Killeagh GAA Club News

09 July, 2013

NEWSLETTER FOR W/C July 8th 2013 .
Club Lotto Results;
The latest club lotto numbers were drawn on Tuesday July 2nd.
There was no jackpot winner this week and the jackpot for next draw will be €6600.
The Club Lotto Draw takes place each Tuesday night and many thanks to all for supporting our club lotto.
Club Shop;
The Club shop is open on most Saturday mornings from 10.30am to 11.30am. Jerseys, shorts, training clothing, etc. are all available in club colours for all ages. Please support your club by purchasing from the club shop.
Junior squad have the following fixtures to hand.          
Division 1 hurling league against Cobh in Cobh on Saturday July 13th
‘Minor Football Championship’, Killeagh-Itas against Doheny’s on Wednesday 10th July
Please come and support your teams.
Junior ‘A’ championship (Jamesy Kelleher Cup) Killeagh 1-14 Midleton 2-12
Killeagh senior hurlers played their third round tie of the Cork County Senior Hurling Championship against Ballinahassig in Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday evening last, July 6th 2013. There was a very good crowd in attendance on a lovely evening for championship hurling. Killeagh welcomed back a couple of key players for the match and this led to changes in personnel prior to the start of the game.  Once the game got underway Killeagh were first off the mark with a point on three minutes from Joe Budds. This was followed very quickly by an equalising point from ’Hassig’ on four minutes. Killeagh edged in front again on eight minutes through a pointed free from Joe Deane. Hassig replied with two points in a row on eleven and twelve minutes before Killeagh scored another point on thirteen minutes through another free from Joe Deane when Andy Walsh was cruelly taken down just outside the square. It was Hassig who then took on a purple patch by hitting over three points without reply over the next seven minutes wherein they also had a huge tally of wides. Both teams then traded points somewhat for the last ten minutes with Joe Deane (2) and Joe Budds scoring for Killeagh and the teams left the field at half time with Ballinahassig in front by three points.
The second half got underway and, as in the first half, it was Killeagh who struck the first blow with a point from Joe Deane inside the first minute. It was cancelled out very quickly on two minutes by ‘Hassig’. Killeagh, who now seemed to have found something extra in reserve started to dominate the game and, hit over four points without reply over the next nine minutes. Andy Walsh scored two delightful points for Killeagh in between points from the energetic Joe Budds and the ice-cool Joe Deane. ‘Hassig’ replied after this Killeagh purple patch to score a point to bring the teams back to level terms on forty one minutes. On forty four minutes it was the hard working Andy Walsh who reacted quickest to a goalkeepers save that had the ball in the net for Killeagh. Both he and the keeper required medical attention and after three minutes were able to resume duty. From there until the end of normal time Killeagh hit three points through Sean Long, Andy Walsh and Joe Deane while Ballinahassig scored two in the same period. Killeagh now had a lead of four points going into injury time and when Ballinahassig were awarded a penalty the large crowd went silent. Up stepped the Ballinahassig keeper and struck a sweet strike only to be denied by the Killeagh defence who saved and hit the ball to the safety of a ’65. Ballinahassig scored the last score of the game with a point from that ’65 and euphoria on the Killeagh sideline and among the travelling supporters as Killeagh secured a sweet victory on a score of 1-14 to 0-14.
Killeagh team: B. Rochford, C. Fogarty, Colin Fogarty, P Mc Grath, P.O’Brien, B. Barry, K. Lane, P O’Neill, J.O’Connor, A. Walsh, P. Carroll, J. Budds, S. Long, M. Byrne, Joe Deane. Subs used: D Cahill, E. Keniry, D. Walsh, M. Murphy.

Championship Draws:
East Cork Draws:
Junior ‘B’ Hurling- Eamonn Fleming Cup: Killeagh are drawn against St. Catherine’s, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘C’ Hurling- Michael Foley Cup: Killeagh play the winners of Castlemartyr/Bride Rovers clash, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘A’ Football- Jim Ryan Cup: Glenbower Rovers through to semi-finals of the competition.
Junior ‘B’ Football- Michael Boig Coleman Cup: Glenbower Rovers play Aghada in a preliminary round fixture, venue and date to be fixed.
Under 21 ‘B’ Hurling- Gerry O’Connell 1973: Killeagh are drawn against Fr. O’Neills in a quarter-final clash, venue and date to be fixed.
Killeagh GAA Golf Society;
President: Mr. Kieran Scully, Captain: Mr. Ray Rochford, Secretary: Mr. Ger Ahern.

