21 May, 2015

Extra Special First Round Win.

After seven years of backdoors, side doors and trapdoors it was a case of straight through the front door and last man out turn off the lights at Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday night last. After an epic hurling game which lasted 91 minutes in total we defeated Bishopstown in the first round of the Cork Senior Hurling Championship. It's hard to imagine that we must go back to the year 2007 since we won our first round game. That victory was against St. Finbarrs and since then we've had to go the route variously described as 'scenic, treacherous, nervous' and 'unpredictable'.

In successive seasons since 2007 we've lost our opening championship tie to the 'Barrs 2008, Killeagh 2009, the 'Barrs 2010, Na Piarsaigh 2011, Erins Own 2012 and Carrigtwohill in the last two years. The backdoor route has become a well worn path for us but from the start of this season that a huge effort was being put in to gain a first round victory. After twenty two minutes of the game last Saturday night a win looked nigh impossible. Having fallen five points behind in the opening quarter we came right back into the game with a Stephen Glasgow goal to reduce the margin to two. We seemed to be going well but then the city side reeled off four points in a row to leave us six points in arrears. After that we managed four points to Bishopstowns  two to leave just four point in it at half time 1 6 to 0 11.  With Frank Hogan making his Senior Championship debut as goalie fronted by a Clare, Tipperary, Mullentoura full back line of Mike, Donncha and Fergus we got a perfect start. At the throw in team captain Brian Murphy was fouled and Barry hit over the first score of the game. Cian O Connor made two great probing runs but the 'Town defence cleared well. The city side set up defensively with a 'Stephen Cluxton-like short pass to a free defender' strategy. It meant they won a lot of ball which they passed time and time again down the wing by the covered stand  but our defence coped well with the ploy. Five minutes were gone before the teams were level. Then Bishopstown took over and hit over five points in a row -three from frees to lead by 6 points to one. We had plenty ball but found it difficult to convert possession whereas the 'Town scored easily with Pa Cronin a major threat. Our scoring famine ended when Brenny O Driscoll hit a point on the quarter hour. With Brian Murphy, Brendan and Shane Walsh and  Daniel Dooley coming more into the game we got a mighty boost a minute later. A perfect pass from Sean Ryan was finished to the net by Stephen Glasgow and there was only two points in it now 1   2 to  0  7. For some unknown reason we didn't step up our game after this tonic score. Instead it was the city side who rattled over four points -two from frees, in quick succession to make it 0  11 to 1  2  with eight minutes to go to the break.  Daniel Dooley scored a super point and Barry Johnson put over three points in a row to leave us just four points in arrears. The general consensus  amongst the faithful at the interval was that we were still well in it, we had just three wides in the opening half while Bishopstown had one less. We came out in determined fashion and the points started to come. Over the next fifteen minutes we outscored 'Town by 7 points to 2. Our first came from Stephen Glasgow after good play from Shane Kearney  and Brenny. Shane Walsh gave a beauty of a pass to Barry, another white flag followed by massive points from Cian and Brian. Barry made it level 1  11 to 0 14 in the forty first minute before Bishopstown took the lead again a minute later. James Murphy- the man from Clare, came on got stuck in straight away in his first ever championship game in the green, white and gold.  Two white flags from Stephen and Daniel saw us ahead by 1  13 to 0 15. Then Pa Cronin stepped up to take a close in free, With his side just a point in arrears most thought he'd tap over but he went for goal. The sliotar took a deflection off a hurley or a boot, shot upwards and hit the upright but stayed out of the net! Such are the incidents  that win games. Barry pointed a free to put us up two with less than five minutes to go 1  14 to 0 15. back came Bishopstown and scored four points in a row to leave them ahead by 0 19 to 1  14 with time almost up. It was do or die at this stage -only a goal  could save us. Daniel Dooley won possession and passed to Sean Ryan. His way seemed blocked by several defenders but somehow he managed to weave in and shoot a great goal - time up and we're up a point. In the twinkle of an eye the sliotar was up-field and Brian Murray sent over the levelling score. Colm Lyons blew the whistle -all square 2  14 to 0 29. Very mixed emotions- we were lucky to get the goal but we should have held our one point lead.  Extra time was decreed in all  championship first round games so the light came on in Pairc Ui Rinn as the two sides faced up for two periods of ten minutes. Mike Kearney, Jason Pratt and Ryan Prendergast were all introduced and contributed handsomely. The players were very tired after a hectic hour so scores were hard to come by in extra time. Eight minutes of stalemate ended with a crucial score. Barry floated in a lovely cross which was finished to the net by Daniel Dooley, we were up three and now the crowd were in full voice. From the puckout Shane Walsh gathered and sent over a super point - four up. The first period of ten minutes went on for nearly thirteen and the 'Town side got two points back. After four minutes of the second 'half' it was level again Bride Rovers 3 16 Bishopstown  0 25. Cian O Connor was fouled and Barry restored our lead. Bishopstown had a chance to level but it went wide. Michael Collins doubled our lead  to two points -the most dangerous lead in hurling. We were still defending when Colm Lyons finally ended a marathon match. The reaction at the end said it all as the sense of joy and relief swept over players and supporters alike. After seven years of having to play a Round Two gamer in a matter of a short few weeks it's great to have time to regroup and enjoy the summer training without the 'fear factor' hanging over the camp.

