St Catherines GAA Notes

16 July, 2015

Juvenile dominated week

By the time you read this report the club’s fate in this year’s minor A and junior B hurling championships will be revealed. Reports next week. To update you, St Catherines have been paired with Dungourney in the quarter-final of the East Cork junior A hurling championship. A fixture pencilled in for the August bank holiday weekend. Coming down the tracks are scheduled opening matches in the minor B football and U21 B hurling championships. Last week was dominated by a juvenile programme of games in a busy Rebel Óg East schedule.

So we will give you the latest lotto results and move on. Draw held at McAuliffe’s, Ballynoe on Monday night last, July 13th. Numbers drawn were 16, 20, 21 and 29 and the jackpot of €9,200 wasn’t won. Consolation winners being Roy/Dolores Hartigan, c/o PH; Nora Cotter, Fermoy; Una Sheehan, Glentrasna, Ballynoe; James Ahern, West Street, Tallow and Ann Stack, c/o The Big Tree. Next week’s lotto draw, now with an accumulated €9,400 jackpot, will be at The Big Tree, Aghern on Monday night, July 20th.

Rebel Óg East Update

U16 A Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Killeagh/Itas 0-11

St Catherines 0-05

After sixty-six absorbing minutes of action out go the Saints. But that would be over-simplifying what was a brave commendable effort against fancied opposition, when this Rebel Óg East U16 A hurling championship quarter-final was played before a sizeable attendance in Killeagh on Thursday evening last.

That margin of defeat was halved from a league outing between the teams just ten days previous. Stressing that Killeagh/Itas did register an ungainly nineteen wides tally. True some of the finishing was poor. But credit too to the Saints who were defending heroically. Frequently forcing them into hurried shooting. While both teams didn’t really take full advantage of the prevalent stiffish breeze, which seemed to blow across the pitch towards the village side of the grounds. So would probably favour the team playing towards the new dressing rooms set up.

As it was Catherines took the lead with a well-worked score. Finishing with Ben O’Brien popping over a well-taken point on two minutes. Killeagh pressed. Poor finishing allied to some excellent defending with Richard Galvin and Philip Keane time and again mopping up dangerous ball, repelling all early attacks. That threatening equaliser did come on thirteen minutes, sixty seconds later the opposition ahead for the first time. A point from midfielder Pádraig Leahy, but anytime they may have looked like building on that apparent dominance, were reeled in by a committed Saints outfit. Late back-to-back first half Niall O’Regan points securing half-time parity on a 0-04 all scoreline.

Resuming with a remarkably similar start to the aforementioned league match. This time Eoin Davis the man on target with a smartly taken point just ninety seconds in. Unfortunately no further scores were forthcoming, although the sliotar was in the Killeagh/Itas net on forty minutes. Disallowed for a square infringement.

By now the teams were together for the fourth time. Killeagh/Itas ahead by a point to forty-three minutes. Stretching it to three at 0-08 to 0-05 to fifty-three minutes. But anything is possible and it was only when Seán Walsh, now evading the shackles of Saints captain Eoin Wallace had them four points up, did the opposition eventually look like winners. Driven on by the outstanding Keane Kelly Budds they added two further points in time added on. One scored by the also impressive Shane Kearney. So Killeagh/Itas who defeated Castlelyons in the first round on the previous Sunday evening advance and will now play either Aghabullogue or Erins Own in the regional semi-final.

Well done to the Saints mentors who worked so hard with this team through the spring and summer months. Manager is James Spillane, ably assisted by fellow selectors Paul Galvin and juvenile chairman Paul Davis. While Kieran Morrison and Seánie Farrell trained and coached the team. Beig lá eile ar an bpáorach.

Killeagh scorers: S Kearney (0-01 free) (0-04), R Long (0-01 free - 0-03), S Walsh (0-02), P Leahy and R McCarthy (0-01 each).

St Catherines Scorers: N O’Regan (0-01 free) (0-03), B O’Brien and E Davis (0-01 each).

St Catherines team: Darren Leamy, Ciaran O’Brien, Cormac Galvin, Philip Keane, Richard Galvin, Eoin Wallace (team captain), Shane Kelleher, Ben O’Brien, Owen O’Neill, Adam O’Brien, Kieran English, Eoin Davis, Brendan McKee, Robert English and Niall O’Regan. Subs used: Josh McGuckian for Adam O’Brien (59’), Gavin England for Brendan McKee (60’), Shane Spillane for Ben O’Brien (60 + 2). Also on panel: James Hayes, Andy Leahy, Eoin Sheehan and Aaron Long. Referee: James Daly (Youghal).

