St Catherines GAA Notes

22 July, 2015

Mixed fortunes in championship matches

It was a week which saw the Saints taste defeat in the second round of the divisional junior B hurling championship. Balanced by success in the first round of the Rebel Óg East minor A hurling championship. Ironically both matches were decided by a point. With the minors requiring twenty minutes of extra-time before it could be sorted. While the weekly lotto draw now has an accumulated jackpot of €9,600. No read on for a closer look.

Junior B hurling

championship - second round

Killeagh 0-20

St Catherines 1-16

Killeagh shaded this divisionl junior B hurling championship second round tie by the slimmest of margins when played in Castlemartyr on Wednesday evening, July 15th last. Sean Crowley played a starring role for the victors. With scores from frees, 65s and open play he finished the hour with a tally of fifteen points. Team captain Paul Keniry prominent in a supporting role.

Killeagh had opened up a five point lead when the Saints briefly flagging challenge would receive an injection of power in one of the moves of the game. John Casey and Laurence O’Connor were involved before team captain Noel O’Brien billowed the net from close range. A priceless and welcome goal on twenty eight minutes. Straight away Ed Aherne made a vital block at the other end and the half-time deficit of 0-12 to 1-06 didn’t look as dauting now.

Cormac Mulcahy taking advantage of a slack clearance pointed quickly on the changeover, narrowing the gap still further and keeping the Saints momentum going. Killeagh were always able to respond though invariably through the ever accurate Crowley.

That said a surging third quarter performance would see parity restored and the Saints edge their noses in front for the first time since the second minute. Ian O’Brien pointing a free following a foul on John Noonan on fifty six minutes. Teddy himself initiating the recovery with a marvellous point himself just previous. Two late Crowley frees sealed the deal.

Many thanks to Laurence O’Connor, Dick Morrison, Pat O’Brien and Aidan Flynn for working with the team. Patrick Sheehan was also involved earlier in the season.

Killeagh scorers: S Crowley (0-10 frees) (0-02 65’s) (0-15), S Treacy and P Keniry (0-02 each) and E Barron (0-01).

St Catherines scorers: N O’Brien (0-02 frees), (1-06), I O’Brien (0-03frees) (0-05), C Mulcahy (0-02), J Casey and J Noonan (0-01 each).

Team: Edmond Aherne, Jim Lane, Denis Lane, Colm Ahern, Conor Hegarty, Ed Kenneally, Seamus Kearney, Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy, John Mulcahy, Cormac Mulcahy, Kevin Mangan, Noel O’Brien (team captain), John Casey, Laurence O’Connor, Ian O’Brien. Subs: John Noonan for Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy (second half), Shane O’Regan for Conor Hegarty (34’), Kieran Neville for Seamus Kearney (40’), Luke Beecher for Noel O’Brien (50’), Johnny Hurley for Kevin Mangan (55’). Also on panel: Shane Walsh, Dave Wallace, John Walsh, David O’Connor, Sean Leamy, Christopher O’Donnell and Eoin Corcoran. Referee: James Hennessy (Dungourney).

Junior hurling

We are now on the way to one of the influential games of the year. St Catherines will play neighbours Dungourney in the quarter-finals of the East Cork junior A hurling championship on the evening of Saturday, August 1st. Time and venue will follow after a divisional board meeting scheduled for Midleton last night (Wednesday, July 22nd).

More or less completing preparations with a challenge match played in gloriously sunny conditions at Clashmore on Sunday morning last. Nothing much separating two evenly matched teams through the opening exchanges. Scores level on four occasions through the first quarter and beyond. A super Shane Cotter point had the Saints ahead for the first time in a challenge match refereed by Tadhg Tobin of Brickey Rangers. Pointing fro distance before a Conor Kearney pass released Brian Mulcahy to finish off a well taken goal. Making it 1-05 to 0-04 to twenty minutes and 1-07 to 0-07 at half-time.

Although in contention to fifty minutes Clashmore who are merged with Kinsalebeg still only managed four points from open play. Sean Flemming contributing most of them. County player Brian Flannery at centre

back. Ed taking the ones from further out. A smashing Seanie Farrell goal on fifty one minutes sealed a win for the Saints on an end scoreline of 2-17 to 0-13.

