St. Catherines GAA Club News

18 September, 2014

St. Catherines GAA
Club lotto jackpot now €16,400
Be it punts or pence, euro or cent, St Catherines have now attained the highest weekly jackpot in the nineteen and a half year history of the lotto draw. Now standing at €16,400. Results from the most recent draw held at The Winner’s Enclosure, Conna on Monday night last, September 15. Numbers drawn were 1, 8, 21 and 29 and there was no winner of the €16,200 jackpot. Consolation winners being: Ronan and Sophie O’Flynn, Longueville, Ballynoe; Mary Ahern, c/o Mc’S; Noreen Fitzgerald, c/o The Big Tree, Aghern; Matt Twomey, Knockmourne, Conna and Wm O’Keeffe, Rathdrum, Ballynoe. Next week’s draw with a new record accumulated jackpot will take place at The Plough Bar, Curraglass on Monday night, September 22.
Intermediate hurling relegation play off final
Dripsey 3-10
St Catherines 2-11
So a thirty one year sojourn with two intermediate titles claimed and a last eight place secured on four occasions at senior ranks among the highlights has now been terminated. Sadly St Catherines won’t have their name in the hat at convention re county championship draws and will now be taking their fixtures at divisional level. That is the major implication of a narrow two point loss to Dripsey in this intermediate hurling relegation play off final when played in balmy summer conditions at Riverstown, home of Sarsfields GAA Club on Saturday evening last.
A defeat of this magnitude almost makes the facts and figures of the game and how the scores evolved seem irrelevant. It’s all about the end result. Even though the Saints made a terrific start. Couldn’t have asked for better. Cal Aherne pointing a free for the lead score on fifty seconds. Following solid Ronan Clancy play, lining out at centreback with Liam O’Connor on the right wing, it was Daniel Mangan from full forward who weaved his way through. Finishing off a well taken and psycologically crucial goal on two minutes. Mangan added a brace of unanswered points and after thirteen minutes of play no doubt the Saints were sitting pretty and ahead on a healthy score of 1-4 without reply.
Michael O’Riordan went for it. Saw his effort cut out by Stephen O’Brien. But David O’Sullivan following up drilled the sliotar to the net. William Walsh and Cal Aherne combined before Brian Mulcahy popped over probably Catherines best point of the contest. A score which would make it 1-5 to 1-2. But there was a noticeable shift in power with the concession of the Dripsey goal on seventeen minutes. All the good early work undone when Gary Murphy polished off a softish goal just over five minutes later and although the Saints would play out the second half with a strong breeze to their backs it was clear Dripsey despite their poor start were now in the ascendency and were ahead on a half-time scoreline of 2-6 to 1-5.
O’Sullivan again with his second and Dripsey’s third goal four minutes into the second half proved a real body blow. Diarmuid O’Riordan, one of the players central to the creation of the club in the first place was by and large accurate from placed balls and with the physically imposing Conor Hayes, John Carey and Mark O’Sullivan playing prominent roles Dripsey were still in a strong position. Now ahead at 3-8 to 1-9 to forty two minutes.
It was a real stop start second half. Play held up twice with lengthy stoppages following injuries picked up by opposition players. No rhythm could be created. With no score for either team until substitute Seanie O’Farrell bravely plucked the sliotar out of the blue skies, turned and provided the Saints with renewed hope and vigour. Booting in a goal which reduced the margin to just three points at 3-9 to 2-9 to fifty five minutes. Again O’Riordan from a free stretched it to four and although Matthew Mulcahy pointed a well taken score in injury time, fully warranted following the stoppages, it clearly wasn’t enough. The gutwrenching pain of defeat and relegation was about to take hold.
Dripsey scorers: D O’Riordan (0-6 frees) (0-7), D O’Sullivan (2-0), G Murphy (1-2)  and A Murray (0-1).
St Catherines scorers: D Mangan (0-4 frees) (1-7), S O’Farrell (1-0), B Mulcahy (0-2), M Mulcahy and C Aherne (free) (0-1 each).
St Catherines team: Edmond Aherne, Stephen O’Brien, Ed Kenneally, James Neville, Liam O’Connor (joint captain), Ronan Clancy, Conor Kearney, Cal Aherne, Shane Cotter (joint captain), Matthew Mulcahy, Brian Mulcahy, Padraig O’Connor, Shane Kearney, Daniel Mangan, William Walsh. Subs: Seanie O’Farrell for Padraig O’Connor (second half), Eoin Condon for Ed Kenneally (40’), Brian Davis for William Walsh (43’). Also on panel: Cathal Leahy, John Mulcahy, John Casey, Johnny Hurley, Colm Ahern, Conor Hegarty, Stephen O’Donnell, Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy, Patrick Roche and Kevin Dinneen. Referee: Anthony Cummins (Ballymartle).
