Killeagh GAA Club News

21 October, 2013



NEWSLETTER FOR W/C October 21st 2013 .
Killeagh GAA Club would like to congratulate junior football manager Declan Fogarty, his backroom team and the entire panel for this year’s East Cork Junior Football Championship. In winning the Michael O’Connor sponsored East Cork Junior Football final in Rathcormac on Saturday last, they have achieved a remarkable three-in-a-row in this competition. On behalf of the wider Killeagh community we say well done to all involved in bringing the Jim Ryan Cup back to Killeagh and we wish them continued success in the Cork County stages of the junior football championship in the coming weeks.
Killeagh GAA Club would also like to congratulate Damien Irwin on his recent appointment as a selector to the Cork U21 hurling team and wish him all the best for the forthcoming 2014 season.
Club Lotto Results;
The latest club lotto numbers were drawn on Tuesday October 15th.
Numbers drawn were 1, 7, 11and 20.
There was no winner of this week’s €2600 jackpot. €30 each goes to Eoghan Keniry, Kathleen Walsh, Dolly O’Donovan and Junior Scully.
The jackpot for next draw on Oct 22nd will be €2800.
The Club Lotto Draw takes place each Tuesday night and many thanks to all for supporting our club lotto.
Club Shop;
KILLEAGH GAA SHOP SALE for "One Night Only" on Wednesday 23rd of October at 7.30pm in the Clubhouse. Pay a visit to the shop on Wednesday night to pick up a bargain and support your club. Great reductions on selected items for all ages including:
White collar jerseys -€20
Killeagh/Itas beanie hats -€5
Killeagh Itas green Hoodies €10
Old style navy Hoodies €25
Troy white polo shirts, medium-€20
Troy green polo shirts- medium -€20
Selected Hoodies €25
Windcheaters all sizes-€25
And many more items on the night......
Junior ‘A’ Football Final Replay: Glenbower Rovers 2-09 Lisgoold 1-07
Junior ‘A’ Football Final Replay: Glenbower Rovers 2-09 Lisgoold 1-07
This eagerly awaited replay got underway at 1.30pm on Saturday October 19th in front of a good crowd at Rathcormac. Lisgoold lined out with the same personnel as the drawn game whereas Glenbower were forced into some changes to their starting fifteen. When referee John Buckley got the game going it was Glenbower who got the first score with a point from Joe Deane after three minutes. Kieran Lane was next on the scoreboard with a point to give Glenbower a two point lead after five minutes. Lisgoold eventually got on the scoreboard as John Cashman pointed a free after seven minutes. Glenbower were awarded a penalty after ten minutes when Seamie Harnedy, who was a thorn in the side of Lisgoold defence, was brought down in the square. But, unfortunately for the Killeagh men, Kieran Lane was unable to convert the kick. Lisgoold then started to get a grip on the game and scored a fortuitous goal after thirteen minutes and added points from play on nineteen, twenty and twenty-three minutes where Glenbower scored a solitary but brilliant point through Kieran Lane. Cashman added another point from a free in injury time of the first half before referee Buckley called a halt to the proceedings with the scores at Glenbower 0-03 to Lisgoold 1-05.
The Glenbower management made a few changes on the field for the second half and from the restart, Seamie Harnedy continued to trouble the Lisgoold side. He scored a fabulous goal and an equally fabulous point, both from play, inside the first two minutes. Kieran Lane brought the scores level on ten minutes from a free after Joe Deane was taken down in full flight. Despite the stop/start nature of the game through heavy tackling and injuries, Glenbower were now playing very well and were in control of the game playing against the strong wind. Kieran Lane regained the lead for Glenbower when he pointed a free on seventeen minutes but it was short-lived as Lisgoold drew level on eighteen minutes. On twenty minutes Sean Long had the ball in the net when he latched onto a Steven Murphy high ball to put Glenbower back in front by a goal. Kieran Lane then scored a beautiful point from a free way out on the side and following a poor kick-out by the Lisgoold keeper, Stephen Murphy took advantage and scored a point to put Glenbower further ahead by a goal and two points on twenty five minutes. Lisgoold scored an academic point on thirty one minutes for only their second score of the half. After good play by the Rovers defence, Sean Long was through on the Lisgoold goal and laid off a pass to Joe Deane for him to score a point on thirty six minutes.  This turned out to be the final score of the game and Glenbower Rovers were crowned East Cork champions for the third time in a row. The game was thoroughly enjoyable and was a fantastic improvement on the drawn game by both sets of players. Key to Glenbower’s victory was the positional changes by the management team especially moving out Seamie Harnedy at the start of the second half.  Glenbower Rovers as a team played very well through all positions and remained calm when under pressure especially in the first half when the game appeared to be going away from them. Kieran Lane again stood out and despite missing an earlier penalty kick, he went on to get some crucial scores both from play and from the placed ball, Seamie Harnedy was a danger throughout and contributed an impressive 1-01 from play, also Shay Lyons played a major part when coming on as a substitute after twenty minutes. Glenbower Rovers now go into a Cork County quarter-final match against Belgooly on Thursday night in Pairc Ui Rinn with a 7.30pm throw-in.