Rebel Óg East news

East Cork Oil

sponsored minor A hurling

championship first round

Erins Own 1-16 (1-13, St Catherines 2-14 (2-10)

Hindsight can be a deceptive weapon. But what a contest and it’s unlikely any game for the remainder of this season will surpass this for raw courage, commitment, tension, excitement call it what you will. But at the end of eighty six absorbing minutes it was the Saints who advanced setting up a date with Courcey Rovers in the quarter-final, when this Rebel Óg East minor A hurling championship first round clash was played in dull, overcast and slippery conditions at Caherlag on Tuesday evening, July 14th last.

It was the home team who settled the better. Had the first point of the game on three minutes. Extending their advantage to four points at 0-05 to 0-01 to twelve minutes. Positional switches on both sides proved more beneficial to the Saints. Parity restored for the first time when after repair Seam Leamy defending, dangerman Robbie O’Flynn nicked an Erins Own goal. Establishing a 1-07 to 0-06 half-time lead for the home based team.

They added a further two unanswered points quickly on the changeover. But you sensed this championship tie took a distinct turn when an Eoin Wallace 65 ended up in the net just three minutes into the resumption. Erins Own ahead at 1-3 to 1-08 to fifty three minutes. But they just couldn’t shake off an intensifying Saints challenge which received the daylight required when Rory Galvin goaled a penalty on fifty eight minutes. Setting up twenty minites of extra time. Pointing a close in free right at the death.

Four points were shared in the first period of extra time. Score now standing at 2-12 to 1-15. Luke Beecher and Niall O’Regan shot over two invaluable points early in the second period. Eoin Monahan hauled one back but the Saints wouldn’t be denied and it was they who were embedded in the opposition half when the shriek of the full-time whistle could be heard throughout the grounds. A famous win indeed.

Scorers: R Galvin (1-00pen), (0-2 frees) (1-02) E Wallace (1-01) both 65’s, N O’Regan and B Davis (0-3 each), B O’Brien (0-02), RD Galvin, K Neville and L Beecher (0-01 each).

Team: E Davis, P Keane, R Galvin, K Geary, E Wallace, S O’Regan, S Leamy, B Davis (team captain), K Neville, B O’Brien, L O’Callaghan McCarthy, RD Galvin, T O’Donnell, L Beecher, N O’Regan. Sub: C Galvin for K Geary (75’). Also on panel: D Leamy, J Walsh, J O’Brien, C Hickey, K English, S Spillane, O O’Neill, R English and S O’Donnell. Referee: John Kirby (Midleton).

Minor B football league section two - round six

Kiltha Óg 2-16

St Catherines 4-02

Challenge games aside a first competitive defeat inflicted in either code all year. Kiltha Óg a slicker and more committed outfit well deserving of the points on offer when this round six minor B football league match was played in Castlemartyr on Friday evening last.

Catherines would make the better start. Kieran Neville putting Kieran English through. Finishing off the first point and in turn a goal after six minutes. Luke Beecher and John Walsh were involved in the creation of the second. Again finished off by Kieran English against a visibly improving Kiltha Óg who took a lead they wouldn’t relinquish after Conor Whyte goaled after twenty eight minutes. They were denied a second goal by a splendid double save from Rory Galvin between the posts. Kiltha Óg ahead at 1-08 to 2-02 at half-time.

Effectively sealing the issue when midfielder Ryan Denny added another goal just seven minutes into the second half. Declan Kelly and Denis Broderick adding a string of points to fifty minutes. Kevin Geary had the Saints first score of the second half goaling on fifty three minutes. Rounding off the scoring when Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy, who worked hard and never gave up the challenge all night put Niall O’Regan through for a well taken, albeit consolation fourth goal before the finish.

It’s never easy when the appointed ref doesn’t show. In his absence Edmond Galvin did an excellent job.

Scorers: K English (2-01), K Geary and N O’Regan (1-00 each and J Walsh, (0-01).

