St Catherines GAA Club News

02 September, 2013

St Catherines GAA
St Catherines U14 B Cork county champions
Rebel Óg County U14 B hurling championship final
St Catherines 3-9 Cúchulainns 3-4
Historic inaugural success under the captaincy of Dick Hegarty was in the year 1959. While 1997 was an eventful year, losing to Cloughduv in the Féile final. But then exacted revenge in what was called the county final country section at Mayfield later in the summer. Before winning out the championship proper against city champions Brian Dillons at Páirc Uí Rinn three weeks later. Winning captain was Liam Kearney in his pre “Conna Maradona” days!!!! Shane O’Brien led the charges at Castletownroche against Milford in the C final of 2009. Now Niall O’Regan adds his name to that illustrious list as for the fourth time in the club’s history a title in this particular age group is won with a well earned five point win over Cúchulainns when the Rebel Óg county U14 B hurling championship final was played at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday afternoon last. Cúchullainns are a combination of Kanturk and Lismire from the northern division. It was the second leg of a double header. Valley Rovers defeating Fermoy in the A final which acted as curtain-raiser. Cúchullainns  were providing a stern and formidable test. A second goal just on the stroke of half time establishing a six point lead on an interval 2-3 to 0-3 scoreline.
Now favoured by the conditions and the Saints inflicted serious damage through the third quarter. Two goals in as many minutes apart from Niall O’Regan ensued in running up a tally of 2-3 without reply and overall a lead of 2-6 to 2-4 established to fifty minutes. Kieran English’s goal five minutes from the end confirming a five point victory margin.
Victory celebrations were held in Ballynoe on Saturday night when the clubs newest county champions were paraded through the village. Before being introduced to their loyal body of fans in front of the community centre. It will now enter the annals of club history.
Scorers: N O’Regan (0-3 frees) (2-5), K English (1-0), A Long, B O’Brien, E Davis and R English (0-1 each).
Team: Owen O’Neill, Shane Spillane, Cormac Galvin, Philip Keane, Shane Kelleher, Richard Galvin, Eoin Wallace, Ben O’Brien, Darren Leamy, Robert English, Niall O’Regan, Aaron Long, Adam O’Brien, Kieran English, Eoin Davis. Also on panel: Eoin Sheehan, Padraig Bryan, Andy Leahy, Ciaran O’Brien and Kevin Barry. Referee: Brian Coniry (Crosshaven).
Rebel Óg East 12-a-side U14 C football championship final
St Catherines 2-5
White’s Cross 0-10
It’s abundantly clear that little or nothing separates these two evenly matched teams. Just a point was between them when they opened the Rebel Óg East season in a league match at Ballynoe back in early February. That was again the margin and again just favouring the Saints when this Rebel Óg East 12-a-side U14 C football championship final was played at Rathcormac on Wednesday evening, August 14 last. Yes it was close. Very close, truth be told and the Saints were fortunate to be just three points adrift at the break.
Niall O’Regan left footed over the score of the half. But Jonathon Noonan and in particular Corey Cambridge were excellent for the opposition and realistically should have been more ahead than what a 0-6 to 0-3 half-time lead reflected.
But this championship final was turned on its head through the third quarter. Spearheaded by a stunning Richard Galvin goal just four minutes into the second half. Careering up field and right through the heart of the opposition defence before sending an unstoppable drive to the roof of the net. Hit with ferocious power it was a strike befitting any occasion. Wonderful equalising score. Owen O’Neill quickly added the lead point. Kieran English, who always has the ability to score important goals, again on target on forty minutes with another slightly fortunate though invaluable finish and as we entered the home straight the Saints have turned it around and are now ahead on a 2-5 to 0-6 scoreline. But had to withstand a surging White’s Cross rally. Bit by bit they clawed back the deficit. But time ran out and again the Saints on the right side of a one point victory margin in a final finished in virtual darkness, it being the second leg of a double header. 
Earlier Whitechurch (0-8) and Castlelyons (1-5) sharing the spoils in the 13 C hurling championship final. That one refereed by James Bermingham of the host club. Winding up board chairman Donie Cahill made the presentation to winning Saints captain Robert English. Both St Catherines and Whites Cross now go forward to county competition. Who is to say they won’t meet for a third time?!!!!!
