Aghada GAA Club News

20 January, 2014

8/5/94 S F C AGHADA 1-12 BANTRY 3-8

AFTER a lapse of eight years, Bantry are back in the spotlight of the Cork County senior football championship when at sun-kissed Innishannon on Sunday last, the intermediate champions of 93 scored a hard-earned victory over Aghada, and in the process set themselves up for a mouth-watering clash against the winners of Beara and O’Donovan Rossa.
The Innishannon grounds was in Tiptop condition for this exhilarating contest which threatened to ignite towards the end as both sides became, a little over zealous in their hid for Victory.
Despite the fact that two players from each side were booked and Bantry’s midfielder Sean O’ Sullivan had to depart the scene with a suspected fractured jaw, good sense did eventually prevail and at the end the west Cork team just about deserved to advance against an Aghada side which battled with commitment and spirit to the end.
Against the breeze the East Cork men, with Conor Counihan playing a roving role, shot into. A 1-I to 0-1 lead after six minutes when their scorer in chief, Richie Lewis shot a splendid fourth minute goal when following a good run up the right flank by Sean O ‘Keeffe. Full forward Dave Creedon laid on a peach of a pass for the elusive Aghada attacker and his shot gave keeper Des McAuley no chance
however, with the strong running Michael Moran on the left flank of the Bantry attack creating all kinds of problems for the Aghada defence, and the West Cork lads fast reactions to poor k kick-outs by keeper Ger Looney, they soon meted out the punishment with points from Ger Barry and Kevin Harrington in the 11th minute to reduce the deficit to the minimum.
Then In the 14th minute, Bantry’s Damien O’Neill delivered a long ball from midfield and in a twinkle corner forward Jeremy Cotter beat hesitant keeper Ger Looney to the hop and punch to the net and thus gave his side a timely boost
One minute later the same player added a point when he raced behind a shaky Aghada fullback line, to shoot from close range with a goal at his mercy. At this stage the losers looked like they would capitulate, when winger Moran added another to make 1-5 to 1-1 at the 17th minute.
Displaying tremendous grit, together with a fast free flowing style of  football , the men from Aghada led by the outstanding Richie Lewis (who was proving more than just a handful for Mark OConnor)and together with Counihan in the role of General, with able allies in Aidan Berry, Ronan Dwane and Sean O’Keeffe . they produced a rousing rally in the last ten minutes of the half. Lewis landing four frees while O’Keeffe swung a sweet score from an acute angle on the left wing to sent their side into half time lead 1-6 to 1-5. indeed only for the alertness of cork minor keeper McAuley in the 26th m when he saved and cleared a powerful first time shot from Bernard Tynan the west cork men’s second half task would be a lot harder. 
Following the change over mark O’Connor was switched to full back with Pádraig O’Regan moving to centre forward and Tim O’Mahony to Midfield Harrington had kicked wide from close-in early on. Michael Moran worked his way strongly from midfield to kick over a great, left legged equaliser in the 33rd minute.
Points by Aghada’s Dave Creedon and a might effort by Lewis, 20m out on the left wing. Together with a Liam O’Brien 13m, conversion. Still saw the Imokilly side one point in front at the 40th minute and after Tynan had fluffed another point chance when he over carried only to be dispossessed .After which Lewis missed for once. Bantry bounced back in the person of their hero of the hour Jeremy Cotter, when he again ran on to a long ball form O’Neill and rattler the net for the lead again. Aghada were far from finished a point from Lewis followed a Counihan point that had goal written all over it only for McAuley to tip it over the bar. This left the sides level again. From the kick out Bantry won a penalty and Kevin Harrington made no mistake. The last ten minutes produced a welter of excitement and as tempers became over heated three more players were booked. Jim Motherway landed a 45 to narrow the gap.  Bantry replied from the boot of Harrington to put three between them again. Counihan mounted a last attack as he soled deep into the Bantry  half only to force an 45 which Aidan Berry pointed. Aghada made one last effort and Lewis sent a screamer across the face of the goals but to no avail. Team Ger Looney, Pa Sisk, Alan Devoy, Jim Motherway (0-1), Ken O’Keeffe, Conor Counihan (0-1), Aidan Berry (0-1), Ronan Dwane, Martin Hennessy, Richie Lewis (1-7)Bernard Tynan, Sean O’Keeffe(0-1), Mickie Lewis, Dave Creedon (0-1), Mark Crowley, subs John Murphy for Tynan, Donal Walsh for Sisk