Killeagh GAA Club News

29 April, 2013

NEWSLETTER FOR W/C April 29th 2013
Killeagh GAA Community Newsletter
The Spring 2013 edition of our free community newsletter is now available. The newsletter contains valuable information on all that is happening at Pairc Ui Chinneide and beyond. Copies of the colour magazine will be delivered to every household in the parish over the next few days. Your free copy can also be picked up from any local business premises. The club wishes to thank all those involved in the production and distribution of the current edition.

Club Lotto Results;
The latest club lotto numbers were drawn on Tuesday April 23rd. Numbers were 2, 7, 22 and 30.
There was no jackpot winner this week and the jackpot for next draw will be €4600.
The following were lucky dip winners in this weeks draw; Mary Fitzgibbon, Geraldine O’Driscoll, Eileen Kiely and Tony O’Neill.
The Club Lotto Draw takes place each Tuesday night and many thanks to all for supporting our club lotto.

Killeagh GAA Golf Classic 2013:
This year’s classic, our 17th, will take place in West Waterford Golf and Country Club on July 4th, 5th and 6th. The work starts now if we are to maximise the potential of this important fundraiser for our club. There are a wide range of sponsorship opportunities available from Tee-Box to Green and full details of the Classic and how you can help are available from Society Captain, Mr. Ray Rochford. To date, there are already two Major Sponsors on board for this year. They are Burgess Service Station and Abbeylands Nursing Home. Killeagh GAA Club wish to express their gratitude to JJ Fennelly and James Rochford respectively for their valuable sponsorship for this year’s Classic.

Club Shop;
The Club shop is open on most Saturday mornings from 10.30am to 11.30am. Jerseys, shorts, training clothing, etc. are all available in club colours for all ages. Please support your club by purchasing from the club shop.

Buster Night;
Killeagh GAA Clubs’ annual Buster Night at the Dogs has been fixed for Friday Night June 7th 2013 at Youghal Greyhound Track. Please make a note in your diary of the date and venue and we will have more details closer to the date.

Our junior hurling squad played a challenge game against Shamrocks GAA Club from Knockanore in Knockanore. Unfortunately, they lost the game by a solitary point where the score was 2-10 to 0-15 points. To add to the bad luck on the night, three members of the squad suffered injuries and we wish David Murphy, Dylan Coleman and Martin Fitzgerald a speedy recovery. Shamrocks GAA Club thanked Killeagh GAA Club for travelling to play the challenge match.

Our junior footballers turn to championship again with a quarter-final tie against Fr. O’Neills in Youghal (top field) on Thursday evening at 7pm.
Our junior hurling squad have a Division 2 league game against Carrigtwohill on Friday evening at 7.30pm in Carrigtwohill.
Our junior hurling squad have the following Division One fixtures to play:
Sunday May 5th at home to Newtownshandrum at 11.30am
Wednesday May 15th at 7.45pm away to Shanballymore
Friday May 24th at 7.45pm home to Ballyhooley
Please come and support your teams.

Championship Draws:
Cork Senior Hurling: Killeagh play Blackrock in their first round match in Midleton on Saturday June 1st with the throw-in at 7.30pm
East Cork Draws:
Junior ‘A’ Hurling- Jamesy Kelleher Cup: Killeagh are drawn against Sarsfields, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘B’ Hurling- Eamonn Fleming Cup: Killeagh are drawn against St. Catherine’s, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘C’ Hurling- Michael Foley Cup: Killeagh play the winners of Castlemartyr/Bride Rovers clash, venue and date to be fixed.
Junior ‘A’ Football- Jim Ryan Cup: Glenbower Rovers now play Fr. O’Neills on Thursday evening May 2nd in Youghal in round 3 of the competition.
Junior ‘B’ Football- Michael Boig Coleman Cup: Glenbower Rovers play Aghada in a preliminary round fixture, venue and date to be fixed.
Under 21 ‘B’ Hurling- Gerry O’Connell 1973: Killeagh are drawn against Fr. O’Neills in a quarter-final clash, venue and date to be fixed.