St Catherines scorers: K English (1-1), Rd Galvin (1-0), N O’Regan and O O’Neill (0-2 each).
St Catherines team: A Long, C Galvin, P Keane, E Wallace, Rd Galvin, D Leamy, B O’Brien, R English (team captain), N O’Regan, O O’Neill, K English, E Davis. Also on panel: S Kelleher, E Sheehan, A O’Brien, K Barry, C O’Brien, A Leahy, S Spillane and P Bryan. Referee: Arthur Murphy (Glenbower Rovers).
Rebel Óg East U16 B football championship quarter-final
Aghabullogue 1-6 St Catherines 1-3
Maybe in the end all the exertions caught up with some of the players. Eventually losing this winnable U16 B football championship quarter-final by a three point margin. Billed for the North Mon field it was eventually relocated to Donoughmore and played on Sunday last with a 12.00 noon throw-in. Yes it was a bit tight for a while. But with county championship matches upcoming at thirteen, fourteen and sixteen level it was the overall scheme of things beneficial to play this match at this particular time. This was a squad week anyway and the semi-finals are down for Wednesday evening next, August 28.
Stephen O’Donnell set up Rory Galvin for the lead point inside the opening three minutes. That said from an early stage it was obvious this was going to be a low scoring championship encounter. Aghabullogue with a win over Kiltha Óg already under their belt, were almost soley reliant on midfielder Matthew Bradley for scores. Indeed he kicked over all six points. Rory Galvin again and beautifully judging the effect of a stiffish breeze added to his tally after eighteen minutes. Aghabullogue and Bradley just shading it at the break. Score 0-3 to 0-2.
Bradley again involved when setting up James Bergin for the opposition goal on forty two minutes. But stubborn Catherines resistance was again rewarded when Richard Galvin with the key pass released Robert English to score a stunning goal. Gap back to the minimum one point. With the score standing at 1-4 to 1-3 to the three quarter mark. Aghabullogue, though fortunate to still have fifteen players on the pitch, just saw it out and will meet either Ballinhassig or Cobh in the regional semi-final.
Aghabullogue scorers: M Bradley (0-2 frees) (0-6) and J Bergin (1-0).
St Catherines scorers: R English (1-0), R Galvin (0-2) and J Walsh (free) (0-1 each).
St Catherines team: Thomas O’Donnell, Shane O’Regan, Niall O’Callaghan, Eoin Wallace, Jack O’Brien, Sean Leamy, Kieran Neville, Brian Davis, Lucas O’Callaghan McCarthy (team captain), Robert English, Rory Galvin, Richard Galvin, Stephen O’Donnell, John Walsh, Niall O’Regan. Subs: Ben O’Brien for Brian Davis (20’), Rosz Butler for Niall O’Regan (42’), Kevin Geary for Stephen O’Donnell (51’), Kieran English for Richard Galvin (53’). Also on panel: Philip Keane, Conor Hickey, Darren Leamy and Eoin Davis. Referee: Mick Myers (Blarney).
Adult Club Matches
East Cork Junior B hurling championship first round
St Catherines 2-15 Killeagh 2-11
Although four points victors at the end, St Catherines were made work hard for their eventual reward when this divisional junior B hurling championship first round tie was played on a well prepared Dungourney pitch on Monday evening, August 12 last.
Brian Mulcahy had the Saints off to a flyer. Goaling from close range inside ninty seconds, but Killeagh undeterred, were sticking to the job on hand. Dylan Coleman, John Walsh and Seán Crowley all registered on the scoreboard, as did “Junior” Sheehan and Christopher O’Donnell, as the half progressed, for the Saints. Now ahead at 1-6 to 0-7 at the break.
Again Killeagh were having the better of it on the change around. A tally of 1-3 without reply pushing them into a daunting four point lead now five minutes into the second half. Ever accurate Kevin Dinneen initiated the Saints recovery. He scored their next seven points including one excellent effort from play and another from a subliminal sideline cut. Enough to see parity restored at 1-11 apiece and a lead of 1-13 to 1-11 established to fifty four minutes. When a Dinneen free wasn’t dealt with Colm Ahern finished off the second Saints goal shortly afterwards.
Still an exciting finish was in prospect when Killeagh netminder Mark Landers goaled a twenty metre free. Thankfully that was as close as it would get. St Catherines were able to see it out, but improvement is required and you wonder how the team would face up to any possible defections which could easily happen with the first team still involved.
