Aghada GAA Club News

09 October, 2012

Sat 6th Oct Minor B Hurling County Final Aghada 0-21 Millstreet 3-13


To score 21 points in a county hurling final and come out on the wrong side of the result by a single point, was very tough luck on our minor hurlers on Saturday last. To say that a draw was the least their gallant efforts deserved would be an understatement. To make matters worse, Aghada were on the attack and full forward Jake O’Donoghue had the ball in his hand, when the referee blew a halt to the proceedings after playing the allotted injury time. Played in ideal sunny conditions in Coachford, and despite playing into the breeze, Aghada led 5 points to 3 points heading towards the final 10minutes of the half. 4 Aaron Stafford frees and one from play from Robbie Steele, made up the Aghada scores. Aghada were coping well at the back, with Shane Dorney, Kane Looney and Conor O’Driscoll to the fore, while upfront, Stephen Murphy, operating at full forward, was proving himself a right handful to the Millstreet defence. Between the 19th and 25th minute the crowd were treated to an end to end score fest. 7 scores in total in a 6 minute spell. Aghada hit 3 of them, all points, while Millstreet hit 4. Significantly however, 2 of these 4 were well taken goals, which rifled the back of the Aghada net. So with 5 minutes to the break Aghada now trailed on a 2-5 v 0 – 8 scoreline. From here to the break both sides exchanged 2 points each. Aghada’s two were both frees from Stafford, earned by Andrew Murphy and Daniel Creedon respectively. Going in at halftime a goal down but playing with the wind in the 2nd period was not a bad position to be in.


Disaster struck from the restart however, when Millstreet struck for their 3rd goal almost immediately. This time, the Aghada defence would be very disappointed, not to have cleared their lines when they had a number of chances to do so. Aghada’s first score of the 2nd half came from play from Stephen Murphy after latching on to a fine ball out of defence from O’Driscoll. Millstreet would go on to hit 6 more points for the rest of the game and all 6 would come from placed balls. The 1st couple of these came in the 9th and 11th minutes to put Millstreet into a commanding 7 point lead. Jake O’Donoghue was sprung from the bench at this point, and though hampered by an ankle injury that prevented him starting; he helped Aghada re-establish a foothold in the game. O Donoghue pointed in the 12th minute and then made a great catch before pointing his second 3 minutes later. In between Stafford pointed a long range free, and though Millstreet had another free of their own, Aghada were now starting to get back in the game. On the 16 minute, the Millstreet ‘keeper made a great safe from a Stafford goal attempt. The resulting scramble gone have gone anywhere, but was eventually cleared by the Millstreet defence. 2 more frees were exchanged by the sides before O’Driscoll hit a super point from play on 19 minutes. When O’Donoghue earned another free, which Stafford converted a minute later, there were only 3 points between the sides again heading for the final 10 minutes. Every ball was fought for manfully by both sides from here. It was a 4 point game on 23 minutes after Millstreet converted another free, but Aghada through Stafford( who finished with a whopping personal tally of 15 points) hit the next 3 points – 1 free, 1 ’65 and 1 from play. Heading into injury time then, it was just the bare minimum between the sides. Again however, Millstreet won a free and all of a sudden it was two points again, but from the puck out Stafford replied with a free for Aghada. And so again, with time as good as up, it was down to a point . Aghada desperately needed to win the next puck out and did, before setting up the attack that was cruelly ended by the referees whistle as the ball made its way into O’Donoghue’s hand. A very harsh way to lose for the Aghada lads, who none the less can be proud of their achievements this year and their performance in what was an absorbing and entertaining final. Well done to all involved. Aghada team and Scorers – James O’Leary,

Shane Crowley, Shane Dorney, Aaron Butler, Conor O’Driscoll (0-1), Jack Hayes, Kane Looney (capt), Mark Healy, Aaron Stafford (0-15, 12 f, 1 ’65), Robbie Steele (0-1), Andrew Murphy, Ryan O’Keeffe, Scott Coyle Garde, Stephen Murphy (0-2), Daniel Creedon. Subs Used: Jake O’Donoghue (0-2), Michael Gilroy.

Our Senior footballers are out in the Senior Football Div 2 league final against Bantry Blues next Sat in Ballineen at 3-00pm. Please keep a look out as this could change to Friday night

This is a great chance to get silverware on the table as well as been promoted to Div 1 for the coming year. both teams met in the very 1st match of the league way back in Feb and here is the report

Sunday Feb19th S F L Div 2 Aghada 1-11 Bantry 1-14

We made the long trip to Bantry last Sunday for the opening game of the senior football league. With in a minute of the start we found ourselves a goal behind. Aghada fought back well scoring the next four points on the trot. A Bantry point followed then Tony Wall was pulled down in side the small square and Cian Fleming duly obliged. Aghada tagged on three more points to lead by 1-7 to 1-1 after twenty minutes of the half. A late rally by the home side saw them hit four points without reply to leave the half time score as Aghada 1-7 Bantry 1-5.

On resumption Bantry upped the anti and took control scoring three points to lead on the 40th m. from then till near the long whistle it was tit for tat as Aghada levelled and Bantry went ahead but then with 5 minutes left on the clock the home side pulled away team and scores Andy O’Donoghue, Stephen Cashman, Billy Hennessy, Ml Gilroy, Shane Wall, Kieran O’Connor, John Connelly, Tom O’Neill, Brendan O’Flaherty, Ml Russell, Ger Melvin (0-2) 1 free, Pearse O’Neill, Tony Wall (0-1), Cian Fleming (1-8) 1-5 frees, John Wall subs used Brian Wall for Cashman 40th m, Tim Hartnett for John Wall 55th m.

Scrap thanks to all who helped out in our scrap drive so far we have raised over ELEVEN GRAND we are still taken in scrap for another week or so. Thanks again


SUPER LOTTO €17,500 JACKPOT at: PUC AR BUILE Thur next: Oct 11th (tickets sponsored by Rosie’s bar) Last’s result winner: none numbers drawn: 2, 13, 19, 20

5 lucky dip winners - Suzanne Higgins – Saleen, Lynda Corigliano – Guileen, Irene Roche - c/o whist club, Brian & Robert Fletcher - Upp Aghada, Mick Ryan - c/o Sean Norris


Sun 7th U14 P2 hurling league Aghada 4-10 Charleville 0-2


Sat 13th Oct Senior F L Div 2 Final E/T Aghada v Bantry Blues at Ballineen 3-00pm

Sun 14th Oct U14 P 2 Football Championship Aghada v Bishopstown at 1-00pm

Aghada have a face book page have a look and tell us if you like it

Please note that fixtures can change, consult the web for up to date information