Killeagh GAA Golf Society;
President: Mr. Kieran Scully, Captain: Mr. Ray Rochford, Secretary: Mr. Ger Ahern.
The Societies’ most recent outing took place on Saturday April 27th at Dungarvan Golf Club and, again, it was very well attended. The outing was sponsored by Kennedy’s Bar, Killeagh and the presentation of prizes took place there on Saturday night. Presenting the prizes, Society Captain, Ray Rochford, had a number of people to thank. He thanked Dungarvan Golf Club for the use of its beautiful course and clubhouse on the day, thanked the sponsors of the outing, Kennedy’s Bar, for their continuous valuable support, he thanked all who played in the outing and especially thanked the large crowd who attended the prize-giving on Saturday night in Kennedy’s Bar. He congratulated all the prize winners who were as follows: 1st place Mr. Kevin Condon with 36 points
              2nd Place Mr. Joe Higgins 35 pts (b9)
              3rd place Mr. Pat O’Keefe 35 pts
              Best Gross Mr. John Walsh 26 pts

Killeagh-Ita’s Juvenile GAA Notes
Week beginning April 29th 2013

Minor Hurling;
The Premier 1 Minor Hurling Championship got underway for our minor hurlers on Wednesday night last, April 24th. The venue for the game changed several times before finally settling on Castlelyons. What a game it turned out to be. It was a very exciting game from the very start to the finish of full time and on into extra time where Glen Rovers were the victors by five points. The margin of victory was a little bit exaggerated as there was very little between the two teams for the duration. The sizeable crowd, on a beautiful evening in Castlelyons, were witness to an outstanding display of great hurling where every player on the field gave their all in search of victory. At the end of the game, the Killeagh-Ita’s team management were wholesome in their praise of the performance the players gave on the field and knew that the supreme effort was given by every player and they thanked them for that effort.
The throw-in for the game was 7pm and right from the start the players were tuned in. First point to Killeagh after a few seconds gave an insight of what was to come. After three minutes Glen Rovers were off the mark but Killeagh-Ita’s were in front with the score at 0-02 to 0-01. It was a blistering start and it continued as, after five minutes, the teams were level with three points apiece. No time to draw breath as after seven minutes Gary Leahy had the ball in the net for Killeagh-Itas to go into the lead again on 1-03 to 0-03. With both teams displaying all the skills of the game and trading scores, there was little between them on the pitch or scoreboard as Killeagh-Itas were still in front by a single point with little over twenty minutes played, the score being Killeagh-Itas 1-05 to Glen Rovers’ 0-07. Again the teams traded scores and at half time they were level with the scores Killeagh 1-07 to the Glens’ 0-10.
With the teams changing ends the crowd settled down for the second half and had to wait a few minutes for the opening score. And what a score it was as Killeagh-Itas hit the net for a second time through Dan Landers after three minutes of frenetic hurling. It took the Glen a few minutes to settle down but they clawed their way back and put three points on the scoreboard without reply over the next ten minutes and after forty three minutes of the game, the score was Killeagh-Itas 2-07 to the Glens’ 0-13. Killeagh-Ita’s then began to take a grip and forged ahead by four points over the next couple of minutes with three points from play and one from a free. Both teams again took turns at short periods of dominance as they added to their tally and, after fifty three minutes of glorious hurling, Killeagh-Itas maintained their three point’s advantage on a scoreline of Killeagh 2-13 to Glen Rovers’ 0-16. Going into the last few, nail-biting minutes, Glen Rovers managed yet again to claw their way back into the game and, on the sixty first minute, they scored the equalising point. The referee brought the game to a halt immediately from the puck-out with the final score at Killeagh-Itas 2-13 Glen Rovers 0-19. The teams took a well deserved break to get ready for twenty minutes of extra-time.
The first half of extra time got under way and it was the Glen who scored first with a point from play after a few seconds. After two minutes of play Killeagh-Itas hit the net for a third time through Dan Landers to regain the advantage by two points. The teams never let up in their endeavours and they both picked off some great points for the remainder of the first half and at the interval Killeagh-Ita’s were in front by just one point with the score Killeagh-Itas 3-15 Glen Rovers 0-23. With the start of the second half, the mighty effort of the previous seventy minutes was beginning to take its toll on the players and it was hard to see where the next score would come from. It took over four minutes of play for the Glen to score their only goal of the game to put them in front, for only the second time in the match, by two points. They found an extra ounce of energy as they added a further three points without reply over the next four minutes of play. Killeagh-Itas scored their only point of the second half of extra time in the nineteenth minute and it was never going to be enough to stop Glen Rovers advancing to the next round. Rovers finished off the game with the final point to leave the score Killeagh-Itas 3-16 Glen Rovers 1-27.
Killeagh-Ita’s now wait for the result of the Ballincollig / Na Piarsigh tie where they will play the losers in the next round of this year’s championship.
Team: C Walsh, A Morrisson, B McCarthy, E O’Connor, D Cahill, S McCarthy, D O’Brien, M Murphy, B Delaney, S Smiddy, M Coleman, E Keniry, G Leahy, D Landers D Smiddy. Subs: C Cusack, J Farrelly, E Murphy, C Broderick, D Cusack.  