Killeagh scorers: J Walsh (0-5 frees) (1-5), M Landers (1-0 free), D Coleman (0-1 sideline cut) and S Crowley (0-1 65) (0-1 free) (0-2 each), P Walsh and E Byrne (0-1 each).
St Catherines scorers: K Dinneen (0-7 frees) (0-1 sideline cut) (0-10), B Mulcahy (1-3), C Ahern (1-0), “Jnr” Sheehan and C O’Donnell (0-1 each).
St Catherines team: C Leahy, J Casey, D Hayes, J Lane, D Noonan, A Brennan (team captain), J Kennedy, J Noonan, C Mulcahy, K Dinneen, L O’Connor, “Jnr” Sheehan, M Hegarty, B Mulcahy, C O’Donnell. Subs: C Ahern for C Mulcahy (second half), C Kearney for C O’Donnell (33’), N O’Brien for J Noonan (47’). Also on panel: P Lee, T Walsh, J Hurley, S Walsh and E Corcoran. Referee: James Hennessy (Dungourney).
Intermediate Hurling Challenge
Two teams more or less completing their championship preparation met for the second time in seven weeks when this intermediate hurling challenge was played at Ballynoe on Friday evening last. Inniscarra are paired with Kilworth. While in yet another change to proceedings St Catherines and Kildorrery will now play their intermediate hurling championship fourth round clash at Rathcormac on Saturday evening, August 31 at 6.15pm.
A share of the spoils was how it ended. Score 0-14 each in the last meeting between the Saints and Ballyanley played at Ballyanley in mid June. But this was a much more intense and physical encounter. Inniscarra very impressive at the start. Dan O’Connell, Conor Buckley and Colm Casey excelling in building up a deserved half time lead on a 2-8 to 1-4 scoreline. Shane Kearney perfectly reading the flight of Matthew Mulcahy’s lengthy delivery scored the Saints goal, which tied up proceedings at 1-2 apiece after six minutes.
St Catherines reshuffled the pack for the changeover and took the contest to the premier graded team. Padraig O’Connor and Shane O’Brien flashed over spectacular points. Daniel Mangan though was the real threat. Accurate from both frees and play as parity was restored at 1-16 to 2-13 to fifty three minutes. It was decided at the finish by a well -taken Jonathon Olden goal. Final score St Catherines 1-16 Inniscarra 3-14. Thanks to Pa Beausang of Midleton who refereed.
Saturday, August 24 at Ballynoe
Intermediate hurling championship fourth round Fermoy v Fr O’Neills at 6.30pm.
Rebel Óg East Fixtures
Saturday, August 24 at Caherlag
U16 B hurling championship final v Mayfield at 3.30pm.
Sunday, August 25 at TBC
U13 B hurling championship final v Cloughduv at TBC.
St Catherines are up on Twitter. You can keep up to date with all match scores as they happen. Get all club news and fixtures direct to your phone. Follow us today at
“As it was in the beginning – and so shall it end”!!!! Cork’s first day out disposing of Clare in the Munster semi-final at Limerick. Now they will renew acquaintances again on the greatest stage of all. Yes now we know. Cork and Clare will meet in this year’s All-Ireland senior hurling final at Croke Park on Sunday, September 8. Should be a cracker!
Night at the dogs
More about this next week due to the pressure of space. Just a reminder that major fundraiser for the year is a night at the dogs. Scheduled for Youghal greyhound track on Friday night, September 6 with an 8pm start. Admission tickets are €10, with dog nomination tickets selling for €25 and will be available from club officers. There will be a raffle on the night. First prize €100 plus many more prizes. “Let yourself go”!!!!!
Lotto Results
Finally for the week and the results from the most recent lotto draw, which was held at The Winner’s Enclosure, Conna on Monday night last, August 19. Numbers drawn were 1, 11, 15 and 18 and there was no winner of the €5,200 jackpot. While the consolation winners on the night were: Jane Barry, c/o The Big Tree, Aghern; Denis and Breda Geary, Glenacroghery, Tallow; Ríona Morrison, Curraheen, Conna; Kate Hegarty, Ballymonteen, Ballynoe and Kevin Galvin, Lacken, Glengoura. Next week’s draw for a jackpot of €5,400 will be at The Plough, Curraglass on Monday night, August 26.