Lisgoold GAA Club News

02 May, 2012

JAFC 2nd Round

Lisgoold 0-11 (11)
Castlemartyr 0-13 (13)
At Midleton
27th April 2012

Lisgoold venture in this years football championship came to a sudden
halt, Castlemartyr showed greater hunger, desire and more consistency
as they sealed a two point win to head into the quarter-final vs
youghal. While the weather was great and the pitch was in good nick,
the effort offered by both teams matched the interest the general
public had in the game - none. However both teams did manage to
produce 24 scores, so one cant be too critical on the players either,
but the game only came to some kind of life in the last 15 minutes.

So, a good start was needed and we got it from the usual suspects.
John Cronin & Kevin shea were the first to slot over the first few
scores of the evening, but were soon to realise  Castlemarytr were up
for this as Jimmy Smiddy and Eddie Clifford responded. Both teams
tried to get going, but it needed a spark that never came, scores were
traded, with Jamie Stack getting the majority of the for 'The Reds'
while ours was more spread with Barry Ahern, John McCarthy and John
Cronin throwing their weight in (Barry's being one of the scores of
the game.. The only highlights of the half was a fierce battle between
Eoin O'Riordan and Aidan Bowes, and two fantastic opportunities for goal,
but both were Stopped superbly by Michael John Cremin apart from that
the game just drifted into half-time with us ahead at 0-7 to 0-6.

However in the second half Castlemartyr took over and had a wonderful
start for themselves, Jimmy smiddy began to dictate the play, and they
scored 4 points in the opening 10 minutes. This gave them the platform
for victory but Lisgoold made some changes and when Kevin O'Shea had
another goal chance (It was saved brilliantly by cremin - again) the
game finally sparked to life, the pace of the game increased hugely as
the standard of football, only thing that was lacking was finishing.
Points were traded again, with Kevin & Johnsey  for us while Jamie
Stack and Eddie Clifford (who scored an excellent point with a
difficult angle on the 20) responded for Castlemartyr.  This did not
seem to have rattle Lisgoold even though a four point lead had
developed we quickly whittled down to two points in three minutes
however, we could have and probably should have levelled as Gary Stack
had a great chance for a goal but could only manage a white flag. We
had another late opportunity for goal but the castlemartyr defence
held out with Man of the Match Aidan Bowes leading the way for them.
So, time, chances & luck eventually  ran out for us and we were out.
Our congratulations to Castlemartyr who go onto to play Youghal in the
quarter-finals, with the winner playing Fr.O'Neills we wish them the
very  best for the remainder of the championship. As for Lisgoold,
well we are left to rue squandered goal chances a plenty and with some
aimless shooting,that cost us dearly.

Manager Tim Mulcahy had this to say “ It's bitterly disappointing, it
really is. We felt we would have a good chance of winning the
encounter at half-time but it just didn't happen for us. However, you
can't expect to win any championship match having missed 5 goal
chances. Fair play to Castlemartyr on their victory, we will just have
to go back to the drawing board and go again next year."

Team: C Cronin; C McCarthy, N Connery, A Donovan; M O’Connell, J
Hurley, C Walsh, E O'Riordan, B Ahern (Capt); J Cronin, J O'Connell, P
O'Mahony; K O'Shea, J McCarthy, B O'Leary.

Scorers: John Cronin 0-4, Barry Ahern 0-2, Kevin O'Shea 0-2, John
McCarthy, Brian O’Leary, Gary Stack 0-1 each.
Subs: Kieran O’Shea for Charlie McCarthy, Gary Stack for Patrick O'Mahony
Referee: John Buckley (Glanmire).

JFL Division 1
Lisgoold 0-13 (13)
Erins Own 3-2 (11)
At Caterlag
29h April 2012

We managed to come up with a surprising enough result in catherlag last
Sunday night in a very blustery glounthaune venue. Lisgoold managed to
scrape over the line with a battling display from start to finish. A
somewhat mixed selection with Kevin Shea in goals, John Cronin at
centre back, brother Ciarán at centre forward (who had a great game
with 3 points). We battled from start to finish and to be fair
deserved our win a few lapses of concentration left Erins Own in for a
goal just before half-time which made it 1-2 to 0-6 however we grouped
again and grounded out a great win. Seamus McSweeney, Jer O'Connell
and Barry Ahern were upping their game in attack as we rode out the
storm (And the weather) to recorded a great win. To be honest, it was
richly deserved and to be fair the score should have been more if a
few more chances were taken and if erins own were left to score two
other more goals the gap could have been considerably wider. One does
wonder if they re-produced this form last Friday we might have still
be in championship. However, that game is gone and we just have to
happy with another two points gained on the league table. We also like
to thank Barry Day for refereeing the game in such difficult and
trying conditions.


JHL Division 3  Lisgoold v Cobh in Cobh Friday at 7pm.

Lotto Draw 1/05/2012

Numbers: 7, 12, 21 No Winner.

€15 winners:
Jackie Hogan
John Howick
Noelle Purvis
John Joe Regan

Next weeks Jackpot: €1000
Next weeks Venue: Tattans Bar  1/5/2012

Club text

This is a free service in which you will be updated by any latest news
in regards to our club in regards to fixtures, results, notices etc.
Anyone interested in signing up for these texts please text your name
and your number to the club-phone number 087-1149276.