U14 B Hurling League – Round Eight

St Catherines 3-01

Aghada 4-13

Right from the outset Aghada, inspired by the excellence of Rory O’Connell, Ben O’Driscoll and Jaimie O’Hanlon, were the dominant force going on to record an emphatic victory, when this round eight U14 B hurling league tie was played in dull, overcast and breezy conditions at Ballynoe on Monday evening, July 6th last. That said, the score of the match was reserved for Ciaran O’Brien who clung an eye-catching goal from a magnificent strike just before the break. Ivan Ohrim, Brendan McKee, Adam O’Brien and Kevin Barry tried their hardest. But on the night Aghada were clearly the superior outfit.

Scorers: K Barry (0-01 free) (1-01), C O’Brien and T Hartnett (1-00 each).

St Catherines team: E Sheehan, J Duncan, E O’Riordan, I Ohrim, S Dunning, C O’Brien, J O’Keeffe, B McKee, J McGuckian, H Draper, A O’Brien, K Barry, D Galvin, G England and C England. Subs: C Dinneen and T Hartnett for D Galvin and C England (both second half). M Geary for J Duncan (53’), E Philpott for E Sheehan (53’), G Leahy for A O’Brien (53’), B Barry for J McGuckian (56’). Also on panel: W McAuliffe and G O’Brien.

Referee: James O’Brien (Midleton).

U12 B Football League – Section One – Round Six

Grenagh 5-09

St Catherines 5-06

What a contest, Catherines denied a share of the spoils, seeing a last minute penalty kick saved when this absorbing round six U12 B football league game went ahead early in Grenagh on Saturday morning last. Facilitating those travelling to that attractive triple-header in Thurles later in the afternoon. It was 4-06 to 3-01 to the home team at half time.

Now favoured by the conditions the visitors were coming much more into it. A brave effort only falling just short at the end. Tally now is six points from as many league matches played.

Scorers: T Hartnett (2-03), H Draper (1-02), E England (1-01) and S Cotter (1-00).

Team: E Philpott, E O’Riordan, B Barry, D Galvin, M Geary, G Leahy, H Draper, W Leamy, C England, C Dinneen, W McAuliffe, T Hartnett, S Cotter, K Wallace, J Pratt, A O’Donnell, J O’Callaghan and G O’Brien.

Referee: Jonathan O’Connell (Glenville).


Rebel Óg East

A meeting of Rebel Óg East was scheduled for Tuesday night last, July 14th. Fixtures will emerge from that.


Next club meetings are on Thursday evening July 23rd. Juvenile timed for 8.15pm. Followed by adult club at 9pm.


T & A Plant Hire, Ballynoe are St Catherines GAA club sponsors.


It may be not what we all want to hear, but if the remaining paths available from here on in work out according to form, Kilkenny and Tipperary will both end up again in this year’s hurling showpiece. Following last weekend’s spate of results from another intense programme of games, both are now provincial champions. Therefore will be kept apart and cannot now possibly meet until the All-Ireland senior hurling final itself on the first Sunday of September, should they get that far.

Still more hurling to come. Dublin now play Waterford and fancy the Munster representatives there. But the other quarter-final between Galway and Cork is much more difficult to call. Both of those matches are scheduled for the afternoon of Sunday, July 26th. They should be in Thurles.

In the interim we congratulate Cork intermediate hurlers on bringing the first provincial title to the county in either code with a Munster final victory over a fancied Limerick team in a decider played at Páirc Uí Rinn on Wednesday evening of last week July 8th. There are no All-Ireland semi-finals this year. Galway now play Cork in a straight final, it’s on August 8th.

Now we are into Thursday and the wheels are turning faster. Focusing on Killarney for that replayed Munster senior football final. As many as five players could be added to the Kingdom panel from the last day. Some of them could come straight in and actually start. Cork doesn’t have that luxury. There will be alterations, but you feel no sweeping changes. Actually, Cork’s record against Kerry in replays is quite

good, most of them in Páirc Uí Chaoimh though. This will be a difficult assignment. But like the last day, if you get a performance you never know. Throw in is 7pm on Saturday evening. It’s live on RTE 2.