Well done to all the players on the panel. It was a great win masterminded by Joe, Daniel William and Paul with Jenny always at the ready with the magic rub!

Team and scorers; Frank Hogan, Fergus Collins, Donncha Carr, Mike Liddane, Brendan Walsh, Brian Murphy 0 1, Captain, Shane Walsh 0 1,  Shane Kearney, Cian O Connor 0 1, Barry Johnson 0  9- 0 6 frees, Brenny O Driscoll 0 1, Michael Collins 0 1, Stephen Glasgow 1 2, Sean Ryan 1 0, Daniel Dooley 1 2. Subs James Murphy(C), Mike Kearney, Jason Pratt & Ryan Prendergast. It's wonderful to see the spirit and determination in the panel and the way they hurl for each other and display that steely passion for the great game of hurling. This week with the last seven years we'd know our next opponents in Round Two - if we' lost Saturday night it would have been County Champions Sarsfields,  but this win means we are into Round Four which will be played in late July at the earliest. The win has many benefits; we will be Senior again next year, we have a nice long preparation time well after Exams for the next Round and most of all it creates a great buzz around the Club and Parish. Because the game ended level 2 14 to 0 20 at the end of normal time it counts as a drawn game in the Red FM S.H. League. Our next game in the League is on Friday week May 29th, Midleton V Bride Rovers at  Midleton at 7.30pm. This is Round 12 of the SHL..





 Pictures from the Senior Championship  game can be viewed on the club website and the player profiles have been updated also

 In July 2011 we met Bishopstown in the first round of the Co SHC at Riverstown and the game ended in a draw. Two weeks later in the replay at the same venue we had a merited 2  10  to 0 11 win over the city team. The team and scorers in that replay win were  Denis Fitzgerald, Aidan Collins, Brendan Walsh, Shane Kearney, Brian Murphy, Barry Murphy(Capt), Liam Forde, Mike Kearney, Barry Johnson(0 5,0 2f,0 -2 65) Michael Collins, David Burke (0  2), Padraig Murphy, Colm O Keeffe, Sean Ryan (0 1), Daniel Dooley (1  2). Subs Jason Mannix (1  0), Jerome O Driscoll and Brendan O Driscoll.



East Cork Junior Hurling League Division 2.


Bride Rovers 1  13 Killeagh  1  5.

On Monday night we travelled to a cold and blustery Pairc Risteard O Cheinneide in Killeagh to take on the home side in an East Cork Div 2 JHL game.This was our second game in the JHL campaign. We had a win over Carrigtwohill in the first game while our fixture v Castlelyons was postponed.  Bhi se fuair agus gaothfar ach bhi an cluiche go maith. A goal by corner forward Colm Power helped us to enjoy a substantial 1 9 to 0 2 interval lead. Killeagh came into the contest somewhat more after the break but we added a further four points to win on a scoreline of Bride Rovers 1  13 Killeagh 1 5.


Team and scorers;

 Jerome O Driscoll, Tadhg O Sullivan, Jacob Macak, Brian Collins, Barry Collins, James Murphy(Raheen), Jim O Connor, Damian Buckley  0 1, Jason Mannix 0 1, Stephen Pratt 0 1, Shane O Connor, William Finnegan 0 5, Colm Power 1 4, Gavin Quill 0 1, DJ. Cahill. Subs; Barry Murphy, Padraig Noonan, Cian Howard.


1930 East Cork Championship.

In the first round of the 1930 East Cork Junior A Grade Hurling championship Bride Rovers were pitted against Killeagh. The game was played in Lar Cotters field in Baneena, Bartlemy and the Rovers won by 8 4 to  2  2.

We have two games in the JHL  on the next two Wednesday nights, on Wednesday the 27th of May we are away to Sarsfields at 7.30pm and then the following Wednesday June 3rd we are at home to Youghal at the same time.




The Weekly Lotto Jackpot for last Tuesday May 12th was €3200. The four numbers drawn were 1,11,16 and 21 and there was no winner. The winners of €30 were  Mai O Connell, Clykeel, Tom Murphy, Bartlemy,  Fintan Lawlor, Monanig, Barrie Graham, Monanig, Padraig Murphy, Raheen. Tickets for the Lotto are just €2 each and can be bought locally in shops and business premises and from Club Members. Tickets can also be purchased online at



The Hurling team of Bishop O Brien NS Bartlemy will contest their Section Final of the County Sciath na Scoil competition on next Tuesday May 26th. Bartlemy will meet Aghabullogue in the Nemo Rangers ground at 1 15. Having won their football competition last autumn we wish the team and mentors all the very best.


Game in Pairc Ui Rinn.

Next Sunday in our grounds Castlemartyr clash with Kildorrerry in the first round of the Intermediate Hurling championship. The game is timed for 3 o clock and all members are asked to be at the pitch by 2 o clock.  



Well done to Ballyhea club of Jack Russell on their SHC win over Blackrock and also to Castlelyons on their PIHC Victory over Kanturk.


We are still collecting scrap metal for ongoing fundraising for the Club. Nothing is too small and nothing is too large, just ring 087 9538077. 


Club Sponsors.

The Bride Rovers GAA Club are proud to have Rathcormac Tyres, O Coileáns Bar and Veolia Environmental Services as our valued Club Sponsors.