Imokilly Hurling 2009

3rd Round Fixture

Tue 23rd June Imokilly v Erins Own @ Carrigtwohill 7-30 ref D Kirwan.

Selectors 2009: Ronan Dwane (Aghada), John Desmond (Watergrasshill), Maurice Ahern (Dungourney), Don Hegarty (Carraig na bhFear)

Erin’s Own survive Imokilly test as Injury time scores pave the way for victory

Erin’s Own 1-15 Imokilly 1-11

Declan Barron reports from Carrigtwohill

Seamus De Barra Memorial Park in Carrigtwohill hosted the 3rd round meeting of Erin’s Own, and its divisional team Imokilly, in the Evening Echo sponsored Cork senior hurling championship on Tuesday of last week. A beautiful evening for hurling saw a handy crowd gather in expectation of a close contest.

It turned out to be nail-biting at the finish, as the closing five minutes, and three additional minutes of injury time, had more packed into it that the previous 55 minutes, which were disappointing to say the least. Imokilly unlike their football counterparts started brightly, but they were to have a continuing radar problem throughout the opening half, as eleven wides tell a story of failing to turn possession into scores. In contrast Erin’s Own were much more economical in possession, while Eoghan Murphy had his eye in from placed balls.

It took five minutes for the first point to arrive from Alan Bowen, and he was to be the Erin’s Own saviour late on as his injury time goal propelled the 2007 champions to victory. Imokilly with Billy Murphy and Paddy O’Regan prominent, were dominant and their first quarter lead of 0-4 to 0-2 did not flatter them, as they shot six wides in the same period. Leigh Desmond who did manage one point, was the guilty party on most occasions, while Stephen O’Keefe had their other point from play with Paddy O’Regan pointing two frees.

In contrast Erin’s Own with Pat Fitzgerald, Shane Murphy and Peter Kelly keeping them in the game, gradually improved and with Eoghan Murphy unerring from free’s, the Caherlag outfit drew level and then pulled clear coming up to half time, as they shot six points without reply. Imokilly finished the half with good scores from the industrious Brendan Ring, and Eddie Enright as they trailed by 0-6 to 0-8 at half time.

On the resumption it was Erin’s Own who were to take up the running, with two quick points from Sean Kelly, and Eoghan Murphy, putting them into a four point lead, while Kieran Murphy was also winning a lot of ball. It might have been greater but Ciáran Cronin brought off a great save to deny Kelly a goal, after Leigh Desmond had shot a fine point for Imokilly. The introduction of Ger O’Leary, and Trevor O’Keeffe for the divisional side, added to some positional switches, saw Imokilly again claw their way back into contention, as points from Desmond, Stephen O’Keeffe and Paddy O’Regan brought them to within a point of Erin’s Own, who had stretched their advantage with two magnificent points from Stephen Cronin.

Going into the final ten minutes Erin’s Own led by 0-13 to 0-11 but that was soon to change, as a great run and handpass by Trevor O’Keeffe set up Eddie Enright, for a lead goal for Imokilly, who were now looking very strong. Erin’s Own are made of stern stuff however, and when the need was greatest, they first found an equaliser on the stroke of full time with Brian Clifford pointing. With a draw now looking likely Erin’s Own summoned up one final surge, that saw Alan Bowen escape the shackles of Billy Murphy, and he finished superbly to the net to leave Erin’s Own a goal to the good, as time began to run out. Midfielder Sean Kelly then landed an insurance point, after a poor Imokilly clearance. It was now the turn of Imokilly to go in search of match saving scores, and while Trevor O’Keeffe came close to a goal, he was closed out as Erin’s Own came good in injury time, to book their quarter final spot. Imokilly will look back on those opening quarter misses as their downfall, while referee Diarmuid Kirwan also came under scrutiny as his handling of the advantage at times, was borderline, as frees were committed but not given, much to the annoyance of the mentors. Such is sport however and at the end of the day it was Erin’s Own that showed the hunger when the need was greatest.

