Killeagh GAA Club News

14 October, 2013



NEWSLETTER FOR W/C October 14th 2013 .
Club Lotto Results;
The latest club lotto numbers were drawn on Tuesday October 8th.
Numbers drawn were 11, 16, 25 and 27.
There was no winner of this week’s €2400 jackpot. €30 each goes to Killeagh Camogie Club, Anthony Sheehan, Pat Beecher and Martin Roche.
The jackpot for next draw on Oct 15th will be €2600.
The Club Lotto Draw takes place each Tuesday night and many thanks to all for supporting our club lotto.
Club Shop;
The Club shop is open on most Saturday mornings from 10.30am to 11.30am. Plan a visit to your club shop where you can choose from a wide selection of sports accessories in your club colours. Replica jerseys (all sizes), shorts, training clothing, etc. are available for all ages. Please support your club by purchasing from the club shop.
Cork SHC Quarter-Final, Killeagh 2-09 Sarsfields 5-12
Cork SHC Quarter-Final, Killeagh 2-09 Sarsfields 5-12
Our senior hurlers lined out against current champions Sarsfields in the curtain raiser to an eagerly awaited double-header at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Saturday October 12th 2013. Both teams enjoyed plenty of support on a very good day for hurling. While Sars started as per the programme, Killeagh made one change to their line-out, with Michael Byrne replacing Stephen Murphy. The game started at 2.15 and with their first attack of the game Sarsfields had the ball in the net inside the first minute, courtesy of full-forward Michael Cussen. Killeagh replied with a fabulous long range point from Brendan Barry. Sars then scored their first point of the day on two minutes before Kieran Lane added Killeagh’s second point from a well-taken free just inside the half-way line. Sars found the net again on five minutes, this time through Tadgh Murphy and added another point to their score on six minutes. Over the next ten minutes Sars scored one point from a ’65 whereas Killeagh scored two points from Joe Budds on eleven minutes and another great point from play, this time from Philip O’Neill. On seventeen minutes Killeagh lost the influential Brendan Barry through injury and he was replaced by Brian Collins. Shortly after this, Sars had the ball in the net for a third time through Kieran Murphy. They added another point on twenty-two minutes from a free and another point on twenty-five minutes from play. Killeagh added a superb point from play through Cian Fogarty on twenty-six minutes. Joe Deane added to Killeagh’s score on twenty eight minutes with a point from a close range free and, following the free, Eoghan Keniry had to leave the pitch injured and was replaced by David Cahill. This was the last score of the half and both teams retired to the dressing rooms with the score at Killeagh 0-06 and Sars 3-05.
When the game restarted, it was Killeagh who were first to score with a point from a Joe Deane free. Over the next fifteen minutes Sars scored a fine, one goal and four points without reply, their fourth goal coming from Michael Cussen. Killeagh added another point on seventeen minutes with a superb effort from Joe Deane but Sars had another point on nineteen points. David Cahill got on the scoreboard on twenty one minutes following good Killeagh pressure but Sars replied with a goal from a well-taken free from Cian McCarthy.  