Golf Classic 2013:
The huge fundraising vehicle that is our Annual Golf Classic completed its journey for this year when the actual golfing competition took place over three glorious days in West Waterford Golf Club. The three person event was held on the 4th, 5th and 6th of July and culminated in a fantastic prize-giving night at the Dungarvan venue. It was the 17th year of this fundraiser and the weather over the three days could not have been nicer for organisers, host club and the many, many golfers who took part. In fact over 160 teams took part in the outing and the overall prize went to an all-ladies team representing Erins Own GAA Club.
A huge debt of gratitude is owed from the club to everybody who helped in any small or big way with this year’s event and Chairman, Kieran Scully, conveyed this sentiment on behalf of the club. He thanked Mr. Ray Rochford for his tremendous hard work year in, year out with regard to the classic and echoed everybody’s belief that it would not be such a success without Ray at the helm. In performing his duties at the prize giving, Ray, who is also the Golf Society’s Captain this year, took time out to thank all those involved again with him this year. He thanked West Waterford Golf Club for all their hard work on and off the course to make the venue such a welcoming place for golfer and visitor alike. He asked Austin Spratt to convey his thanks to all his staff and volunteers at the Golf Club. He continued on by thanking the many sponsors of teams, tee boxes, greens, prizes, refreshments and the like that were so valuable over the three days and a word of special thanks to this years main sponsors who were Abbeylands Nursing Home, Kildorrery and Premier Service Station of Midleton and Fermoy. Ray also gave his own personal thanks to the huge team of volunteers that he has commandeered over a number of years and who continuously help him without fail every year. He thanked the various starters for each day, the staff on the registration desk each day, the marshalls on the course each day, the officers, committee and members of the Killeagh GAA Club who welcomed every golfer and visitor to the event each day and also to those who helped with posters, signs, refreshments etc throughout the three glorious days. He again insisted this year that the classic would not be such a success without everybody in the club putting their shoulders to the wheel and he wished to thank everybody for that effort and apologised if he had forgotten anybody who deserved his thanks. Finally, he congratulated all the winners over the three days and hoped that he would see them and more of their friends at the same venue in 2014 for the Killeagh GAA Club’s 18th Annual Golf Classic.
Classic Main Results as Follows:
Classic Winners: Erin's Own Gaa…………………..99 pts
                            2nd Rathcormac Tyres……………95 pts
                            3rd Apple Computing…………… 95 pts
                            Best Gross Tommy Galvin……… 69 pts
                          5th Best Non GUI Dan O’Connor…………...90 pts
                          6th Tommy Butler ………………..................94 pts
                          7th Best Thurs Premier Service Station…….. 91 pts
                          8th Best Fri West Waterford Golf Club…….89 pts

                          9th best sat Kieran Foley……………………92 pts
                          10th Best Ladies Noel O’Connor’s Team….89 pts

Killeagh-Ita’s Juvenile GAA Notes
Minor Hurling
Killeagh-Itas 1-14 Na Piarsaigh 3-10
It was the fixture we were waiting for but unfortunately we were unlucky on the night and lost out to Piarsaigh by 2 points. It was played on a glorious evening on a very good Rostellan pitch. Goals win games and unfortunately for our lads we could only find the net on one occasion. We trailed by 1point at the interval 0-9 to 1-7. Some great points from Shane Smiddy, Dan Landers, Eoghan Keniry and Shane McCarthy left us in a good position heading into the second half without playing to our potential.
In the second half we played very well and only for some disputed refereeing decisions the game could have gone our way. Eoghan Keniry sent a rifle to the net which raised our only green flag but we couldn’t kick on and Na Piarsaigh ran out winners and progress to next round as our season is now finished. The minor footballers will play Doheny’s on Wednesday evening next in a first round championship tie with a venue TBC.
Team; C Walsh, A Morrison, B McCarthy, E O’Connor, D Cahill, D O’Brien, P Walsh, M Murphy, S McCarthy, E Keniry, M Coleman, S Smiddy, G Leahy, D Landers, B Delaney. Subs Used; J Farrelly, B Murphy.

Under 16 Football
Killeagh-Itas 4-10 Midleton 1-6
Our footballers continued their good league form with another impressive victory over Midleton on Wednesday evening last. Both teams turned out with depleted squads but this didn’t stop our lads as we recorded a great win over our near rivals. Dan Landers and Aaron Walsh both raised the green flag in the first half while some great team play left Killeagh leading 2-7 to 0-4 at halftime. We kicked on again in the second half and Killian Treacy played very well in full-forward as he finished with 2 goals and a great penalty save from our stand-in keeper Jack Merchusuv left Killeagh run out winners on a scoreline of 4-10 to 1-6. We play our first round of Championship on Monday evening against Ballinora in Mayfield.

Fé 14 Footballers Bow Out: Passage 3-14, Killeagh-Ita’s 1-6
Our Under 14 boys bowed out of the Rebel Óg Eastern Fé 14 ‘A’ Football Championship after defeat to Passage in the first round match played at Caherlag on Thursday last. Our boys gave a very committed performance, particularly in the first half, but we were ultimately outplayed in the second half against the wind. Passage got off to a flyer with a goal after two minutes and they added two points quickly. Two points from Adrian Galvin (free) and Daniel Hickey reduced the margin, but then calamity struck when we lost centre-back Dylan Hogan with an arm injury after just eleven minutes. Our selectors had to restructure our team, but we played with great heart right up to half time. Passage scored another goal before we took over, scoring 1-3 in the second quarter with fine points from Daniel and Adrian again, either side of a point from hard-working Fionn McDonnell and a cracking goal from 20 metres by Keane Kelly Budds. At half time we had reduced the margin to two points (2-4 to 1-5) and our hopes rose when Keane kicked the opening score of the second half to reduce the deficit to the minimum. However, Passage, aided by the wind, took over from here, and with their centre-forward causing havoc (scoring 2-6 in all), we had no answer, and unfortunately did not score for the remainder of the game. Well done boys for honest effort, and best wishes to Dylan as he recovers from his injury.
Team: Andrew Foley, Barry Motherway, Dean Ward, Kieran Daly, Jack Wyse, Dylan Hogan, Padraig Leahy, Keane Kelly Budds (1-1), Sean Walsh, Richie Long, Daniel Hickey (0-2), Shane Kearney, Fionn McDonnell (0-1), Adrian Galvin (0-2) and Jamie Clifford. Subs used: Darragh Geary, Olin Hennessy, James Kent.

Best wishes
To Seamie Harnedy who lines out for Cork in the Munster Senior Hurling Final on Sunday next, and to Padraig Leahy who lines out for Cork in the Primary Game at half-time in the senior final.

Next week
Cúl Camp report and photos!