Russell Rovers News

18 May, 2015

Aghada 2-14 Russell Rovers 3-12

Following a set-back in our last game against Dungourney, our Division 3 hurlers got their league campaign back on track in Rostellan on Monday night, 11th May, when they had a one-point win over the home side in a sporting but competitive game of hurling.

We struggled to cobble a team together with a big number of absentees being the order of the day but despite our limitations the lads went out and gave it their all from the throw-in to the final whistle.

In a tit-for-tat opening half in which the lead changed hands several times, we opened our scoring with a goal in the 6th minute when a speculative shot from Colman Quinlan found its way to the Aghada net. In the 15th minute a goal-bound shot from Philip White was finished to the net by veteran Donal Fitzgerald and then on the stroke of half-time another speculative delivery from Alan Cott also ended up in the net to turn a two points deficit into a one-point lead at the break (3-4 to 2-6) with Joe O’Flynn (0-2f) Colman Quinlan and Shane O’Neill raising the white flags.

On the resumption of play the men in green began to turn the screw with four unanswered points in a six minute spell before Colman Quinlan halted the slide with his second point in the 40th min with Pa Crowley providing the pass and Joe O’Flynn continued to punish Aghada’s indiscretions with clinical accuracy from placed balls.

Aghada went two points ahead with five minutes remaining on the clock and the game appeared to be slipping away from Rovers but O’Flynn had other ideas. In the 27th min he split the posts with a free from a very tight angle out on the right-hand sideline and then added a great point from play two minutes later to level the match. With the Rovers sideline urging the referee to blow the full-time whistle, defender Kevin Ivers powered forward and slotted over the winning point in injury time to claim an unlikely victory.

While everyone played their part in this win, mention must be made of young Shane O’Neill who belied his age in his midfield role where he hurled a lot of ball and showed he wasn’t afraid to mix it when needed.

Note: A word of thanks to the Aghada player-manager Anthony Connolly who sportingly loaned his helmet to one of our players who had mislaid his headgear.

Team: Eoin Ivers; Kevin Ivers (0-1), Shane Casey, James Moynihan; Aidan Beausang, Anthony Archer, Seamus Kearney; Joe O’Flynn (0-8), Shane O’Neill (0-1), Philip White, Colman Quinlan (1-2), Alan Cott (1-0), Donal Fitzgerald (1-0), Pa Crowley, Brendan Kearney. Sub: Chris Scanlon for Donal Fitzgerald {h/t}.


Russell Rovers 2-16 Carraig na bhFear 3-13

It was a tale of two halves in Shanagarry last Saturday evening as we welcomed Carraig na bhFear for the 4th Round of the Junior Hurling league, Division 1. With an excellent playing surface the spectators were treated to an entertaining hour of hurling action. Rovers were first out of the blocks with a point from play by Kieran Walsh to which Carraig na bhFear replied with 2 points before Joe O’Flynn pointed from a free. Carraig got in for their first goal in the 7th min followed by a point which was answered by a well-worked point from John Paul Ivers. Then came a real sucker punch when Carraig pounced for two goals and a point in quick succession to leave Rovers trailing by 10 points after 15 mins of play. Pa Crowley fired home a goal from close range to briefly

reduce the arrears but Carraig continued to pile on the scores, mainly from frees, to extend their lead back to 10 points at the interval, 3-10 to 1-6, with Rovers other points coming from a trade mark effort by Kevin O’Brien and two well-taken points by John Paul Ivers and Kevin Tattan.

Rovers had wind advantage in the second half and straight away a noticeable improvement on the first half display was evident which suggested they weren’t ready to throw in the towel just yet. Colman Quinlan caught a ball out on the wing, sold his man a dummy and split the posts after just a minute. Carraig hit back with three white flags in the next few minutes to put them 12 points ahead and it looked like “game over” but amazingly they would not score again for the remainder of the game with great credit to our defence for putting the shackles on their attack. Joe O’Flynn pointed another free shortly after which was closely followed by a fine strike from distance by Kieran Walsh. Rovers then introduced subs Ian Smiddy and Eoin McGrath. Smiddy took over the free-taking duties and immediately slotted over his first point followed by another from JP Ivers. With 18 minutes to go and 8 points adrift, Rovers needed a miracle to pull this one out of the fire but they kept battling away and when Kevin Tattan pounced for our second goal a glimmer of hope appeared. Three converted frees by Smiddy, a second point from Quinlan and a beauty by Tattan from away out on the left-hand sideline put the game in the melting pot with the sides now level approaching the full-time whistle. Though Carraig appeared to be out on their feet at this stage, Rovers could not find the winning score and squandered a couple of gilt-edged chances in the dying minutes. All in all, a draw was perhaps the fairest outcome. Rovers had some good performances on the night. Dave Whelehan in goal made some vital saves, Dan Moynihan hurled a lot of ball while Derek Crowley put in a Trojan effort over the hour. Team: David Whelehan; James Ahern, Kevin Ivers, Andrew McMahon; Paul Lane, Daniel Moynihan, James Kennefick; John Paul Ivers (0-3), Joe O’Flynn (0-2); Kieran Walsh (0-2), Derek Crowley, Colman Quinlan (0-2); Kevin Tattan (1-2), Pa Crowley (1-0), Kevin O’Brien (0-1). Subs: Ian Smiddy (0-4), Eoin McGrath, Aidan Beausang, Shane Casey, Anthony Archer, Eoin Ivers, Daire Healy, Kieran Ivers.

Night at the Dogs Russell Rovers Annual Night at the Dogs takes place this coming Friday in Youghal Greyhound Stadium. First race is off at 8pm. Tickets can be purchased from Seamus Kearney 086-3067713

Upcoming Fixtures: JHL Div 1: Away to Dungourney next Sunday 24th May at 11 am. JHL Div 1: Away to Lisgoold, Friday 29th May at 7.30 pm. Please check locally for any changes.