Team: R Galvin, O O’Neill, S O’Regan, C Galvin, R English, S Leamy, RD Galvin, B Davis, L O’Callaghan, McCarthy, E Davis, K Neville, L Beecher, N O’Regan, J Walsh, K English. Subs: K Geary for B Davis (18’), E Wallace for RD Galvin (second half), B O’Brien for J Walsh (‘45).

Referee: Edmond Galvin (St Catherines).

Under fourteen B hurling league - round nine

Ballinora 5-03

St Catherine’s 4-06

This is a very young St Catherines team. Thankfully only three available players now playing are up to the age. Looked at in that perspective credit then on claiming five points from seven matches played. Drawing this round nine under fourteen B hurling league tie when played in Ballinora on Monday evening, July 13th last.

Team: E Sheehan, I Ohrim, E O’Riordan, M Geary, J O’Keeffe, C O’Brien, J McGuckian, C Dinneen, B McKee, K Barry, H Draper, J Hayes, T Hartnett, A O’Brien, G England. Subs all used were: S Dunning, C England. E Philpott, W Leamy and G O’Brien.

Under twelve A hurling league - round six

St Catherines 2-07 Whites Cross 0-01

After drawing with Donoughmore in a previous outing St Catherine’s recorded their first win, thus bringing their tally to three points from six matches played when this round six under twelve A hurling league tie was played in Ballynoe on Wednesday evening, July 15th last. Cathal Dineen, runing up a return of 1-04, was scorer in chief.

Scorers: C Dineen (1-04), G O’Brien (1-00), H Draper, D Temple and D Galvin (0-01 each).

Panel of players on the night were: E Philpott, M Geary, B Barry, E O’Riordan, K Wallace, C England, H Draper, B O’Connor, F O’Connell, G O’Brien, C Dineen, D Temple, D Galvin, W McAuliffe, J Mulcahy, J O’Callaghan, W O’Driscoll and E Long.

Fixtures: Adult Saturday, July 25th at Ballynoe East Cork junior A hurling championship third round Bride Rovers v Killeagh at 7.30pm.

Rebel Óg East

Tonight (Thursday) July 23rd at Shanbally under fourteen C football league section two round seven v Shamrocks at 7.15pm.

Saturday, July 25th under eleven hurling league section two round five v Whitescross (away) at 12noon.

Saturday, July 25th at Ballynoe under fifteen B football championship first round v Mitchelstown at 2pm.

Club meetings

Club meetings tonight (Thursday). Juvenile is 8.15pm followed by a meeting of the parent club at 9pm.


T & A Plant Hire Ballynoe are St Catherine’s GAA Club sponsors.


Well now its sink or swim, no more safety nets or back doors. This weekend Cork’s senior intercounty fate will be decided. It won’t be easy now to pick up the pieces following that defeat in Killarney on Saturday evening last. Kildare themselves were the victims of a savage mauling from Dublin. Out the weekend after that they just about got over Offaly. But are motoring nicely now. Confidence will be high against what will clearly be deflated opposition. Although Cork’s record against them is good, Kildare will fancy this one now. Cork v Kildare All Ireland senior football qualifier is on Satruday.

Twenty four hours later an attractive double header in Thurles. Starting at 2pm with the pairing of Dublin and Waterford in the first of this year’s All-Ireland senior hurling quarter finals. Cork and Galway to follow at 4pm. One would fancy Waterford to advance and a meeting with reigning champions Kilkenny. How will the Rebels cope with formidable Galway forwards? All will be revealed this forthcoming Sunday afternoon. Winners to play Tipperary.

Lotto results

Results from the most recent lotto draw which was held at The Big Tree, Aghern on Monday night last, July 20th. Numbers drawn were 10, 19, 26 and 28. There was no winner of the €9,400 jackpot. While the consolation winners were: Oliver Twomey c/o Fisherman’s Rest, Siobhan and John Corcoran, Newtown, Ballynoe; Michael Walsh, Curraglass D & L syndicate c/o Winacres Stables and Pat Parker, Conna. Next week’s draw for a jackpot of €9,600 will be at The Fisherman’s Rest, Conna on Monday night, July 27th.