Fun and fresh air on our Fundraising Walk!
Saturday April 27th was “Fun Walk Day” when over a hundred men, women and children of all ages paced it out on a beautiful Spring morning to walk from Páirc Uí Chinnéide to tranquil and heavenly Glenbower Woods, and return to our GAA home for some well-earned refreshments. All walkers were delighted with their ‘fresh air’ and our organisers Ursula and Yvonne were delighted with the funds raised (over €1400 in so far) which will go directly to the Cork Mercy Hospital and to our Juvenile Club. The walk was not only a great fundraiser but a great social event, with plenty of time for chat and exercise en route. Many thanks to all those who collected and donated money (and yes, some of the Confirmation children did dip into their deep pockets to contribute generously), to our many marshals who helped out on the day, and to the many who brought food for the ‘afters’ and who helped with the catering on the day. 

Fé 15 Iomáint  Killeagh-Ita’s 2-12, Blarney 2-11
Killeagh-Ita’s had an exciting win over Blarney on Monday evening last in the Under 15 Premier 1 HL, their second game in this league. This was a solid team performance with Killian Treacy, Kevin Murphy and Jack O’Rourke to the fore. Next up was a tough away assignment to Ballincollig, details next week.

Fé 14 Iomáint  Killeagh-Ita’s 4-8 St. Colman’s 4-10
Our Under 14 hurlers welcomed newly-formed St. Colman’s (nice jerseys!) to Páirc Uí Chinnéide in Round 4 of the Rebel Óg league on Thursday evening. Minus three of our central players through injury and illness (best wishes to Jamie and Shane as they recuperate from injury), we were going to be up against it playing the unbeaten St. Colman’s. What we witnessed was a cracking game from start to finish which was undoubtedly our best performance of the year so far. Fionn McDonnell was outstanding in goals and couldn’t be faulted for any of the four that passed him in the second half, having kept a clean sheet for a long time. Dylan Hogan and Daniel Hickey were very dominant in defence, while Keane Budds and Sean Walsh not only did the bulk of the scoring but also worked their socks off throughout the field from first whistle to last. Having led by 0-7 to 0-5 at half time and by 3-8 to 1-9 with just ten minutes left, our defence finally succumbed to the pressure by conceding three goals in seven minutes. It was a match we could have won, probably should have drawn, but unfortunately finished with a narrow 2-point defeat. Well played everyone, the focus now turns to football for the next few weeks, but championship is in mid-June, so keep the hurleys busy!
Team: Fionn McDonnell, Alec Fitzgerald, Dylan Hogan, James Kent, Barry Motherway, Daniel Hickey, Darragh Geary, Padraig Leahy, Keane Kelly Budds (3-1), Andrew Foley, Sean Walsh (0-7), Richie Long (1-0), Olin Hennessy, Jamie Clifford, Kieran Daly. Subs used: Mark O’Callaghan, Robert Sinclair, Ryan McCarthy, Cian McDonald.

Fé 12 Iomáint  Valley Rovers 3-3 Killeagh-Ita’s 3-4.,Valley Rovers 9-3 Killeagh-Ita’s 1-1.
Our Under 12 hurlers travelled to Brinny to play Valley Rovers on Sunday last. It was a fixture of two halves, and two halves within one of those halves. We played two 10-a-side games with Richie Landers’ last minute goal securing a one-point win for Team A, for whom Cian McDonald was outstanding. For Team B, their first half performance was excellent and they only trailed by one point at half time, by 1-1 to 1-0. Unfortunately, the floodgates opened in the second half and, as can happen in under-age games, the scores against us came quickly and often. Lots of learning from this one! Cathal Fitzgibbon tried hardest from first whistle to last, while Danny Cunningham made some good saves in the first half. Back to the football next!