Sars then slotted over another point after twenty five minutes before Sean Long brought a loud cheer from the Killeagh supporters when he found the net on twenty seven minutes. Killeagh won a free deep in their own half following the Sars puck-out and when Kieran Lane launched the ball up to his forwards, the hard-working Andy Walsh found the net with a well taken goal for Killeagh. On twenty nine minutes Killeagh were awarded a 20 metre free but the Sars defence managed to keep out Kieran Lane’s strike and in the aftermath, Michael Byrne received his second yellow card of the game and had no choice but to leave the field. Sars completed the game with a final point from play to win the contest by 12 points on a scoreline of Killeagh 2-09 Sars 5-12.
Team: B Rochford, P McGrath, C Fogarty, P O’Brien, Cian Fogarty, B Barry, K Lane Philip O’Neill, S Long, E Keniry, P Carroll, A Walsh, J Budds, M Byrne, J Deane.
Subs: B Collins, D Cahill, S Murphy, M Murphy, S Smiddy (all used), S Scully, G Leahy, T O’Connor, J O’Connor, S Treacy, D Walsh.
Management and selectors: N O’Connor, D Treacy, K Lane, D Fogarty, L O’Reilly and D Cusack.
Killeagh GAA Club would like to thank most sincerely the efforts of senior hurling manager Noel O’Connor, his backroom team and the entire panel in this year’s Senior Hurling Championship and in the Red FM Cork Senior League. They have maintained the club’s senior status and also were the first team to reach the quarter-final stage this year. On behalf of the wider Killeagh community we say a big thank you and well done to all involved.
Championship Draws:
East Cork Draws:
Junior ‘B’ Hurling- Eamonn Fleming Cup: Killeagh through to quarter-final of this competition.
Junior ‘A’ Football Final Replay: Glenbower Rovers versus Lisgoold on Saturday October 19th at 1.30pm in Rathcormac
Junior ‘B’ Football- Michael Boig Coleman Cup: Glenbower Rovers are through to the next round, awaiting results of losers round for next opponents.
Killeagh GAA Golf Society;
President: Mr. Kieran Scully, Captain: Mr. Ray Rochford, Secretary: Mr. Ger Ahern.
This years’ Presidents Prize, kindly presented by Mr. Kieran Scully, will take place on October 26th at the Gold Coast Golf Course in Dungarvan. Cost of golf and dinner at the Gold Coast is €35. Tee-times are from 11.40am to 1.10pm and guests are welcome. Further details and booking of tee-times are available from this years Captain, Ray Rochford on 0872330054.
The curtain came down on our Under 10 season with the finals of the Under 10 Parish Leagues last Tuesday evening. The hurling finals were first, with Eoin Brenner’s Blue Team overcoming the challenge of the Green Team in the B Final, who were minus their captain Colm Treacy to win by 6-3 to 2-3. The excellent performances of Daniel Walsh and David Buttimer for the Greens were not enough to defeat the Blues, for whom Eoin was top scorer with 5-1, with Under 8’s Pearse Geary (goal) and Darragh O’Brien (point) also getting on the scoresheet. In the A Final, the Yellow Team, who had won all three games in the league, were beaten by the Orange Team by 7-4 to 4-3. This was a really exciting game, with the Orange boys getting their scores at the right time. They led by 3-3 to 2-2 at half time, with Paudie Mackey playing a captain’s role, and Colm Landers anad Colm Leahy also breaching the Yellow defence. Ben Budds, captain Jamie Fograty, Aaron Fitzgibbon and Dale McMahon were the scorers for the Yellows. In defence for the Orange Team, David Buckley was ‘rock-like’ and so our Junior A Football bainisteoir added an U-10 Hurling Parish Leagues title to his impressive CV!. Well done Declan and your team of Oranges!