Team: S Scully, T Murphy, P McGrath, A Keniry, C Murphy, B Collins, J Dullea, C Fogarty, K Lane, C O’Brien, S Murphy, M Murphy, J Deane, S Harnedy, J O’Connor.
Subs: C Crowley, S Lyons, S Long, Eoghan Keniry, Tadgh O’Connor, David Cahill, David O’Keeffe, Darragh Cahill, Patrick O’Brien, Kevin Lane, Shane Smiddy, Declan Long, B Barry, Padraig McCarthy.
Manager and Selectors: Declan Fogarty, Denis Barry, Sean Harnedy and Eric McCarthy. 
Championship Draws:
Cork County Junior Football Championship:
Glenbower Rovers v Belgooly in Pairc Ui Rinn on Thursday October 24th at 19.30
East Cork Draws:
Junior ‘B’ Hurling- Eamonn Fleming Cup: Killeagh through to quarter-final of this competition.
Junior ‘B’ Football- Michael Boig Coleman Cup: Glenbower Rovers are through to the next round, awaiting results of losers round for next opponents.
Killeagh GAA Diary Dates:
Following are details of two important dates for diary:
This years Dinner Dance will take place on Saturday November 30th and will be held in the Garryvoe Hotel. More information to follow in the forthcoming weeks.
Our AGM will take place in our GAA complex on Monday December 2nd and will commence at 7.30pm sharp.
Killeagh GAA Golf Society;
President: Mr. Kieran Scully, Captain: Mr. Ray Rochford, Secretary: Mr. Ger Ahern.
This years’ Presidents Prize, kindly presented by Mr. Kieran Scully, will take place on October 26th at the Gold Coast Golf Course in Dungarvan. Cost of golf and dinner at the Gold Coast on the day is €35 and the cost of golf and dinner for juveniles is only €30. Tee-times are from 11.40am to 1.10pm and guests are welcome. Further details and booking of tee-times are available from this years Captain, Ray Rochford on 0872330054.
Killeagh-Ita’s 3-7, Ballinora 5-6
The half-time break in this strange game lasted for just eight minutes. Unfortunately, our team took another eight minutes to realise that the second-half had started, in which time Ballinora scored 4 goals and a point without reply. This ultimately was the difference between the two teams in a game that was otherwise very evenly contested. Ballinora got the opening point after ten seconds of play, and added a second after ten minutes. Our boys then took over and scored the next four points, between the fourteenth and twent-fourth minute, three from Aaron Walsh, and one from Keane Budds. However, a point followed by a goal in the 29th minute gave Ballinora a 1-3 to 0-4 lead when reiteoir Michael Walsh blew the whistle for half-time. The madness of the start of the second half left the scoreline very one-sided at 5-4 to 0-4 after 38 minutes and the game looked to be done and dusted. However, our lads kept battling and were rewarded with fine points from Jack O’Rourke and David Ogbebor, and a good goal from Aaron Walsh who lobbed the keeper. Two points from Ballinora stretched their lead once again, 5-6 to 1-6 with five minutes left. Another point from Jack followed by two goals from Emmet Barron and David reduced the deficit to five points and another goal almost came, but the clock beat us and Ballinora held out for a five point win. This game completes the Under 15 season for 2013, and also wraps up all our under-age championship activity for 2013.
