East Cork Junior A Football Final

24 September, 2011

East Cork Junior A Football Championship Final

Glenbower Rovers 0-16 Lisgoold 0-06

By Derek Kiely

In Caherlag

GLENBOWER Rovers cruised to their first ever Michael O'Connor Motor Factors East Cork junior 'A' football championship final success with a ten point win over Lisgoold on Saturday evening at the home of Erin's Own., in Caherlag.

This was a very impressive performance from the Killeagh men who pulled away in the third quarter of this match and the overall performance from Glenbower Rovers was quality from one to fifteen.

A lot of people couldn't call this one, but from the throw in Glenbower had only one intention and that was quick fire attacking football and they had the lead after just 24 seconds of play when wing forward Andrew Walsh pointed for the opening score.

Glenbower dominated for the next three minutes and all the possession yielded another score, this time from the boot of Kieran Lane. It took Lisgoold nine minutes to register their first score, but it was guided over beautifully from John Cronin from a placed ball 35 meters out.

The Killeagh men then took control of the game again with an excellent score from Seamus Harnedy who worked a free from '45' out with a quick one-two pass with Joe Deane and then slotted the ball over. Deane himself was next on target for Glenbower Rovers with an excellent score off the left boot and suddenly with sixteen minutes gone Rovers were three points clear.

Then Barry Aherne was on target for Lisgoold and at this point the Lisgoold men were finding the range with their passing, but the Glenbower full back line were superb throughout and weathered the storm only to break back up the field after some sustained Lisgoold pressure to score through Sean Long. It took another very well taken free from Cronin to narrow the deficit to two points, but just when Lisgoold got within touching distance of Glenbower Rovers up popped another Killeagh forward, this time corner forward John O'Connor with a great score from the right.

Harnedy made it 0-7 to 0-3 on the 27th minute with another good pointed score from play and only for a super save from Ciaran Cronin minutes before half time the match could have nearly been out of reach for Lisgoold.

The save inspired a late first half attack from Lisgoold which forced a free and Kevin O'Shea pointed from the left side of the field out of the hand, for the first half's final score.

On the resumption Glenbower Rovers shot out of the gun with an immediate point from the throw in from Joe Deane. Lisgoold responded through Cronin immediately and it was still a hard game to call at this stage, but Glenbower Rovers then moved into another gear with two scores without reply to lead by five pints with 20 minutes remaining.

Second half Lisgoold substitute John Cashman pointed on the 45th minute, but it was to be Lisgoold's final score of this match. From here on in it was a demonstration in scoring from the men in the Maroon and White as they added six further scores without reply, Deane and O'Connor were scoring at their ease and when the final whistle went, the name Glenbower Rovers was etched on the Jim Ryan Cup for the very first time in a game where there was no question whatsoever that the better team won.

Scorers for Glenbower Rovers: J Deane 0-5, J O'Connor 0-4, S Harnedy 0-3, K Lane, A Walsh, S Long and M Landers 0-1 each.

Scorers for Lisgoold: J Cronin -0-3f, J Cashman, K O'Shea and B Aherne 0-1 each.

GLENBOWER ROVERS: S Scully; T Murphy, P McGrath, P McCarthy (Cpt); C Murphy, C Fogarty, s Murphy; S Harnedy, K Lane; B Collins, J Deane, A Walsh; J O'Connor, M Landers, S Long.

Subs: J Dullea for S Murphy (45) P O'Neill for T Murphy (47)

LISGOOLD: C Cronin; C McCarthy, N Connery, J Hurley; M O'Connell, B O'Leary(Cpt) C Walsh; B Clifford, J Cronin; B Aherne, J O'Connell, P O'Mahony; K O'Shea, W Kingston, J McCarthy

Sub: J Cashman for C McCarthy (38)

Referee: Niall Barrett (Carrigtwohill)

Story of the Game

Best Score - It came early on the eighth minute when Seamus Harnedy and Joe Deane linked up beautifully to set up Glenbower Rovers third score off the game, it showed a sharpness about the Killeagh men.

Turning Point - John O'Connor was injured for Killeagh in the second half with 15 to go, then he got up received the ball and scored a point, this was inspirational stuff for his team mates.

Man of the Match - Brian Collins was fantastic in both halves, but his defensive qualities and reading of the game particularly in the second half was sensational.

Talking Point -Could Killeagh could kill off the game when they led by four points with 16 minutes to go, they certainly answered that question emphatically.

For photos from the game, see the Photos link on the top right of the homepage - courtesy Declan Barron.