Erin’s Own: A Bowen 1-1, E Murphy 0-7, S Kelly and S Cronin 0-2 each, B Clifford, K Murphy and M O’Carroll 0-1 each.

Imokilly: E Enright 1-1, L Desmond 0-4, P O’Regan 0-3, S O’Keeffe, B Lawton and B Ring 0-1 each

Erin’s Own: S Bowen, B McHugh, P Fitzgerald, S Murphy, S Cronin, P Kelly, R O’Carroll, S Kelly, K Murphy, C O’Connor, Kieran Murphy, A Bowen, M O’ Carroll, M O’Connor and E Murphy. Subs used B Clifford and I Quinlan

Imokilly: C Cronin, B Murphy, N O’Riordan, L Greaney, M Galvin, S O’Leary, M Hickey, P O’Regan, E Enright, P O’Brien, L Desmond, S O’Keeffe, B ring, B Lawton and P Butler. Subs used G O’Leary and T O’Keeffe.

Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan, Eire Og.

Evening Echo Senior Hurling Championship: Imokilly Defeat Avondhu

Imokilly 2-18 Avondhu 2-13

In what proved to be a less than exciting encounter, Imokilly disposed of Avondhu with considerably more ease than the scoreline suggests. There was little to choose between the sides for the first ten minutes of this game, played in Fermoy on May 11th, with Avondhu opening the scoring through a Jonathan O’Callaghan free, while Leigh Desmond rattled the net for Imokilly. Only a fine save from keeper Kieran Cronin denied Avondhu a certain goal in the 6th minute, but from here on Imokilly’s dominance was absolute. In defence, Billy Murphy and Liam Greaney worked hard, and scores came thick and fast as the East Cork men powered into a 1-8 to 0-3 lead before Desmond buried another. The game appeared to be effectively over as a contest at half-time, as Imokilly led 2-13 to 0-4.

The second half told a different story, however. Avondhu notched up three points before top scorer Leigh Desmond got Imokilly on the scoreboard again, ten minutes into the half. Imokilly appeared to ease off as the game progressed, and this allowed Avondhu to come back into it. The North Cork team dominated the second half, having outscored Imokilly by 1-9 to 0-5 before a 21-yard free in injury time hit the back of the net to narrow the gap to just 5 points. Despite this, however, the outcome was never really in doubt and Imokilly progress to Round 3.

Scorers for Imokilly: Leigh Desmond 2-7 (0-4f, 0-1 65), Brendan Ring 0-3, Paddy O’Regan, Liam Greaney, 0-2 each, Eddie Enright, Pat O’Brien, Ronan Spillane, Brian Lawton 0-1 each.

Imokilly: K. Cronin (Lisgoold), B. Murphy (Fr. O’Neill’s), M. Galvin (Aghada), L. Greaney (Cobh), M. Hickey (Carraig na bhFear), S. O’Leary (Watergrasshill), N. O’Riordan (Watergrasshill), P. O’Regan (Watergrasshill) (Capt.), P. Butler (Fr. O’Neill’s), P. O’Brien (Watergrasshill), E. Enright (Watergrasshill), L. Desmond (Youghal), B. Ring (Youghal), B. Lawton (Castlemartyr), R. Spillane (Carraig na bhFear). Subs: S. O’Keeffe (Aghada) for P. Butler, B. Smiddy (Castlemartyr) for M. Hickey, P. Murphy (Carraig na bhFear) for R. Spillane, T. O’Keeffe (Aghada) for E. Enright.

Avondhu: K Walsh, D Coughlan, R. Relihan, D. Relihan, K. Curtin, B. O’Sullivan, D. Fitzgerald, M. Burke, J. Shaughnessy, D. Moher, P. O’Brien, D. Flynn, J. O’Callaghan, M. Gamell, J. Murphy.