Focus back on the juveniles
Attention now once again reverts to the juveniles with two major championship matches down for decision this upcoming weekend. First up on Saturday evening is the meeting with northern representatives Ballygiblin in the Rebel Óg county U14 B hurling championship semi-final. This team were going along nicely. Recorded well earned and deserved back to back championship wins over Passage and Tracton in turn. But came up against a class act in Watergrasshill in the eastern final. Stats clearly show the ‘Hill’ to be the form team in this particular grade in the county this year. Remember they were crowned county Féile B champions and represented Cork with distinction in the national finals up north. They only lost out by a point to O’Donovan Rossa in the All-Ireland final itself. They will also play Tracton in the Rebel Óg East U14 B hurling league final.
Consolation of sorts from losing that divisional final is a place in the county semi-final. Time and venue to follow. County secretary Jim Healy informs us it may well form part of a double header.
Unfortunately, this year’s Rebel Óg East U16 A hurling championship degenerated into mear farce. St Catherines started off with a win over Sliabh Rua (Belgooly and Riverstick-Ballymartle) and followed up by beating Kiltha Óg (Castlemartyr and Dungourney). Suddenly they all seem so long ago now!!!!! All around us problems were manifesting themselves which saw the ties involving St Vincents and Valley Rovers and again Inniscarra and Glen Rovers held up for a variety of reasons. Ok both matches were played with the problems surfacing during or after being played!!! You catch the drift?!!!!! Clearly the Saints side of the draw was in turmoil. No action. Well it resumes this weekend with the news that the Saints take on Erins Own in the divisional semi-final. At long last!!!!!
September 20
Rebel Óg County U14 B hurling championship semi-final v Ballygiblin. Time and venue to follow.
Sunday, September 21 at Lisgoold (prov)
Rebel Óg East U16 A hurling championship semi-final v Erins Own at 12 noon.
U11 football league - section two - round seven
St Catherines rounded off their U11 football league programme with a heavy loss to Kiltha Óg when this round seven fixture was played in Castlemartyr on Wednesday evening, September 10 last. Finishing up 6-8 to 0-2.
Scorers: H Draper and C England (0-1 each).
Team: E Philpott, F O’Connell, M Geary, B Barry, W Leamy, E O’Riordan, A O’Donnell, H Draper, B O’Connor, D Galvin, C England, C Dinneen, G Leahy.
Supervalu Shopping
Many thanks to all those who shopped in SuperValu, Midleton this summer and collected tokens for their club promotion. St Catherines juvenile section received €1,000 worth of gear for the club.
Church Gate Collection
We thank those who helped out and you the general public for your support for the annual church gate collection in aid of the juvenile club and taken up after all Masses throughout the parish last weekend.
Exam results
We congratulate those who received such excellent results in their Junior Certs.
Camogie final
A twenty-fifth title for Cork and first in five years following  a hard earned and mildly flattering six point win over pre final favourites Kilkenny in the All-Ireland senior camogie final at Croke Park on Sunday afternoon last.
Aoife Murray was assured and confident between the posts. She needed to be. Making an excellent reflex save after six minutes. But the goal threatening to come arrived just at the end of the opening quarter. Reacting quickly it was finished off by Michelle Quilty. Pushing the Cats ahead at 1-3 to 0-2 to forty six minutes. Denise Gaul adding on points from frees. But Cork did have the final score of the half with outstanding wingback Eimear O’Sullivan, surging forward to point a minute overtime. Half time it was 1-6 to 0-4 for Kilkenny.  But with wind advantage to come Cork were far from out of it and still very much in contention.
As she did in the opening seconds it was Katie Power again pointing the way for Kilkenny right on the changeover. But Cork stormed into the match. Highlight being a stunning Jennifer O’Leary goal. There was a brace of Orla Cotter points, finishing with six in all both from frees and general play. Turning it around from a five point interval deficit to a two point lead. Cut to the minimum when Gaul pointed from a placed ball from a strangely awarded Kilkenny free right at the end of the third quarter. Cork ahead at 1-9 to 1-8 and all to play for.
Briege Corkery had her second point. But an exciting contest was still very much in the melting pot. Angela Walsh’s goal in the second minute of injury time the insurance score and icing on the cake. Cork winners on an end scoreline of 2-12 to 1-9. Winning captain was Anna Geary.
A disappointing day overall for Kilkenny. Also beaten by Limerick in the intermediate final.
While a number of the successful camogie team will now line out with the Rebelettes when they play Dublin in the All-Ireland ladies football final on the weekend after next.
And finally
To wind up, team manager James Spillane confirms that St Catherines will play Ballygiblin in the Rebel Óg county U14 B hurling championship semi-final at Rathcormac on this forthcoming Saturday afternoon, September 20 at 4.30pm.