brien, R Clancy, J Mulcahy, L O’Connor, C Hegarty, K Neville, E Condon, M Mulcahy, J Neville, R Galvin, B Davis, C Kearney, P Roche, Shane O’Brien. Also on panel: J Casey, E Corcoran, B Mulcahy and E Aherne.
Referee: James Bermingham (Bride Rovers).
Rebel Óg East Minor A Hurling League Semi-Final
St Catherines 1-22 (0-17)
Blackrock 2-17 (1-14)
An astonishing contest between two evenly matched teams. Before the Saints progressed by a two point margin following twenty minutes of extra time when this absorbing Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league semi-final was played under lights at Ballynoe on Friday night last. Catherines topping group two with full points, rewarded with a home draw against the city based outfit who finished runners up on the other side.
Blackrock making the better start. Barry Granger with a goal inside three minutes. A score which would continue to have a huge influence on proceedings as the contest progressed. It would keep two evenly matched teams apart at the break. Blackrock ahead at 1-8 to 0-8.
With parity only restored for the first time at 1-11 to 0-14 to forty two minutes. A minor match dominated by the prolific free taking of two players, Rory Galvin for the home based team and Rory Kiely for the Rockies. One Galvin point from play over near the sideline at the opposite side to the dugouts, as good as we’ve seen. Owen O’Neill worked hard for his point and after sixty-six minutes of play we were going to extra time, ten minutes a-side. Finishing up at 1-14 to 0-17.
Blackrock added one point in the first period and when Mark Cunningham added a second goal to which Rory Kiely quickly followed up with a pointed free, were clearly in the ascendancy and ahead at 2-17 to 0-19, now nearly five minutes into the second period of extra time.
But with fortunes ebbing too and fro what a finish we had. In a pulsating contest which threw up everything a game possibly can, the outstanding Galvin somehow secured the vital touch for the Saints goal. He then shot over a stunning leveller. Before a minute from time substitute Kieran English popped over the lead point. Ironically the first time the Saints led in the entire match. Galvin added another almost on time. Bringing his overall tally to 1-17 and a place in the Rebel Óg East minor A hurling league final confirmed against either Kiltha Óg or Courcey Rovers.
Scorers: R Galvin (0-12 frees) (0-1 ’65’) (1-17), N O’Regan (0-2), Rd Galvin, O O’Neill and K English (0-1 each).
St Catherines team: E Davis, P Keane, E Wallace, K Geary, S O’Regan, B Davis, S O’Donnell, T O’Donnell, K Neville, N O’Regan, R Galvin, C Galvin, O O’Neill, L Beecher, Rd Galvin. Subs: R English for C Galvin (38’), K English for R English (72’), C Hickey for L Beecher (77’). Also on panel: J Walsh and D Leamy.
Referee: Jim Hennessy (Kiltha Óg).
Paddy Sheehan Cup Final
Victories over Lisgoold on a scoreline of 3-4 to 0-1 and Ballyhooly by just one point more (3-5 to 0-1) saw the Saints retain the Paddy Sheehan cup on scoring average, when played for in excellent conditions at Ballynoe on Saturday morning last. Ballyhooly just edged out Lisgoold in the other game. Referee was Eoin Davis. Juvenile chairman Paul Davis presented the winning trophy to successful Saints captain, Eoghan O’Riordan.
So who were we honouring? Paddy Sheehan was one of the founder members when the St Catherines club, as we know it today, was formed in 1946. Serving as its first treasurer incorporating the years 1946 to 1948. On passing, his nearest surviving relations would be twin brothers Billy and Batty O’Connell, both of whom have served the club well over the years and in his honour put up a cup in his name in the spring or early summer of 1993. Originally played for at minor hurling level. Over the years it began to slip off the radar a little. But in recent times has been resurrected by the juvenile club and is now played for at U12 hurling level.
Panel of players
Eoghan O’Riordan (team captain), Evan Philpott, Gerard Leahy, Mark Geary, Kyle Wallace, Gearoid O’Brien, Ben O’Connor, Harry Draper, Tom Hartnett, Fionn O’Connell, Darragh Galvin, Cathal Dinneen, Stephen Cotter, Conor England, William McAuliffe, Adam O’Donnell, James O’Callaghan, James Mulcahy, William Leamy, Cian Desmond Doyle, Denis Temple and William O’Driscoll.
St Catherines are through to the penultimate round and a date with Douglas. Overcoming the challenge of Carbery on a scoreline of 0-18 to 2-5 in the quarter-final of the county senior camogie championship when played at Castle Road in Mahon on Saturday afternoon last.
Ladies Football
No rousing comebacks required this time around. Twice at various stages of the opening half the Rebelettes were just a point adrift. But with two evenly matched teams together at 0-5 each to the break and on as many occasions throughout the opening half, gives you some idea of how close and tight last Sunday afternoon’s ladies gaelic football final was.
Three times Cork opened up three point leads as this final progressed. Eventually getting over the line by a two point margin. That’s how close it was. But this Cork team knows how to win. Five in a row. Ten titles bagged in eleven seasons. Some achievement. Congrats to all.
Don’t forget there are club meetings tonight (Thursday). Juvenile at 8.15, adult at 9pm.
T&A Plant Hire, Ballynoe are St Catherines GAA Club sponsors.
Can we take this opportunity of sympathising with the Fenton family, Castlelyons on their recent sad bereavement.
Tonight (Thursday), October 1st at Ballynoe East Cork junior hurling league division one round four v St Itas at 7.30pm.
Results from the most recent lotto draw which was held at The Big Tree, Aghern on Monday night last, September 28th. Numbers drawn were 8, 10, 14 and 17 and there was no winner of the €3,600 jackpot. Consolation winners being: Pat Clancy, Monagown, Conna; Claire Kearney, Shanakill, Curraglass; Ann Stack, c/o The Big Tree; Cathal Leahy, Curraheen, Conna and Pat Williams, c/o Cals.
Next draw for a jackpot of €3,800