Castlemartyr GAA Club News

30 October, 2013

Castlemartyr GAA Notes

Club Sponsor: Pat Shortts Bar

Junior A hurling county semi-final

Castlemartyr 0-14 Kilbrin 0-14

It was a case of late late drama in Pairc Ui Rinn as Castlemartyr live to
fight another day after an injury time point from Barra O’Tuama ensured
that we stayed in the county championship. Having been five points down at
half time it looked as if it was going to be Kilbrin’s night, but our lads
showed great character with a much improved second half performance.
Castlemartyr never led at any point in the game so will definitely be the
happier of the two teams with the result.

Kilbrin got off to a great start scoring three points before we registered
our first score through Evan O’Keeffe. Kilbrin always looked dangerous in
attack and with the underfoot conditions very greasy there was plenty of
mistakes from both sides. After twenty minutes Kilbrin led by eight points
to five with Jimmy Smiddy scoring a couple of frees as well as a point from
play with Brian Lawton also raising a white flag. Kilbrin then scored four
points without reply to put them six ahead. Seanie Hennessey stopped the
rot with a point from play before Kinbrin pointed a free. The last score of
the half came from Eddie Clifford which meant we went in at half time
trailing by five points.

This game was a game of two halves and it was Castlemartyr who dominated
the second half and held Kilbrin to just two points. Eddie Clifford scored
his second point of the night and a Jimmy Smiddy 65 reduced the deficit to
three points. A Kilbrin pointed free extended their lead again but
Castlemartyr then came storming into the game. Another Jimmy Smiddy free as
well as one from play got the Castlemartyr crowd excited and when
substitute Jamie Stack scored a great point under pressure there was just
one between the sides. Brian Lawton then played a lovely one-two with Barra
O’Tuama and split the posts to level the game with nine minutes remaining.
At this point the game was there for both teams and on the 56th minute it
looked as if it was Kilbrin who were going to win it as they pointed to go
one point up with time running out for Castlemartyr. In the next six
minutes of playing time we had a number of chances to draw the game. We
were awarded two long range frees which we didn’t convert as well as a
great chance from play which Eddie Clifford put narrowly wide. However,
when Jimmy Smiddy pounced on a loose ball two minutes into injury time and
hand passed to the unmarked Barra O’Tuama 40 yards out this was definitely
our last chance. Thankfully Barra took this chance and we live to fight
another day.

While we played poor for periods of the game, we showed great character in
the second half after being five points down. The backs only conceded one
score from play in this half with Brian Smiddy playing a very solid game.
Up front Jimmy Smiddy had his best game of the year and Eddie Clifford kept
up his good form from the East Cork Final. Kilbrin showed they are a
quality team and play intelligent hurling we so will need a better overall
performance next day out if we are to reach the final where Greangh await
the winners.

Team: E McGovern, Brian O’Tuama, R O’Donovan, O Smiddy, D O’Tuama, B
Smiddy, A Bowens, P Horgan, B O’Tuama(0-01), B Lawton(0-02), S
Hennessey(0-01), J Smiddy(0-05, 0-03f), E Clifford(0-02), E O’Keeffe, L
Martin. Sub Used: J Stack(0-01)

County JAHC Semi-Final Replay: Castlemartyr v Kilbrin, Sunday November
3rd at 7pm in Páirc uí Rinn