Team: Luke Fogarty, Shane Kearney, Fergal Smiddy, Jamie Clifford, Christy Coughlan, Kevin Murphy, Eoin Fitzgibbon, Cathal Deane, Emmet Barron (1-0), Keane Budds (0-1), Jack O’Rourke (0-2), David Ogbebor (1-1), Aaron Walsh (1-3), Killian Treacy, Jamie Landers. Subs used: Fionn McDonnell, Dylan Hogan.
It wasn’t an 82,000 crowd, and we didn’t have the Uachtaráin Michael D. or Liam O’Neill, but the intensity, the excitement and the skills were a sight to behold in our own ‘little-All-Ireland’ in Páirc Uí Chinnéide on Saturday morning last. Friday’s heavy rain had abated and we got going, the Blues playing Greens and Reds playing Yellows in the two semi-finals. The Blues were short in numbers but not in spirit as they battled bravely against the Greens. Robert Sinclair was in great goal-scoring form up front, while Danny Cunningham and Paul Delaney were very impressive in defence and midfield. But the Greens had their own heroes in Robbie Treacy, Oisin McCarthy and Ciaran O’Rourke, and at the final whistle, they were victorious by 9-5 to 5-0. In the other semi-final, scores were much harder to come by, and the wind played a crucial role. The Yellows were dominant in the first half and led by 0-3 to 0-1 at half time, with Dara Motherway and Richie Landers leading the way. In the second half the Reds came roaring back, and aided by the wind, they scored 2-2 and kept the Yellows scoreless to qualify for the A Final. Cian McDonald played a captain’s part, banging in the goals, but the highlight was surely Ben O’Connor’s wonderful sideline cut from 40 metres out which sailed over the bar, adding to his beautiful point from the opposite sideline in the first half. The Yellows were unlucky that a number of their attempts at scores went barely wide, while they also found cúl báire Paul Kent in unbeatable form in the Red goal. 2-3 to 0-3 was the final score, ensuring Cian’s Red Team qualified for the A Final.

The B Final was another exciting battle, with the Blues gaining an early advantage, but the Yellows came back with a goal from Daniel Doherty. With just three minutes to go, the Yellows went in to a one-point lead, but then a point from Robert and a goal from Darragh Coleman gave the Blue team a victory against the odds, given their numerical inferiority. Final score here was 3-1 to 1-4 in favour of An Fhoireann Gorm.  The A Final was very even initially, but the Red Team then got a couple of quick goals to lead by 4-0 to 1-1 at half time. They consolidated this lead in the second half, despite the best efforts of Olan Broderick, Cathal Fitzgibbon, David Kelly and Karl O’Toole, and ran out deserving winners on a scoreline of 5-3 to 2-2. Ryan McCarthy, Colm Landers and Ben O’Connor hurled an amount of ball, but it was in defence where the Reds won this game, with Daniel Lucey, George Sinclair and goalkeeper Paul Kent all playing magnificently.

Well done to everyone for greeat heart, commitment and sportsmanship in the ten games played in the last 3 weeks – the Parish Leagues are truly a wonderful opportunity for players to work on developing their hurling skills, leadership skills, and teamwork skills. Coach Mikey Fitzgerald presented the B Final trophy to captain Robert Sinclair, while an bainsteoir eile John Irwin presented the prestigious Lagile Trophy (in better condition this year than last, at the ripe old age of 33 now) to captain Cian McDonald. That concludes our hurling season (apart from some floodlight games to come in the all-new all-weather pitch in Inch), and so it’s on now to our football parish leagues which start next weekend. Thanks for watching!
Red Team: Cian McDonald, Ryan McCarthy, Daniel Lucey, George Sinclair, Ben O’Connor, David Collins, Paul Kent, David Scully, Ben Jennings, Colm Treacy, Colm Landers, Jack Flanagan.
Blue Team: Robert Sinclair, Paul Delaney, Danny Cunningham, Aaron O’Connell, Darragh Coleman, Tony McCarthy, Eoin Brenner, Aaron Fitzgibbon.
Yellow Team: Richie Landers, Dara Motherway, Darragh O’Connor, Owen Cosgrove, Olan Coleman, Tommy Noonan, Christian Coughlan, Padraig Landers, Ryan Farquhar, Daniel Doherty, Padraig Mackey, Evan Lane.
Green Team: Cathal Fitzgibbon, Olan Broderick, Karl O’Toole, Oisin McCarthy, David Kelly, Robbie Treacy, Ciaran O’Rourke, Remy Bernard, Adam Danaher.