And so it was on to the football. The B Final saw the Orange Team again come out on top, this time defeating the Green Team. Callum Martin White and Dylan McCarthy tried all the way for the Greens, but Paudie, the Colms and Tommy Morrison gave the Orange Team their second victory of the evening. The Blue Team took on the Yellow Team in the A Final, and both teams battled all the way to the finish. In the end, it was the scoring ability of captain Evan Lane, assisted by Eoin Brenner, Pearse and Kieran, as well as goalkeeper Rory Motherway’s fine saves, that gave the Blues victory over a gallant but unlucky Yellow Team, for whom captain Aaron Fitzgibbon, Jamie and Dale were excellent. Final score: Blues 6-6, Oranges 2-3. Well done to the Blues and to their bainisteoir Kieran O’Brien, comiserations to the Yellows and their bainisteoir Richie Brennan.

Many thanks to Johnny Brenner, assisted by Adrian, for the organisation of these leagues, and to the bainisteoiri Kieran, Richie, Declan and Tom who were committed every week to helping their teams and thus ensuring that parents and family members looking on were treated to some brilliant action.

Orange Team: Paudie Mackey (hurling captain), Colm Landers (football captain), Ian Landers, David Buckley, Ben Fogarty, Tommy Morrison, Colm Leahy, Sean O’Riordan, Ruairi Mackey – manager Declan Fogarty.
Yellow Team: Jamie Fogarty (hurling captain),  Aaron Fitzgibbon (football captain), Rory Lynch, Dale McMahon, Ben Budds, Ciaran Brennan, Fergal Danaher, Diarmuid Buckley, Sean Kenneally – manager Richie Brennan.
Blue Team: Eoin Brenner (hurling captain), Evan Lane (football captain), George Walsh, Darragh O’Leary, Rory Motherway, Jack Griffin, Darragh O’Brien, Pearse Geary, Jack O’Connor – manager Kieran O’Brien.
Green Team: Colm Treacy (hurling captain), David Buttimer (football captain), Jack Flanagan, Daniel Walsh, Conor Meade, Danny Fitzgerald, Callum Martin White, Dylan McCarthy, Eoin Kelly – manager Tom Kelly.

It was the morning after the night before (our senior team’s capitulation to Sars in Pairc Ui Chaoimh), and thus our Under 12 Parish Leagues became the first step forward in building for the future of our club after the disappointment of the previous day. We were helped by the fine morning, but once again it was heartening to see such a great turnout of players (44) and both sidelines full of parents and family members cheering and chatting. These Parish League games are not just good for our players, they are good for us parents too! We played two rounds of games this week, with Richie Landers’ Yellow Team winning both their games. In the first game they defeated Cathal Fitzgibbon’s Green Team by 3-4 to 2-4, with Dara Motherway and Richie getting the scores, while Cathal, Olan Broderick, Ciaran O’Rourke and Robbie Treacy were excellent for the Greens. In their second game Richie’s team beat Cian McDonald’s Red Team by 0-5 to 0-4, with Dara getting the winning point from a free in the final minute of a gripping encounter, which was level at half time (0-2 each). Daniel Doherty played a starring role around the middle of the field for the Yellows in this one. Earlier, Cian’s Red Team had defeated Robert Sinclair’s Blue Team by 4-5 to 0-1, with Cian himself scoring 2-1, and Daniel Lucey, Ben O’Connor and Ryan McCarthy also excellent. Robert’s Blue team, for whom Ciaran Leahy’s withdrawal through injury was a big setback, drew with Cathal’s Green Team in the final game. This was probably the game of the day, with the Blues leading by 1-1 to 1-0 at half time. Paul Delaney scored a fine point from the left wing, while Aaron Fitzgibbon scored an overhead goal that his gifted namesake John (All-Ireland winner in 1986 and 1990) would have been proud of. The second half was equally thrilling, with the Greens coming back strongly to tie the scores at 3-1 apiece. Time was up when Ciaran O’Rourke’s final opportunity was denied by the reiteoir’s final whistle, so we head in to the semi-finals and finals next week (Saturday 19th @ 10.30) with each team confident of success. We can’t wait!

Blue Team: Robert Sinclair, Paul Delaney, Danny Cunningham, Aaron O’Connell, Patrick Barry, Jonathan Guerin, Ciaran Leahy, Brian Murphy, Darragh Coleman, Tony McCarthy, Eoin Brenner, Aaron Fitzgibbon, Dale McMahon.
Yellow Team: Richie Landers, Dara Motherway, Darragh O’Connor, Owen Cosgrove, Olan Coleman, Tommy Noonan, Christian Coughlan, Padraig Landers, Ryan Farquhar, Daniel Doherty, Darragh Buckley, Padraig Mackey, Evan Lane.
Red Team: Cian McDonald, Ryan McCarthy, Daniel Lucey, George Sinclair, Daniel Daly, Ben O’Connor, David Collins, Paul Kent, David Scully, Ben Jennings, Colm Treacy, Colm Landers, Jack Flanagan.
Green Team: Cathal Fitzgibbon, Olan Broderick, Karl O’Toole, Oisin McCarthy, David Kelly, Robbie Treacy, Ciaran O’Rourke, Remy Bernard, Adam Danaher, Jamie Fogarty, David Buttimer, Rory Lynch.