Killeagh GAA Club News

14 August, 2013

NEWSLETTER FOR W/C July 15th 2013 .
Killeagh GAA would like to extend our deep sympathy to the family of the late Mr. William (Billy) Smiddy who sadly passed away on Thursday, August 8th 2013. He was a proud supporter of GAA in general but in particular of both St Ita’s and Killeagh GAA Clubs. Having represented his local club on the playing fields, his keen interest in the Killeagh GAA club developed due to his grandchildren who all play hurling, football and camogie locally. He took great pride in his grandson, Shane, who joined the ranks of our senior hurlers this season. He will be remembered most fondly by all GAA supporters but especially those who required a scoring update no matter what the match was. He has kept a score book of every match he attended and many, many people relied on him for the correct score during matches. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam   
Club Lotto Results;
The latest club lotto numbers were drawn on Tuesday August 6th.
Numbers drawn were 21, 25, 26 and 30.
There was no jackpot winner this week and the jackpot for next draw will be €1200.
€30 each to Michael Holland, John Prendergast, Maurice Garde and Ger Collins.
The Club Lotto Draw takes place each Tuesday night and many thanks to all for supporting our club lotto.
Club Shop;
The Club shop is open on most Saturday mornings from 10.30am to 11.30am. Jerseys, shorts, training clothing, etc. are all available in club colours for all ages. Please support your club by purchasing from the club shop.
Cork Senior Hurling Championship, Round 4. Killeagh 3-15 Avondhu 1-14
Killeagh became the first team into the quarter final of this year’s Cork Senior Hurling Championship when they overwhelmed divisional side, Avondhu, in Castlelyons on Saturday evening, August 10th. Congratulations to Noel ‘Dip’ O’Connor and his backroom team who reaped the rewards of their hard work and took great pride in the way their team went about this game. Great praise is, of course, also due to the players themselves who played a fantastic game to easily advance to the next stage of the competition. The game was played on a beautiful evening in Pairc t-Athair Peadar O’ Laoghaire and the large attendance got full value for their entrance fee. Prior to the throw-in and National Anthem, a minutes silence was held to remember the late Bill Smiddy who sadly passed away on Thursday last. Members of his family attended the match and his grandson Shane is a member of the senior panel.
Killeagh were forced into some changes for this game and when it finally got underway, it was Avondhu who started brighter. They settled into the game far quicker and had three points on the board inside the first seven minutes to Killeagh’s no score. But from the Killeagh puck-out the ball eventually ended up in the Avondhu net courtesy of Sean ’Pixie’ Long. Joe Deane added a point from play on nine minutes before Avondhu regained the lead by a point on eleven minutes. Both teams exchanged points with Killeagh’s point coming from a Joe Deane free on twelve minutes. But by the end of the first quarter Killeagh turned a one point deficit into a four point lead. On thirteen minutes Joe Budds scored a point from play before the hard-working Andy Walsh scored a goal on fourteen minutes and a point on fifteen minutes, both from play. Avondhu dominated the game somewhat for the next ten minutes but could not turn possession into points on the score board and still trailed by one point with the score Killeagh 2-04 to Avondhu 0-09. Killeagh scored two more points before half-time through a Joe Deane ’65 on twenty four minutes and Eoghan Keniry, making his full senior championship debut, reacted fastest to a very poor puck out by the Avondhu keeper, and calmly slotted over a well deserved score on thirty minutes. It was a welcome score as the Killeagh team had a few bad wides beforehand. The teams retired at half-time with Killeagh one point ahead with the score at Killeagh 2-06 to Avondhu’s 0-11.
