Russell Rovers News

12 May, 2015

Russell Rovers 0-12 Dungourney 3-14

After a good start to our League campaign with two wins, our Division 3 hurlers were brought back down to earth when they were decisively defeated by a slicker Dungourney side in Shanagarry last Wednesday evening (6th May).

Despite having to line out minus the services of at least nine eligible players for various reasons, we managed to hold a one point lead after 20 minutes of play, though it must be said we had the advantage of a stiff breeze blowing into the roadside goal. Then, disaster struck when we conceded three points and a goal of the soft variety all in the space of 4 minutes while we could only tag on just one more point to leave the half-time score reading 2-6 to 0-8 which is not an insurmountable lead in hurling.

As we turned to face the wind, things got worse when we conceded another soft goal in the 33rd minute along with a few points. By the end of the third quarter we found ourselves 9 points in arrears and it was now a case of damage limitation with the Duns extending their lead to 11 points by the final whistle.

Impeccable free-taking in tricky wind conditions by Joe O’Flynn (0-5 plus 0-1 from play) and 0-4 from the stick of Alan Cott helped to keep our side of the scoreboard ticking over, along with a point each from Shane O’Neill and Colman Quinlan.

Indeed, Cott was unlucky not to have goaled on two occasions, first when one his points barely flew over the crossbar and later when he forced a double save from the Dungourney keeper. Also, Kieran Ivers was adamant that he had the ball over the goal line in the second half but it wasn’t given.

Heads shouldn’t drop because of this defeat as this was a very strong Dungourney side, coupled with Rovers having to line out with a weakened team.

Team: Chris Scanlon; Aidan Beausang, Shane Casey, James Moynihan; Seamus Kearney, Anthony Archer, Luke O’Riordan; Brian Crowley, Joe O’Flynn; Kieran Ivers, Pa Crowley, Alan Cott; Shane O’Neill, Colman Quinlan, Philip White.

Subs: David Whelehan, Brendan Kearney, Ricky Walsh (all used).

St Catherines 2-15 Russell Rovers 1-13

Our Division 1 hurlers were in action last Saturday evening when they travelled to Ballynoe to play St Catherines in Round 3 of the JHL league.

This was always going to be a tough assignment with our opponents back in Junior ranks after soldiering at Senior and Intermediate level for more than 30 years.

Playing into the breeze in the opening half, we began well with our defence on top but as the game progressed the home side began to assert control and lead by 1-10 to 0-6 at the break.

With the breeze to our backs in the second half, we fought back to within a point following a goal by substitute Colman Quinlan with less than 10 minutes left on the clock but the Cats responded immediately with their second goal to quell any hope we held for a shock result which could have been on the cards were it not for too many misplaced balls and a better return from frees. Also, Kieran Walsh was unlucky not to have goaled on two occasions, one in each half, which on another day might have gone in

With five minors lining out, all of whom acquitted themselves well, overall this was an encouraging performance for the remainder of the league campaign.
Team: David Whelehan; James Ahern, Kevin Ivers, Eoin McGrath; Paul Lane, Daniel Moynihan (0-1), James Kennefick; John Paul Ivers (0-1), Chris Ruddy; Kevin Moynihan (0-6), Derek Crowley (0-1), Kieran Walsh (0-2); Daire Healy, Jack McGrath (0-2) Ian Smiddy.
Subs: Colman Quinlan (1-0), Aidan Beausang, Andrew McMahon, Kieran Ivers (all used), Joseph O’Flynn, Anthony Archer.

JHL Div 3:  v Aghada tonight Monday, 11th May at 7.30 pm in Rostellan.
JHL Div 1:  v Carraig na bhFear next Saturday 16th May at 7.15 pm in Shanagarry.
JHL Div 1:  v Dungourney, Sunday 24th May at 11 am in Dungourney.
JHL Div 1:  v Lisgoold, Saturday 30th  May at 7.30 pm in Lisgoold.