Russell Rovers GAA Club News

25 March, 2014

Russell Rovers GAA  Report
Russell Rovers 0-10  Carrignavar 1-17
This Round 2 Avondhu / Imokilly Hurling League tie resulted in a comprehensive a defeat for the Rovers at Carrignavar on Sunday morning last. Buoyed by their last gasp victory the previous week Rovers might have had ideas of a second major scalp in the competition. But, despite getting an early lead courtesy of an Ian Smiddy placed ball in the first minute, they found it hard to make headway against a determined home side. Carrignavar had three unanswered points –two from play- inside the opening five minutes. Rovers had their best period of play over the following 10 minutes. First, Kevin O’Brien  struck a sweet point from deep in the left corner after picking up on a well measured crossfield pass from Brian Whelehan. This was followed by a Kieran Walsh run which resulted in his first score of the day to level matters. Then Ian Smiddy put us back in the lead with a second converted free on the quarter hour mark. While we had many chances, our forward play was a bit too tentative for the rest of the half with players trying to work the ball too close to goal and  giving an extra pass when more long distance shots might have done the trick. Carrig were back level from a free in the 19th minute, had pulled a point ahead by the 23rd and got two more from play towards the end of the half. The signs were looking ominous, but a pointed free from Smiddy on the stroke of half time left only two between the sides at the break ( 0-5 to 0-7), Rovers having played against a slightly diagonal breeze in the first half.
Carrig owned the third quarter, knocking over a further 5 points without reply by the 40th minute and only a good reflex action by Joseph Walsh saved a sure fire goal during this period. Matters were not helped by the forced departure of Mattie Fitzgerald and Kevin O’Brien, even though substitutes Anthony Archer and Aidan Beausang did well. Kieran Walsh pulled one back for the Rovers in the 42nd minute but then disaster struck as a Carrignavar shot rebounded off the crossbar and fell to a forward who  struck  it off the upright before it was  finished to the net to give the home side a 9 point advantage coming into the final quarter. Three points from placed balls by Ian Smiddy as well as a point from substitute Jack McGrath completed our tally in a disappointing display. The heavy ground conditions made it difficult at times for both sides with many tussles ending with throw- ins in a game well handled by referee Brian Murphy from Carrigtwohill.
Team: Joseph Walsh, Kevin Ivers, Mattie Fitzgerald, David Whelehan, Ricky Walsh, John Paul Ivers, Barry Fitzgerald, Kieran Walsh, Ian Smiddy, Daniel O’Brien, Paul Lane, James Kennefick, Brian Whelehan, Derek Crowley,  Kevin O’Brien.  Subs used: Anthony Archer, Aidan Beausang, Jack McGrath, Brian Crowley.
Forthcoming Fixtures
The hurlers have their first home  League game on Sunday next 30th March against Cobh at 3pm in Shanagarry while our Junior Footballers travel to  play Glanmire in Sallybrook ( Pike Field ) on Wednesday 26th at 7.30pm.
The Club wishes all the best to Midleton CBS Dean Ryan winning team  in the All Ireland Under 16 and a half Final next Saturday