As the second half got underway it was Killeagh’s turn to settle first and had two more points on the board inside the first five minutes through Eoghan Keniry and a Joe Deane free. On eight minutes a sweet series of passing by the Killeagh team found Eoghan Keniry alone in front of goal and he kept his cool to crash the sliothar to the net beyond the reach of the Avondhu keeper. Killeagh were now gaining control and after ten minutes led this game on a score of 3-09 to Avondhu 0-12. Two more Joe Deane frees on the twelfth and fifteenth minute extended the Killeagh lead to eight points. On twenty minutes the Killeagh keeper, Bernard Rochford pulled off a fine save to deny Avondhu a glimmer of hope and when the ball was cleared upfield Joe Deane pointed a free after a foul on Andy Walsh. The in-form debutant, Eoghan Keniry added another point from play on twenty three minutes before Avondhu scored their second score of the half with a point on twenty four minutes. With five minutes remaining Killeagh were in full control and were leading by three goals with the score at 3-13 to 0-13. Man of the Match, Eoghan Keniry, added another fine point from play on twenty seven minutes but the loudest cheer of the evening came on the twenty eighth minute. After coming onto the field only seconds earlier, Michael ’Fong’ Byrne got possession of the ball and despite the close attention of two opponents he managed a superb point from the left hand side of the field and also let his marker legitimately know he was on the field. Avondhu added a goal (20 metre free) and a point from play on twenty eight and twenty nine minutes from Peter O Brien who, wearing number eleven was easily their best player. However it was not enough and Killeagh were greeted by their jubilant supporters after winning the game by seven points on a final score of 3-15 to 1-14
It was a fantastic game to watch from start to finish. Both teams played very well throughout but by dominating the second half completely, Killeagh easily emerged victorious. There were some great individual performances but the team as a unit played their best hurling to date in this game. They now await the winners of the Sars v UCC clash to see who their opponents will be in the quarter finals.
Team/Panel: Bernard Rochford, Steven Murphy, Colin Fogarty, Patrick O’Brien, Cian Fogarty, Kieran Lane (Captain), Padraig McGrath, Brendan Barry, Philip O’Neill, Eoghan Keniry, Padraic Carroll, Andy Walsh, Sean Long, Joe Budds, Joe Deane. Substitutes: Michael Byrne, Shane Smiddy, David Cahill, John O’Connor, Gary Leahy, Mathew Murphy, Daniel Walsh, Allen Keniry, Mike Fitzgerald, Stevie Treacy, Tadgh Crotty, Darragh Cahill
Management and Selectors: Noel O’Connor, Donie Treacy, Dominic Fogarty, Kevin Lane, Liam OReilly 
Championship Draws:
Cork Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final – Killeagh play the winners of Sars v UCC
East Cork Draws:
Junior ‘B’ Hurling- Eamonn Fleming Cup: Killeagh play St. Catherine’s in Dungourney on Monday evening August 13th at 7.30pm.
Junior ‘C’ Hurling- Michael Foley Cup: Killeagh play the winners of Castlemartyr/Bride Rovers clash, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘A’ Football- Jim Ryan Cup: Glenbower Rovers through to semi-finals of the competition.
Junior ‘B’ Football- Michael Boig Coleman Cup: Glenbower Rovers play Aghada in a preliminary round fixture, venue and date to be fixed.
Killeagh GAA Golf Society;
President: Mr. Kieran Scully, Captain: Mr. Ray Rochford, Secretary: Mr. Ger Ahern.
The Society will hold their next outing in Castlemartyr on Thursday August 15th. Tee times for the outing are from 2pm to 3.30pm. Guests are welcome to play and further details and bookings can be made through Ray on 0872330054.

Killeagh-Ita’s Juvenile GAA Notes
Under 16 Hurling
Killeagh-Itas 0-11 Sars 4-17
Our lads took on Sars on Wednesday evening last in Cobh in the opening round of the Under 16 Hurling Championship. Minus a few key players, our lads played very well but unfortunately the scoreline doesn’t reflect this. Some great work in midfield and half-forward line allowed our lads to knock over some points but Sars led at the break 2-8 to 0-6. Sars continued where they left off and went on to dominate the scoreboard in the second half. Only for some unlucky breaks for our lads, we could’ve added a goal or two in the second half but it wasn’t to be, as Sars had a bit too much and ran out winners 4-17 to 0-11. Sars progress to the next round while our lads face Na Piarsaigh in the loser’s round.
Killeagh; D Cusack, C Broderick, J O’Rourke, K Cantillon, K Fennelly, D O’Brien, K Murphy, C Coughlan, E Barron, C Deane, D Landers, J Merchusuv, P Delaney, K Treacy, D Ogbebor. Subs Used; A Walsh, L Fogarty